Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now its run in...

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2002, 05:44 PM
Eldar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just finished running in my new WRX. Standard, except for the rear exhaust section. I've not been near a dual carriageway or motorway yet - this is darkest Cumbria, with lots of narrow windy roads

Likes - performance, brakes and handling all excellent. Comfortable to drive and nothing has falled off Fuel consumption 22mpg, better than I expected. Exhaust sounds like a properly tuned up VW beetle...

Disliked - gearing is less than ideal, 1st OK, 2nd too high, 3rd a bit too high, 4th is what 5th should be and 5th is useless, except as overdrive. I suppose it may be useful on motorways... Seems like the gearing is trying to get fastest accelleration to 62mph, and nice looking steady speed fuel consumption for the adverts. The standard radio/castette/cd looks nice, but sounds standard cheap and nasty.

Couple of questions - I cant see any difference in performance or drivability between ordinary unleaded and optimax, dealer says the ordinary is OK, so it it worth paying more for optimax?

Second, the front brakes get extremely hot, even without thrashing the brakes, and they don't seem to be binding. I noticed when a neighbours dog pissed on the front wheel about 10 minutes after I got home, and the hiss and cloud of steam made it jump 2 feet in the air....

Colin.
Old 01 October 2002, 05:58 PM
Barnaby
Scooby Regular

I noticed quite a lot of fade on my standard WRX when driving fast four-up. So it might be the brakes do just get quite hot.

Still might be worth getting them checked out though.
Old 01 October 2002, 07:10 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Yep agree about the gears, I reckon this may be anothe reason why it's a little slower than the old shape... tend to use 4th most of the time, but on the motorways 5th is handy..

stereo isn't so hot but a darn sight better than my MY99's still beter than nowt and I don't plan to upgrade as I only lease for 2 years.

Not noticed too much fade myself, but I did get them roasting in France, 34 degrees to start and then some awesome thrashes!!!

Now done 7,000 miles and it's still slower than the old one by a country mile... sometimes I reckon my G reg Nissan Sunny 1.6 GL feels quicker...

That said still love the car and hope to be able to afford an STI next time round.

Dave