MY'01-Back box-Prodrive or S/S?

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2001, 11:01 AM
Gareth Williams
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hi All,

Apologies if this subject has been done to death recently but need some (objective!) views.
How does the Prodrive back box at £350 compare to the Scoobysport box at around £300?. The main areas I'd like to hear about are;
1. Performance improvement to a standard MY'01.
2. Noise comparisons, good and bad.
3. Appearance/aesthetics.
4. Warranty-Prodrive obviously not an issue but with the S/S is it down to the individual dealer and their attitude?
5. Insurance implication, if any.
6. Any other thoughts?.

Look forward to hearing your views!.
Gareth.
Old 03 August 2001, 11:33 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

1 - Your best bet, if not looking at PPP is to go for the S/S backbox and centre section, will increase mid range.

2 - Prodrive WR bb is not much louder than the standard BB, the scoobysport is loud, but not too intrusive

3 - the Prodrive box is a marginally better build quality, and slightly oval.. the S/S is a circular tailpipe.

4 - Warranty, speak to your dealer..

5 - Insurance, expect to pay a little more.

6 - Wait and see what other developments occur over the next few months, over vendor system etc.. you might find one that fits your requirements more, ie. quieter/louder etc...
Old 03 August 2001, 01:55 PM
Gareth Williams
Scooby Regular

Cool

Dr Evil-Thanks for your comments. Thanks to mini me as well...!

Anyone else got any views/experience of the two systems?.

Gareth.
Old 03 August 2001, 11:04 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

Gareth

I was going to put on SS rear and mid, but managed to pick up Prodrive rear secondhand Just got my SS mid today which will be fitted on Wed @ service. I am hoping for a nice balance. Prodrive rear sounds much better than OEM. With the OEM rear it did not even sound like a Scoob.

TONY
Old 04 August 2001, 12:52 AM
Scoobyebye
Scooby Regular

test

Sorry been having problems so tested before typing for hours.

I agree with views on SS system. Sound is NOT OTT. Even passes the 32 year old wife test

Still has lag but pulls from lower down and will run freely right up to the fun cutting device. Can't back the claims about better economy and at the end of the day who gives a $£XX* if it is 19 or 20 mpg ?

Has anyone with SS full decat system and IPG filter on an MY01 had it on a rolling road - if so what does it kick out ?

I hear there are limits on what you can safely tune them to - how high ? and how much ?

Does the Prodrive system make the cat sensor light come on ?

My MY01 clunks into fifth now and again - is this normal or is this a sync problem ?

Scoobyebye

[This message has been edited by Scoobyebye (edited 04 August 2001).]
Old 04 August 2001, 08:04 AM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Wink

When i bought my car i had the Prodrive BB fitted, this gave a sound much more as you would expect from a Subaru, but not too loud, during the long wait for PPP i have bought a full ScoobySport system (Down-pipe,2 piece centre and Back Box) this is louder than the Prodrive BB but sounds good and you can also hear a lot more turbo whistle.
The extra performance this system provides is very impressive, as stated on the ScoobySport website, pull is much stronger from lower rpm and keeps going till about 6500 rpm. If your not going for PPP this makes a excellent alternative.
If anyone is interested, when my PPP is fitted i will be selling the ScoobySport system, should be end of August.

simon.
Old 04 August 2001, 12:36 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Hi gareth, im in similar pred. i havent heard a s/s box and would crap myself if i bought one and it sounded like a group A rally car, suppose its fine line between sounding cool and bloody outrageous, heard a magnex full system, sounded good, how does the s/s compare? the prodrive is meatier but you aint gonna scare any old dears as you go by. cheers bud Lee
Old 04 August 2001, 04:42 PM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Wink

Scoobyebye,
Look at dyno.scoobynet.co.uk and you will find Pete Croneys dyno figures for his MY01,
I don't think the 'Check Engine' light will come on, on a PPP'd car because it is Subaru's own mod., mine hasn't come on yet with full ScoobySport system and i know scoobysport will soon be sending out a 'plug-in' for the ECU to overcome this potential problem.
I have not experienced any problems as you describe with 5th gear sounds like you may have a problem.

simon.
Old 04 August 2001, 04:45 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

Whilst I agree the Prodrive b/b gives a more Subaru noise, mine is for sale if anyone wants it. As I have a SS d/p and centre, it seems rude not to complete the set!

If you want it, make me an offer.

Ta