Yesterday was a sad day......

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2001, 12:19 AM
SPJ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
StevieB,

I know exactly how you feel!

I changed from a Sport to a Turbo in March, and savoured my last jouney to the dealers to do the swap, even though I knew I was going on to better things.

There is obviously a big difference between the two but the Sport is a cracking car in it's own right, and I thoroughly enjoyed owning it.

I must admit now though, that the grin factor has got much bigger after getting the Turbo .Are you getting an MY01 in it's place?

The wait will seem like forever being Scoobyless, but it will be well worth it, I'm sure

Enjoy

Steve
Old 31 July 2001, 10:08 AM
StevieB
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Well, she may have only been a ‘Sport’ but I enjoyed every minute I drove her. Yesterday was the day though that she was sold, and what was really sh*te was her final journey was a four mile traffic jam. Not really the last trip I was wanting.

Now got a two week wait before I get my first turbo. I think that Impreza smile is going to get a whole lot bigger !!!

Old 31 July 2001, 01:21 PM
StevieB
Scooby Regular

Steve

I agree, the Sport is still a very capable car. I’m fortunate to have half my round trip to Work out through the New Forest to really enjoy it too.

Sticking with the old shape for the time being - MY98 which was a family members car who is trading up to a PPP UK300.

I think that wait is going to be long, but as you say... well worth it !!

Cheers

Steve

Old 31 July 2001, 01:36 PM
SPJ
Scooby Regular

Steve,

Funnily enough, mines an MY98 (actually registered 3 days after the Sport which I bought new in 98)

I've gone for the 5 door this time, which I have to say was a good choice.
The ability to get a reasonable amount of stuff in the saloon was a bit limited.It was made worse when my son was born, and having to trundle prams /changing bags, etc everywhere you go!

The 5 door is much more practical for me , it still goes like stink and looks the part.

Hope you're happy with yours, whichever version it is.
I guess it's handy knowing the cars history as it's been in the family.Any warranty claims on it yet?

I've had a couple on mine, already.Sorted without problem with the supplying dealer.I'm now about to confirm the extended warranty as it's due to run out on Friday.

Steve
Old 31 July 2001, 02:57 PM
StevieB
Scooby Regular

Steve,

Freaky stuff !!!!

My Sport was a 98, bought new as well (August 1st), red 4dr. Nearly had her 3 years by one day. should have tried to keep her until today really.

The time was right though to move on. The car was due MOT / tax and the 45,000 cam belt service / body service 2. Would have cost best part of £700 as an new tyre would have been needed for the MOT.

Actually, how was tyre wear on yours. I was amazed at the life of them. 42,000 miles on and still had the original rears (4mm remaining) and only recently changed the first front.

4dr turbo for me, and is around four months older than the sport. Knowing the history is the reason for waiting for this particular car, as it only has 9,000 on the clock. No warrenty claims at all..... actually I think a new battery. The only concern is as the car is out of warrenty now, I hope the 98 piston slap problem doesn’t rear it’s ugly head.

Had very few probs with the Sport only had to have the wheel arches re-under sealed twice and the clutch return spring came loose.

Steve
Old 31 July 2001, 03:58 PM
SPJ
Scooby Regular

Steve,

I too was amazed at the tyre wear (or lack of) on the Sport.Mine had 35K on the clock when I changed, and although the fronts were showing signs of wear, they were still well legal.The rears looked like new.

After 7K miles in the new car, and new tyres when I bought it, they are certainly not going to last anywhere near those on the Sport.But I wouldn't have expected them to.

I had the Piston Slap problem on the Sport, and clutch/gearbox problems on the Turbo, so far.

I would guess that if you experienced Piston Slap on your new one, that IM would honour the warranty as I understand it is a recognised problem, and especially as it has ultra low miles for the year.(May well be wrong though, before I get flamed!)

What area are you in, by the way?.It doesn't show on your profile.

Steve
Old 31 July 2001, 05:19 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Wink

Are all Sport owners called Steve!?
Old 31 July 2001, 05:29 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

Matt,

I am called Steve bot have a MY01 as you know.

I can swap for a Sport if this makes it easier for you.

Cheers mate.

Stevie
Old 31 July 2001, 05:34 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Stand by for a reality check lads, 35k on tyres.
With a turbo you'll be into your third set by then.

B
Old 31 July 2001, 05:56 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

Banshi,

Unless they buy a MY01 in which case they will be half way through the fourth set!

Only just got 10000 out of my first set. Ooohh!

Old 01 August 2001, 03:21 PM
StevieB
Scooby Regular

Wink

Steve,

That is worth considering, if the piston slap does appear. As you say, it’s a known problem so it would be worth pushing IM to sort it due to the milage (and push I’m sure it would be!!).... I hope I don’t need to find out!

Cheers
Steve (Hampshire)
Old 01 August 2001, 05:51 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

The original SteveB now drives a P1.