Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first Scoob...ra or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2002, 02:53 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine is version 6 WRX type RA (non sti) and has the 19mph/1000 5th ratio. I agree with all the comments about ratios, they are stunning to drive power on through the gear is something else. Not much good for motorways 80mph is over 4000rpm in 5th. Mine like JF's has all the creautre comforts SWRT ble alcantara seats, full electric pack although mine doesnt have the WI and diff controller but has ABS . This isnt my first turbo scoob either my first one was a 98 UK and was easier more relaxed to drive but slower. Depends on what you want. Insurance could be interesting have you had a quote yet. I had a quote on a £50K F355 which was only £200 a year more .

[Edited by chrisp - 10/1/2002 2:56:07 PM]
Old 30 September 2002, 11:26 PM
Flyboy-F33
Scooby Regular

About to get my first WRX, Have looked at a few including 2 ra's
Its obvious they they are pretty quick, but I'm wondering if I can live with close ratio gearing on a daily basis. Anyone been through a similar dilema? Any advise will be greatfully received especially on the question as to how re-sellable are they?
So...would you buy a standard car or an RA
GG
Old 01 October 2002, 09:54 AM
Flyboy-F33
Scooby Regular

Come on...somebody must have some thoughts on this? Am I set to 'ignore'?
Old 01 October 2002, 10:01 AM
Jaay
Scooby Regular

Depends, if you are on the Motorway quite often then dont bother its not practical. If not then buy one as they are blistering quick when moved through the gears. Also you could change the box if you get sick of it. Just some thoughts
Old 01 October 2002, 10:29 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Type RA's dont come with ABS and in some cases some of the creature comforts your use to (and the short ratio box limits your top end speed).
Yes these cars are quick but it has a mechanical diff too which will complicate things a little and unless your a very good driver then its something that you dont really want to play with on an open road.
Just my thoughts but speak to some of the Type RA owners and you will usually find that this isnt their first scoob (or high performance turbo'd car).

Tony
Old 01 October 2002, 11:01 AM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Go with the standard WRX, learn how to handle one. If you get bored with it later you've got the option of going for the RA.
Old 01 October 2002, 11:30 AM
dosenöffner
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

My first Scoob was an RA which was well modded. My second was an STi. Now looking for an RA. Used it for work on the motorways. A little thirsty. Just like never leaving 4th in a standard WRX. But I could live with that becasue the reward was in the non motorway driving.

Never rated ABS, air conditiong and electric windows anyway.
Old 01 October 2002, 12:01 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

flyboy,

when i was looking at WRX a few years back I drove an RA and I just thought the gearing was too short for everyday use. I ended up with an STI which IMHO was much better plus I like my creature comforts I think the popularity of the RA is reflected in it's
price....they always seem to go cheap to me.

Gary
Old 01 October 2002, 12:07 PM
Gavin G
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

My mate has a MY96 WRX STi Type RA, unmodded apart from HKS panel filter. Comapred to my MY98 UK Turbo, (Magnex BB, centre, DP and K&N Filter) the acceleration in the RA is awesome

He has just put on a set of 18" gold OZ Prodrive wheels and new Pirelli P-Zero's and still gets wheelspin in the wet in 3rd!!

Only downsides are no ABS, electric windows, C/locking etc. although it does have A/C and the Variable Diff control. The ride is also very hard, especially on Irish roads.

He tested a few other STi's (non RA) and reckons the RA is by far the best Scoob

Gavin
Old 01 October 2002, 12:12 PM
Flyboy-F33
Scooby Regular

Great stuff...keep em coming
Old 01 October 2002, 01:46 PM
pban
Scooby Regular

I'm currently seeking a STI 2 or 3 RA, last night I drove a STI 1 RA and the performance is awesome. Previous to this I had a linked STI V which was very quick too, but didn't feel as quick as this RA. Saying that I have been driving a Forester Turbo for the last 6 weeks so maybe my interpretation of speed has changed. Still I'm definitely going for the STI RA when I find one to buy.

Paul
Old 01 October 2002, 02:12 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
there are lots of diferent spec RA's, so you cant give a specific answer.

My own is an STi5 TypeRA V-Ltd. This has the RA 1st-4th but the STi 5th, so it gives very quick acceleration to 115MPH in 4th, then reverts to normal 170MPH top end STi 5th.

To be honest, it's doing my head in so i am looking at changing 5th for the normal 155MPH top end, as most of my driving is non motorway and the ratio jump is just too big to make the car nice to drive cross country, i find i am always stuck between holding the revs in 4th or bogging down in 5th. It ruins the feel on track for me too.

If i were doing a lot of motorway driving then i would keep it as is, but i dont, so out comes the long 5th.

Anyone want an STi5 22MPH/1000rpm 5th ratio set? got an RA 19MPH/1000rpm 5th set knocking about?

Mine has the full electric pack and SWRT seats, stunning piece of kit to drive.
Old 01 October 2002, 03:11 PM
Flyboy-F33
Scooby Regular

Been quoted 759.00 by LV which are one of the few companies that will touch an import. The car is a MY96, not sure what version that makes it. leccy windows but no a/c (my other main concern)
otherwise its in very good condition. I wonder how easily they sell bearing in mind that the market is a little slow right now?