Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People taking piccies of my car then driving off?

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2002, 11:56 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Has anyone had this?

My scoob is parked at the front of the car park today with a 3ft wall in front of it, then pavement, then main road. Some young looking oik pulled up in a van and walked into our car park and started taking pictures of her. One of the secretaries noticed this and went out to confront him. When she asked him what he was doing, he said 'I'm alright', nothing more, just that. She then said no he isn't as he is on private property and photographing somebody else's car. He said nothing so she came in and got me. By the time that I got to the front, he was hooning it off.
Young, blond with a baseball cap. Strange thing as well is that there is another Scoob here at the office that is parked directly across from me and he paid no attention to that one......

What do you think about this sort of thing then?

Cheers,

Nick.
Old 25 September 2002, 11:59 AM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Red face

Don't want to worry you, but the phrase "stolen to order" springs to mind !
Old 25 September 2002, 12:00 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Angry

Doh, my thoughts exactly[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 25 September 2002, 12:00 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Careful, could be photographing it so see if its acceptable on a 'steal to order' basis. I'd park it near CCTV, security guys, where it can be seen, etc for the next few months to be on the safe side. Hate to sound all doom and gloom but you've got to look at the worst case scenerio
Old 25 September 2002, 12:01 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Don't want to worry you, but the phrase "stolen to order" springs to mind!
Errmmm,exactly what I was thinkin!!!!! Did she/you get the reg number of the van?

Nick
Old 25 September 2002, 12:02 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

buy a copy of Autotrader and see if it's advertised in there!
Old 25 September 2002, 12:04 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Didn't think at the time, was too busy shouting...

Due to the angle and bushes either side, I wouldn't have gotten much at all of the number plate tho

Cheers,

Nick
Old 25 September 2002, 12:14 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Doesn't sound like someone who just wanted a photo of an impreza (unless you have some wild exotic rare body kit).

I'd be inclined to got nuts on car security for a while... steering locks/handbrake/stick locks. I'd also try and arrange to park your motor in clear view of reception (or concerned secretary) for a while. Just let them know that you have *NOT* arranged for someone else to pick your car up/take it in for a service etc.

marty.
Old 25 September 2002, 12:25 PM
RichardPON
Scooby Regular

Or when you park your car, whip your coil off, and keep it with ya.

That would worry me a bit mate...... like it's been said, go mental on security.
Old 25 September 2002, 12:35 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
pay that secretary in kind to keep a vigil
Old 25 September 2002, 12:39 PM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

Have a look out when your going to get in the car, hopefully there not stupid enough to come back and try having the keys of you.
Old 25 September 2002, 12:44 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Go to your local dog pound, buy the most vicious dog they have, then "kennel" it in your car for the next few months.
Oh yes--- let it out to have a cr*p every now and then, or you won't be able to give the car away, let alone have it nicked.
:
Seriously, if that were my car, I'd be worried. I'd be seriously thinking of keeping the coil in my pocket whenever it was parked, no matter where it was parked, or who it was being used by.
Best of luck, m8.
Alcazar
Old 25 September 2002, 12:59 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Funnily enough, I have a 10-odd stone Rottie, but he does smell a bit

Cheers,

Nick
Old 25 September 2002, 01:01 PM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

You could always inform the police. Might as well as the worst they can do is take no notice. On the other hand, they may take the view that they dont want a high perfomance car being stolen and then used for either joyriding or some other criminal activity and may have a panda car swing by every now and then.

You could even leave a note on the dashboard advising that you are on to them, the police are informed and the car is being monitored.

However, I am sure everyone is aware of the potential risk of theft involved with owning such a car. There is only so much you can do. You should try not to get paranoid and let this spoil the enjoyment of ownership - easier said than done I know.

I hope it turns out to be an isolated incident for you. Best of luck.

Steve
Old 25 September 2002, 01:11 PM
Scalidge
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Footlong

Totally sympathise with your problem m8. Some good points raised by the forum.

All i can say is do what you can and DONT tell anyone, even in this forum. You never know whos watching.

Old 25 September 2002, 01:13 PM
peccy
Scooby Regular

maybe he just wanted a piccy of nice motor? if ive got my digi camera on me and i see a nice car i sometimes stop and snap it?
Old 25 September 2002, 01:17 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Get the police to use it as bait. Tell them you will help to make their car crime conviction statistics look good if they will allow you and a friend five minutes alone in the questioning room with the *******...

