Tony you forgot

Lack of low down torque
extra weight
silly six speed
understeer
body roll
IMHO interior
.....and need I say looks

Your arguments obviously explain why old outdated and unloved P1s are still selling for more money than STI7s at dealerships . Or why mags such as EVO still rate them over STi 7s and The EVO 7.

Give an STI 7 a handling pack and PPP and maybe youve got something a P1 owner might want.

All IMHO of course

[Edited by wilf - 10/3/2002 2:12:34 PM]
Old 10 May 2002, 05:42 PM
Steve Fort
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cant be arsed to read all of this thread (just seems like aload of girls arguing in a playground!), but with reference to the original question, i've just replaced my modified uk MY00 (about 260bhp) with a P1. I was afraid that i was not going to notice much difference, i was very wrong!!
The P1 is simply amazing to drive. It really does work well as a package and you can appreciate the thought and design that has gone into it to make it feel this good. I've realised that my previous MY00, that i'd previously thought was perfection, was actually pretty crap.
I've never driven an RB5 (normal or WR), but i'd assume that they would not be much different to a modified MY00, in which case, there is no comparison to a P1. Drive one and you'll see what i mean.

PS, Don't really care how good an sti7 is because theyre big and ugly !

[Edited by Steve Fort - 10/5/2002 5:54:22 PM]
Old 03 October 2002, 11:22 AM
R.B.5
Scooby Regular

Already have an RB5 and am thinking of changing for a P1 on an X plate with 28k on the clock. Its up for 23k. Should i go for it or would i not benefit from chaning the car considering i have the next best thing??

Old 03 October 2002, 11:38 AM
JayCole
Scooby Regular

23k sounds a little high on an X reg P1 doesn't it. I bught my W Reg P1 with 26k on the clock for 20250. Totally un marked and FSSH etc etc.

Just my opinion though
Old 03 October 2002, 11:38 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

For 23k you should be able to pick up a newish STi7, then go buy the PPP for it
This car is rated better than a P1 (even though the P1 is quicker in terms of power) and the STi7 is better in terms of handling
Ok if you dont like the bug eyes then the P1 is what you want (or get a cheaper STi5 type R and source a P1 ecu from somewhere )

Tony
Old 03 October 2002, 11:50 AM
turb0s
Scooby Regular

stick with the RB5 m8,

much better all round car, u know the car and unless ur unhappy with it, y change?

how much have they offered urs in p/x
Old 03 October 2002, 11:50 AM
BigMikeyBoy
Scooby Regular

I also have an RB5,with the full WR Sport makeover and have been toying with the idea of chopping it in for a P1 for a while now. I love mine to bits and admitedly i am finding it hard to justify spending the extra cash for a P1, but you never know, if the right onr was to come along!
However, after looking at the MY03 shaped STI i could be tempted to save some more pennies and go for that as it does look a sexy motor!
Just my two penneth worth,

Laters

Mikey
Old 03 October 2002, 11:54 AM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

I'd stick with the RB5. It'd be different if it was any other Impreza, but the RB5 is a well sorted car. Change the alloys, tint the windows or something that will make the car look different, then you'll forget about the P1 for a while.
Old 03 October 2002, 11:56 AM
R.B.5
Scooby Regular

16k px value for mine. 3 grand down and its balancing out the same per month! Dont get me wrong i love my RB5 but i like the fact the P1 has two doors stiffer chassis and 280bhp. Isn't the P1 more or less an WRX STI v6 less diff control etc?
Old 03 October 2002, 01:24 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

STI 7 better than a P1. Dont make me laugh

Old 03 October 2002, 01:30 PM
medders
Scooby Regular

Agree with Wilf. Who rates sti7 above P1?
Sti7 with PPP maybe (when it arrives )
Old 03 October 2002, 01:31 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

The P1 started life as an STi 5 type R.

I had this two years ago, second hand RB5WR, brand new Type RA or a P1. To me both the RB5 and P1 were well over priced compared the to RA so I brought the RA. At the time it had better than P1 performance and was new for second hand RB5WR money, best of both worlds .
Old 03 October 2002, 01:35 PM
turb0s
Scooby Regular

save money and get the MY03,

now thats something even i would p/x my RB5 in for!!!

