Focus RS driven in latest Top Gear mag

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2001, 10:50 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

By.....Colin McRae.

It reads a bit like those local paper reviews of new cars with lots of praise and a smidge of a problem with something insignificant.

Weight= 1250Kg
Power= beyond 200BHP (why, can't they decide on a reliable power level?)
Torque= 236lb ft (but they know exactly this figure???)
Launch= October but now delayed to next year due to 'severe testing' (it unexpectedly breaks down)
Trim/kit= sparco seats, 6 CD, air con, boost gauge and a 25KG down force spoiler. (I like the idea of a std boost gauge, oh and a starter button!)
Price= around £20K

The review can't help but make a comparison with the WRX saying "the RS pulls claenly, but not devestatingly quickly, away from the 215BHP WRX". WELL OF COURSE IT DOES - it's being driven by Colin 'supa dupa' McRae!!!!! Er hold on a minute, in that case shouldn't it be absolutely storming away from the WRX then? Or is Colin having to drive the socks off the RS to pull away from the WRX with the 'ordinary' driver.

But it does have a nice shift light after 5000rpm, which Colin promptly ignores. So if it's good enough for him to ignore then mister warranty man, it's good enough for the punter in the street to copy him?

The only thing that Colin disliked was the dampers which couldn't cope with 'yumps' and ran out of travel. But no one will ever discover this as no normal driver will go as quick as Colin on or off the public road

"right from 2000rpm to 6500rpm you won't even feel the turbo" Is this good then, I quite like the shove in the back when on boost? I guess they're trying to say it's smoooth.

As you can see this is by far my most provocative post to date but as I near 500 posts (do I get a prize?) I think I've earnt it! To sum up the RS, that girlie singer Shania Twain (sp?) says "that dont'a impressa me much").

F

Old 06 September 2001, 11:20 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Floyd,
What a great post
no doubt it will be de-tuned for the uk thou and the grp 20 insurance will put most people off and the fact that it looks like it could have quite a few teething problems...

Tony
Old 06 September 2001, 11:27 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Oh, forgot to mention that Top Gear will be back next year on the telly. Yes, we still get to see the loverly VBH - hopefully the prog will get all maxy-p'd and Vicky will have her ti.s out for us (the down side is that Tiff may do a mooney to match) .

F
Old 07 September 2001, 07:36 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think I will wait for the Cossie Focus...now that will be a monster.

Ro.
Old 07 September 2001, 07:50 AM
SD
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by RoShamBo:
<B>Think I will wait for the Cossie Focus...now that will be a monster.

Ro.[/quote]

Ford have already announced that there will not be a Cosworth version of the current Focus. It is to expensive to engineer the 4wd hardware apparently. There may be a Cossie version of the next Focus though.

The "pulling cleanly away" quote makes reference to straight line acceleration once rolling. We all know that the Impreza would beat it off the line thanks to 4wd but the RS looks like it'll have superior power to weight and being 2wd will have lower transmission losses so the "pulling cleanly away" reference is entirely believable.
Old 07 September 2001, 08:10 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Wink

Guess it was a dry day on straight roads then

dont ask me why Im guessing that tho

robski
Old 07 September 2001, 10:56 AM
smanning
Scooby Regular

Just a slight correction....

there WILL be a cosworth focus. Not till 2003 / 2004. But it will be there.... eventually.

Trust me.
Old 07 September 2001, 11:04 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Why should we trust you?

Do you work for ford?

an if it is gonna be 2003 isn't it possible it will be the new focus by then?

Incidentally when the design registrations come through to my office for the ford focus cosworth, I will let you all know (maybe ). This normally happens before they stick them out on stands at motor shows.
Old 07 September 2001, 09:41 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Question

Adam

Why do you get to see designs then, are you some sort of certification/approvals body? Or do you work for Ford?

F
Old 07 September 2001, 10:24 PM
JKJ2
Scooby Regular

I suspect ths new RS Focus is going to be a big threat to the Mk II Impreza. It's based on an already excellant handling car and is stacked with top quality aftermarket parts, the RS badge has always been worth mega brownie points.
In its racing blue, Brembo brakes and std 18" OZ wheels it will look superb and stop equally as well, and with the Mk II impreza's performance being what it is, it's there for the taking, it all depends if Ford have sorted out the front suspension to stop it jacking up on acceleration. Lets hope they test it on a really rainy day.