ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't Get Ripped Off

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2002, 03:58 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I recently got in touch with a so called reputable company to get a tracker fitted to my pride and joy (no theft cover on insurance otherwise!!). They sold me a 24 hour protector. I was really pleased with the price. Paperwork came through, 24 hour protector ticked on order form. Fitted the thing within 2 days, so far excellent service. Very happy! THEN get a phone call off my other half saying that they had fitted the wrong one and now it couldn't be activated. I called the office to find out what had gone wrong. They told me that I had bought and ordered the basic model in the first place and that's what I had got. After giving me a load of verbal, the sales bloke went on to say that it was basically tough s*it and I must have got confused by his sales patter!!

RACTrackstar can't activate the system cause they have the wrong kind of authorisation and it would keep telling them that the car is being nicked.

They (The security company not RAC Trackstar....... Before I get done for slander!!) won't take the tracker it off the car and give me a refund, won't give a free upgrade and are being obstructive about even activating the bloody thing.

I am well p*ssed off.

PLEASE TAKE NOTE!!!! Use caution when dealing with these security comapnies that advertise in Japanese Performance, Max Power etc......... Shop around, go local, whatever, just don't be ripped off like I was!!

Old 23 September 2002, 04:33 PM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

Name them.
Old 23 September 2002, 04:39 PM
Luke
BANNED

What proof do you have that you are correct??
Old 23 September 2002, 04:42 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs down

You have statutory rights . . . .
Old 23 September 2002, 04:54 PM
TolTec
Scooby Regular

If you paid with a credit card you might get some help from the card company.
Old 23 September 2002, 05:10 PM
black knight
Scooby Regular

surely in any contract u have a right to cancel within a specified time frame (assuming there is for the tracker services) and the same applies to returns/exchanging policy.

In this case, u have stat rights to either return the item or pay for an upgrade.

suggestion: trading standards? with unscrupulous traders, its' worth to be persistent.
Old 23 September 2002, 05:52 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

If your paperwork says its the top of the range (24hr guardian) then that is what should be fitted (and if you paid the price specified too).
I think that the "cr@p security" place (i take it this is pretty close to the name?) can be done for fraud as they have not sold you the correct item and charged you for a higher priced model.
Go to CAB or Trading standards and get advice, you have the paperwork and therefore the evidence (and then see about them getting struck off the trackstar list of approved dealers).

Tony
Old 24 September 2002, 11:03 AM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
I've stupidly buckled and just accepted what they gave me (bargain price apparently for RAC standard tracker - ahem!)I live in an area where theft of a car is very high risk and I just didn't have the time to fight it. It's been 3 weeks already and I just couldn't run the risk of not having theft cover anymore, especially with the interest it's attracting form the local scum bags! I am going to get in touch with trading standards though. I won't name the company cause I could be done for slander!! Just a cautionary tale I thought I would tell!!! (I have calmed down since I wrote that last rambling message!!)
Old 24 September 2002, 12:37 PM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

Don't be so sure there aren't any muppets actually at RAC Trackstar either! - I had them do my Tracker, they installed it fully, put the car back together (quite a traumatic experience watching them totally rip my car to bits in the first place I can tell you), and only THEN tested the unit which turned out to be faulty - they had to rip it all out and start again!!!!!

Now I have loads of rattles around the place which I am sure is due to the shoddy way in which various panels were replaced.

DaveR
Old 24 September 2002, 01:12 PM
pele
Scooby Regular

Cool

When I had my tracker fitted, I had trouble getting it activated, because it was registered as being fitted on another car! It was sorted out within the hour though, and I have rung them a few times to test if it's working, (parking the car in different places first!) and it seems to be working.
Old 24 September 2002, 01:50 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

You can only be done for slander if what you say is untrue. Slander is for verbal untruths, libel for written untruths. As it's a civil matter, it's up to the plaintiff (the tracker supplier) to prove that what you've said is untrue.
Old 24 September 2002, 01:57 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Bee in my bonnet time AGAIN!!! I got a card in the post this morning saying that there was a letter at the main post office which needed 99p paying on it. Thought it was important. Went out of my way in my lunch break to pay the dosh over and collect the letter. Had no stamp on it hence me having to pay. Guess who had sent it......... THAT BLOODY SECURITY COMPANY. I am not a happy bunny yet again!! B*s*ards!!

On a plus point, I now have a tracker that works!! I'm pleased to say that I was at work when they tore my car apart to fit it!! I would have been majorly traumatised otherwise!!

My fella threatened the engineer that if he damaged any part of the car, i'd track him down and do him serious damage. LOL. I don't look much but i'm vicious when someone upsets me!!

Just happy that my car is insured for theft. Feel alot better about leaving it parked up now.