Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY03 techincal differences

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2002, 12:27 PM
Woz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been away for a week, so sry if this is an old topic. Anyone got info on how the technical spec is different on the MY03? Obvious cosmetic face surgery, but wot about the organs? I've read the engines are different/more powerful...but no details. Stiffer suspension?

If there's a thread I missed, link will be much appreciated
thanks
Woz
Old 01 October 2002, 02:56 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Engine stays pretty much the same but with a revised exhaust manifold to boost power to 225 BHP and improve throttle responsiveness.

Suspension tweaked from what I have read by improving the valving on the shock absorbers to improve the ride. Steering sharpened up but not read by what or how.

Interior improved with better quality fabric on the seats, different metallic look centre console (darker on WRX I think) - centre rev counter for WRX (as per STi). Probably more but check www.iwoc.co.uk for better info.
Old 01 October 2002, 02:59 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

225bhp or 225PS ???
Old 01 October 2002, 03:53 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

good point - not sure (it's not a great deal more either way!), I suspect the gains will be felt more than they appear on paper.
Old 01 October 2002, 06:04 PM
Woz
Scooby Regular

thanks chaps. I heard the block is a 2.2? is that correct? not much gain in bhp/ps if it is. If its the same block, not much diff to the MY02, that an exhaust swap wont fix. wonder if its heavier with that meaty bumper. I've tried a few searches on sites today, being a drivers car, its a bit annoying that the proper spec is not finalised with the plastic surgery...sure we like the looks, but is it quicker, more power/weight, handling improvent, less lag...etc. I'm off home...
Old 01 October 2002, 06:20 PM
Eagle7
Scooby Regular

2.2, you'll be lucky! only with some engine mods

the sti has variable valve timing like the current model.
Old 01 October 2002, 06:33 PM
DuggE4
Scooby Regular

What worries me (and it should Subaru) is that the WRX's performance figures are hardly likely to be much better if it is going to be heavier and with a Focus RS doing 100 in 15 odd secs and a Civic type-R in 16 odd secs, I think the WRX is going to have its work cut out. Perhaps IM should throw PPP in for free :O))))) then it would have a competitive motor!!!! both in terms of price and performance!
Old 01 October 2002, 06:44 PM
PAUL GEE
Scooby Regular

Quotes taken from Japanese magazine site.....

Now to the stuff you can't see! As briefly mentioned above, the front end on the WRX STi has been revised to improve rigidity, with the aim being to minimise camber changes while cornering. That sees the front sub frame and mounts reinforced and the addition of the "cross performance bar" taken straight from the almighty S202. To complement that huge scoop and the better aerodynamics, the inter-cooler water spray has been revised to improve charge cooling further.

Another bit you can't see is the revised ECU on the WRX - with the wider availability of 98RON fuel in Europe, the Subaru gurus have seen fit to re-tune the ECU for the extra, and more controlled bang. The result is a nice lift in the output to 225hp, along with improvements to driveability in the low and midrange as well. Side airbags are now available with the sports seats on the WRX, and a leather interior with/or without side airbags is also available.

While we were a little surprised that more of the front end geometry lessons from the WRX STi type RA Spec C (phew - what a mouthful!) did not make it to the MY03, the smaller steering wheel and stiffening should prove a good improvement in itself on the STi, while the ECU tweaks will be welcomed on the WRX. The subtle improvements and not so subtle new face should see the WRX selling even better than ever.