16k p/x seems pretty good deal but to shell out that much extra on a car that has slightly more power.

do u think u could get on with the 2 door!!!

i have plenty in the past and i have to admit having the 4 doors is much more easier, especially with kids getting in and out.

at the end of the day its down to ur own personal taste and desires m8
Old 03 October 2002, 01:59 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ah i see there are a few none believers that the P1 is a better car than the STi7 if so you had best think again
The STI7 is a better all round car than the P1, the advantage the P1 has over the STi7 is that it is lighter and thus quicker but the STi7 is much more confidence enspiring on the twisties due to the SureTrac diffs.
Now if you want to argue that the components are just as good on the P1 we can start with the brakes on the STi7 if you want then the semi close deck block that the P1 doesnt have, along with a better clutch and gearbox, vvc, stiffer shell etc... do you wish me to continue?
All those who think a P1 is a better car are actually wrong it is a rawer car though and probably feels more lively over the Sti7 but i wouldnt rate a car with the sort of weak mechanics of the later classic STi's over one thats had more thought go into it (and have you ever wondered why Prodrive never made a PPP for the P1? and how many P1 owners have had engines replaced???) i think that says it all

Tony
Old 03 October 2002, 02:04 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

STI7 needs a PPP due to power to weight which is less than an MY00 standard UK turbo . P1 has 276 as standard . Even an STI7 with a PPP has a worse PTW than a P1
Old 03 October 2002, 02:15 PM
medders
Scooby Regular

And I've never heard a reviewer say that the sti7 is "the best yet"

Didn't EVO put the P1 above ALL uk cars including the 7 ?

Old 03 October 2002, 05:30 PM
MarkWRX
Scooby Regular

I think you'll find Evo describe the Sti7 TypeUK as "Possibly the best Impreza yet" and thats without the PPP
Old 03 October 2002, 05:38 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Wink

Its also probably the best lager in the world
Old 03 October 2002, 05:40 PM
SiWhite
Scooby Regular

Wink

I seem to remember that in Evo a few months ago when they did their annual test of the best performance car they bought back a P1 (last years winner) and said they were amazed how quickly the P1 aserted itself over the whole of the field they had lined up for this year. As far as I recall the Sti7 was nowhere to be seen

Old 03 October 2002, 05:41 PM
loddrik2
Scooby Regular

"my impreza's better than your impreza, blah, blah, blah"
Old 03 October 2002, 05:50 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Wilf,
Number of STi type UK's for sale at dealerships... virtually 0, number of P1's? lots!
Now that does say it all

Tony
Old 03 October 2002, 05:53 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

..number of pre-reg or nearly new sti7s for sale....

trouble is virtually can mean anthing >1
Old 03 October 2002, 06:10 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Wilf, there are no pre reg STi's available, the next batch is feb next year, it took over 18months to clear the 1000 P1's it took less than 6 months to clear the 1000 STi7's shows you where the demand is and you should try that 6 speed box its designed to keep the car in the power band when your going for it and it does its job much better than any scoob previously (and its not based on a 25yr old design!)
As for the understeer.. lol! well i have to say that yes you do get it on the STi7, there is a way round it though, you keep your foot planted and the car takes you round the corners but then again all subaru impreza's understeer so there aint no difference there
Like i said before, the P1 is rawer than the STi7, but the quality and sheer ability of the STi7 is much better, no its not as quick, it is heavier and it did win top gears drivers car of the year
If you gave me the choice of owning a P1 or an STi7 (Prodrive ) then i would go with the STi7, its years ahead in everything, it has everything that the P1 should have had in the first place (big brakes, decent lights, solid interior etc )
And if you think that im bias, i own an MY00 scoob, its quicker in a straight line than an STi7 and can keep up with a P1, but id still have that STi7

Tony
Old 03 October 2002, 06:33 PM
turb0s
Scooby Regular

anyway, getting back to RB5 or P1
Old 03 October 2002, 06:43 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

I'd stick with the RB5 m8.

