Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Northern Irish Driving license + points??

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2001, 02:11 PM
GavM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Does any one know if you can get points put on a Northern Irish driving license if caught speeding in England?

Cheers,

Gav
Old 17 September 2001, 04:18 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

My licence is a UK licence. As the UK includes Northern Ireland I imagine that points gained in either country apply across the UK. Does your NI licence not have "UK" printed on it somewhere?
Old 17 September 2001, 04:58 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Yes - My sister in law got three on hers last week. Bit of a weird on really. She learned to drive in the North, lives in the south and was caught speeing in England. She has three driving licences (NI, Eire and EU I think) so she handed over her NI one for the points, safe in the knowledge she has another 33 points to play with
Old 17 September 2001, 05:03 PM
super slider
Scooby Regular

But in 1991 I got tailed by a then unknown to me unmarked police car. I was traveling at approx 108mph on the 2 lane motorway round Belfast. The car flashed its lights, still not realising it was a police car I speeded up to get past the cars in the inner lane to let it through. When I pulled over, it put its blue lights on. I was in court for doing an average speed of 118mph. I hired a solicitor and he said , one of the reasons I was there was to see the country (ie sightsee), to which the judge replied 'you can't have seen much of the scenery at 118mph'! .I already knew that if I got banned it would NOT apply in England as it is a diferrent road traffic act but I did not want to have to tell any insurance company or lie. I got off with a suspended speeding sentence which no insurance company had ever heard of !
I would guess therefore that points do not apply to the other country due to my experience but it might have changed.
Michael
Old 17 September 2001, 05:25 PM
GavM
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Fast Bloke-You may find that your sister in law gets her license returned without points. I got 3 points for a parking offence and license was sent back quoting "we cannot endorse foreign license". Got my cheque returned the following week as well.
Now been done for speeding and they are adding on the parking offence so wondering where i stand!

Jerome-Does have UK on license but as stated two different traffic acts etc- DVLA and DVLNI

Old 17 September 2001, 07:42 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

I took my test in the south - then transfered the licence to a NI one when I came to the mainland. I thought it would be a good wheeze to ramp up points on the mainland safe in the knowledge that my licence "looked" clean.

However, any points you aquire on the mainland are "stored" - so when I came to apply for a UK licence, I had 6 points They also check to see if you are banned in the UK - if you are then thats a separate offence.

Ran around with a NI & a UK for a while, but couldn't discern any benefit 'cept for once when I was stopped by a City of London plod who couldn't be "ar$ed with the paperwork" (his words & told me to "eff off & look as though I'd just received 3 pts" when another likely (UK licenced ) candidate hove into view Also once "advised" by an NI Met officer to run 2 licences - as he did!
Old 18 September 2001, 09:20 AM
jjr1
Scooby Regular

You have two seperate licences definitely as I have the same thing at the moment. 12 points on my UK and 6 on my NI. If caught in NI on a UK licence just get my lawyer to appear before the court and tell them a load of horse****e and bobs your uncle!

Unfortunately I am now running out of spare capacity so may have to slow down a touch.
Old 18 September 2001, 05:43 PM
GavM
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cheers for the comments.
Looks like i will have to apply for my UK license before court case.
Didn't realise you could hold both at the same time.
Presume if i get banned i can't continue driving on NI license.