petrolhead
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IM ??
Old 11 October 2002, 09:15 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

"International Motors", importers of Subaru and Isuzu (and others? can't recall) in the UK.

Please, keep anything posted factual in this thread otherwise it will go. Scoobynet has to show due diligence in removing libellous content.
Old 11 October 2002, 11:05 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Are IM the only company allowed to import these cars or what?

If they are giving such crap service why has nobody pointed the Monopolies commission in their direction or investigated setting up their own franchise.
Old 11 October 2002, 11:09 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I *think* that territory-wide exclusive deals are still allowed, but I really don't know. Could it be something to do with block exemption from trade laws that cars currently enjoy - but are about to end?

Old 11 October 2002, 11:20 AM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

The "territory-wide deal" is going to be carried on until 2005. After this dealers will be able to source their cars from any where they like. This means Subaru dealers in the UK will be able to buy their cars from Holland etc, hopefully passing the savings on to us. When this happens IMO IM will have to bring there prices in line with Europe or they will go under.
Old 11 October 2002, 11:31 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy

"Dealers passing their savings on to us".
Bwaaa haaa haaa haaa haaa haaa !!
Best one I've heard all day. Keep it up, it's better than the "jokes" we get on the "Non-Scooby related forum".
Seriously, IMO, it'll be a cold day in hell b4 the motor industry starts treating the "cash-cow" that is Britain fairly. Not when Honda can manufacture a car here, ship it all the way to Japan, and sell it for less than an equivalent, lesser specced car sells for here!
Not when the bigger manufacturers are trumpeting huge savings on previous prices, but when you look closer, cars are still cheaper over there.
Not when HM government says there is no problem.
Don't hold your breath for savings, m8, it ain't gonna happen
All IMHO of course.:
Alcazar
Old 11 October 2002, 11:53 AM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

IM are in business to make money and whatever Mr Edmiston wants to spend his company's money on is fine.

Unfortunately there does not appear to be much space in today's world for enthusiastic owners or caring, independent dealers.

What would be 'nice' is some of the old-fashioned values to come back into play and remind IM how it became so successful. Unfortunately the only values that do appear to be around now are the ones that aren't worth having.
Old 11 October 2002, 01:57 PM
SUNDAY DRIVER
Scooby Regular

Legendary?? Interesting description for the current wrx there now.
Old 11 October 2002, 02:01 PM
Vate
Scooby Regular

Excellent point.
Of course he may run his company as he sees fit.
However judging by the fact that Subaru UK are running adverts such as those I mentioned in tabloids suggests that they have become a victim of their own ignorance believing that the success of Impreza sales is a forgone conclusion. They would have been better off buying a greater number of 'classic' shape cars and selling them still. Obviously they purchased bug-eyes in too larger quantities.
As was also mentioned many owners are enthusiasts which is reflected in the way that Subaru have listened to owners in the past and update each MY according to the feedback from owners. MY99 is virtually the same as Prodrive upgraded older MY for example (spoiler, quicker gear shift, brakes etc.).
To ignore the fact that you have a cult following of enthusiasts is surely suicidal.
Most owners I speak to would rather buy a car from Europe and have a good quality warranty from a 3rd party and have their servicing carried out by Scoobysport, TSL and the like.
Old 11 October 2002, 02:17 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

alcazar,

I did say "hopefully"

From 2005 European dealers will also be allowed to set up shop in the UK and sell cars at European prices thus killing of the likes of IM. There will be no such thing as a UK car anymore, more like a European car IMO.
Old 11 October 2002, 02:47 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Just as long as you get our car prices and not the other way round I don't mind
Old 10 November 2002, 09:03 AM
Vate
Scooby Regular

IM are obviously desperate as they have placed an advert in the Daily Mail today proclaiming the chance to drive a 'Legendary car at a oncein a lifetime price', unless of course you were to go the import route and then the saving could be many times during your life.
The thing which caught my eye is the warranty disclaimer (excluding clutch driven plate). This is a new one on me. I didn't see this for the old MY00 I have? No special exclusions apart from wear and tear.
Now,I may be a little slow off the mark but I did not realise that IM is run by the former Jensen folk and is basically controlled by one very wealthy individual. PERHAPS This MAY explains all the REPORTED problems the dealers have regarding margin etc. and also why IM ALLEDGEDLY take a large profit margin.

-Edited to remove personal opinion and anything that may be misconstrued.

[Edited by Vate - 10/11/2002 9:54:08 AM]