You won't get a lot of improvement (if any) from the P1 and yes I've driven both and I own an RB5.

When I bought my car I could have had a P1 for 7 grand more but it just wasn't worth it.

Mike

Old 03 October 2002, 07:04 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Red face

I knew there were a few blinkered people on the BBS, but I thought their misguided agression was aimed solely at the non-scooby driver. I don't remember the last time we saw such blind loyalty between models.

Face it, the P1 and STi 7 are completely different cars, and to directly compare them is a pointless and meaningless excercise.

The P1 is a superb car, is mechanically quite different,and is still rightly regarded as the ultimate example of the 'classic' Impreza, and a model many people aspire to. Despite the protestations of the odd moron, convinced they would be sold for less than 20k more than two years ago.

The two, completely different, STi 7 prodrive cars I've recently driven were excellent cars to drive, but completely different in power, ride and handling, and with gearing and power issues at the bottom and top of the rev range. Much as I wanted to hate it, I couldn't.

The STi is a far more comfortable and sedate experience than the P1, with less noise and vibration, and that's what some people prefer. Personally I prefer my P1, but acknowledge it's faults. Oh, and yes it was a little overpriced, but you pay your money and your take choice.

There's no doubt the STi is a good car, and sold well, but look at the price difference. Even dealers who'd planned their own modified special editions were forced to scrap the project in the face of such low pricing.

I asked someone, whose opinion I hold in very high regard, what I should do next, and was told that the only suitable replacement for the P1 would be an STi with PPP. Well it should be, for close to P1 money.

Finally, with regard to the amount of P1s for sale, they're now 2-3 years old, and people are looking to replace them, in the same way they'll be a flood of STi 7s in a couple of years. At which time I'm sure the same people will be using that as a reason to put the 7 down.

Oh, and I'd keep the RB5 for a while, and see what the new STi's like. I'm hanging on until the STi 8 arrives before I decide what to do.

Josh
Old 04 October 2002, 08:08 AM
R.B.5
Scooby Regular

I know it is down to my personal preference but at the end of the day reading the responses on this thread i have come to a conclusion.

The P1 is more raw and definately looks nicer than the new STI7(imo). It has more power than the standard STI7 and is still holding its value well.

These are however two different cars and there really is not much point in comparing them. The only thing i would say is that if you want the looks go for the P1, if you want the "new car" aspect and a little less power then go for the STI7. Warranty issues could be explored and the STI7 would win as it has that 3 year thingmybob!

What people are forgeting is that the thread was meant to spark interest in what to have between an RB5 and a P1. STI7 doesn't really come into the picture. I am not really a great fan of the styling on the STI7 but will admit it is growing on me.

Anyway thanks for the replies and i think i should close this thread with my RB5 sitting on my drive for another year!

Old 04 October 2002, 08:44 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Angry

Surprising how, if the P1's so w4nk, there is so much chat about it on here.

Follow your heart, test drive a P1 and enjoy whatever you choose - ignore the bigoted uninformed nobbers on here, mate.

Gordo

Old 04 October 2002, 09:15 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Gordo, I can sleep now.

Bigoted. That's the perfect description for some of the posts. Just couldn't think of it when I posted.

Josh
Old 04 October 2002, 09:37 AM
JimmyRB5PRO
Scooby Regular

As you say i would stick with the RB5, as possibly apart from the P1 - even though their are 1000 - RB5 444, withthe WR Sport pack only about 150 left ??? Which is more exclusive ? I read a report byt classes guide and Parkers that estimated that a good condition P1 would be on traders forecourts in December 2002 for an average of £19K , so by December this year your RB5 with be worth at least £14-15K at a dealer so value for money at the moment the P1's are still goi ng to looose a bit, wait till the MY03 is out and then the new MYo3 STI and a good P1 should be about £18K and we are only talking 6 months ?
If you hadn't guessed i too have an RB5 WR Sport and have gone through the same thought process a couple of times and ended up staying with her !!!!!!

RB5 Nos 391.

Quick Reply: RB5 or P1?