Don't get mad - get even.
Old 25 September 2002, 01:27 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

No, it was some guy that plans a ''my car is the best'' thread assault on Scoobynet.

The photo is just to prove that he has aa car.......
Old 25 September 2002, 01:32 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Peccy could be right but I'd still take sensible precautions. Tracker (and stickers to say it has a tracker) is bound to be a good idea. Would take a real fool to nick a car that the police can track and follow.
Old 25 September 2002, 01:33 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Tracker is in there, but I don't advertise the fact.
Old 25 September 2002, 01:42 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Must admit that i've stopped to get a shot of a nice car before but if someone came out and asked me what i was doing (ie. the secretary), I'd have at least explained that it was a nice car that caught my attention and that i just wanted a quick photo. If she was still concerned i'd have shown her some ID along with passing on my compliments to the cars owner.

I think in this case it must be said that the "photographer" was acting in a manner that would undoubtedly raise suspicion.

marty.

[Edited by marty_t3 - 9/25/2002 1:43:39 PM]
Old 25 September 2002, 01:48 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Buy a bikelock chain (the ones with the fabric around the chain links) then park near a lampost/armco/another car in on the game and chain one of your wheel spokes to it.
Either that or get a D-lock. Has your seat got harness holes? Of so then get your seat as far forward as possible and d-lock it to the stearing wheel.
Best of all Get a snap off boss. Would you try to nick a car with no steering wheel? Looks triple bossak on your desk as well.
astraboy.
Old 25 September 2002, 02:03 PM
323GTR
Scooby Regular

There ar a growing number of thefts nowadays where the to55ers jump you, get the keys and take the car - I know as it happened to me earlier this year. Nothing except a Tracker or Carjack system is any good in these circumstances. If you have one, advertise it, it will hopefully put them off.

Is your car left parked outside anywhere other than work, like at home, at the girlfriends etc? If it is, and you hear your alarm going off, don't go outside to have a look (like I did). Watch the car, and see what happens. In my case, I believe I was followed back to my girlfriends place, she lived in a flat at the time. My alarm went off a couple of times (which it never did before) and when I went out to have a look, the sh*ts jumped me from behind with a cosh. I later found out that one of the neighbours had seen someone running up, bouncing on the bonnet to set the alarm off, then legging it.

IMO, be careful for the next while. A couple of tracker stickers in the windows may save you a load of hassle in the long run.
Old 25 September 2002, 02:09 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Not sure about taking the coil off. If you come back to the car and they are waiting around then you are leaving yourself even more open to attack whilst messing aroung under the bonnet.
Old 25 September 2002, 02:12 PM
bendillon
Scooby Regular

scarey thought, ive got a police batton extends, goes everwere, if the alarm goes of i go out with that,or mve to the US and you can blow his head off!!
Old 25 September 2002, 02:27 PM
scooby_jim
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Have a Tracker fitted to my Scoob, so I contacted Tracker to ask for some stickers but they wouldn't give me them.. Makes sense if you think about it. There are only so many places you can put the antenna, any professional car theif will search the car to remove the antenna, as soon as they nick it, to take the tracker out, if they know it is there. If you don't advertise they are unlikely to look for it, then the cops turn up and nab em .

Just my two pennies but I think it makes sense...

[Edited by scooby_jim - 9/25/2002 2:28:45 PM]
Old 25 September 2002, 03:32 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

As a public service, I'll swap cars with you for a while if you want

Who's gonna nick a 1.4 ( ) Skoda? Just as long as you don't mind a few miles put on yours that is

Seems a bit dodgy all the same, why leg it if it was perfectly innocent? I'd just be careful I think, possibly move the car somewhere else for a while and use an alternative means of transport.
Old 25 September 2002, 03:51 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

astraboy, quote:
Looks triple bossak
LOL

Footlong - atraboys advice is well kickin' and top bossak . Discklock, D-Lock, etc, etc...and keep your fingers crossed.

It's worth notifying the police and giving a description of the individual, he may be well known as a local car-stealing-scum-sucking-******.

Squizz.
(Large-up bossak geeza! )
Old 25 September 2002, 04:58 PM
Doc@IlsonIlson
Scooby Regular

Peccy could be right but I'd still take sensible precautions. Tracker (and stickers to say it has a tracker) is bound to be a good idea. Would take a real fool to nick a car that the police can track and follow.
If its stolen to order then it will be a pro team who are doing it, the Tracker would last five minutes, dont let it lull you into a false sense of security.
If they really want it they will have it.