Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't you just love the quality of the paint job on the P1

Search this Thread

Old 31 July 2001, 12:12 AM
robin lowry
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christ, I've just had a look at your pics, I can't believe the amount of chips. What I don't understand though is the front bumper is a normal item ie: not touched or painted by Prodrive, and it still looks bad. I hope Subaru UK are being extremely nice to you.

Robin
Old 31 July 2001, 12:23 AM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by robin lowry:
<B>Christ, I've just had a look at your pics, I can't believe the amount of chips. What I don't understand though is the front bumper is a normal item ie: not touched or painted by Prodrive, and it still looks bad. I hope Subaru UK are being extremely nice to you.

Robin[/quote]

I wouldn't go as far as saying nice. They originally only offered to replace the front spoiler as this was a part provided by Prodrive, however after speaking to John Sherwood (customer services manager at IM, decent bloke) and stating that a number of other people have had the bumper replaced as well, is seems I may get the same.

Unfortunately the replacement spoiler and bumper are delivered to the dealer unpainted. The dealer then has to paint the parts themselves and in doing this the responsibility for a future grievances are then placed on the dealer in question. When I asked my dealer if he would be prepared to replace the parts again when they get covered in stone chips again, their response was a definite NO.

The outcome of this is that I only plan to have the spoiler/bumper replaced just before Christmas when the car is sold.

Regards
Paul

Old 31 July 2001, 12:26 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

If the paint does crack etc again, is it not as a result of the paint not sticking to the plastic?
If this is the case how can they refuse?

This issue is getting more disturbing!

Is it just the plastic bits?
Old 31 July 2001, 12:34 AM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Medders,

While it pains me to say it, the paint work on the P1 is a serious ***** in it's armour.

I love everything else about the car. I can even put up with not being able to put things like pens and CD cases in the glove box/door pockets, due to the rattling.

I have got used to taking my keys to bed with me at night.

I can just about cope with the fuel consumption.

I dont mind that the Subaru dealer network(customer service) is not geared up to sell £30K cars.

What I cannot cope with is thinking how the car is going to look in 12-18 months time when I have put another 25000 miles on the clock. It is this reason and this reason alone why I have chosen to cut my losses an get rid of the car while it still looks half decent.

Paul

[This message has been edited by paulmon (edited 31 July 2001).]
Old 31 July 2001, 10:31 AM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Wink

Not...

[This message has been edited by paulmon (edited 31 July 2001).]
Old 31 July 2001, 10:35 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Old 31 July 2001, 10:55 AM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Old 31 July 2001, 11:03 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Red face

Dr Evil, what on earth did that ?????
I know people have commented in the past re this, but i didn't know they were that bad! Does everyone have the problem?

Worried now.
Old 31 July 2001, 11:08 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

medders - that was Paulmon's pic, I just corrected the ubb code.

Anyway, I'd heard rumours of the earlier spoilers suffering. Mine was fine for 6 months (then i sold the car). Note though, i got through 3 spoilers in 2 weeks due to poor build quality initially.

Rgds, Alex
Old 31 July 2001, 11:10 AM
robin lowry
Scooby Regular

Yep, had a similar problem, but mine was on the end bits. My dealer had a brand new one from Prodrive delivered and fitted.
My advice is to get a new one and not have yours repaired, as I think Prodrive now paint these properly.

Good luck
Robin
Old 31 July 2001, 11:13 AM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Angry

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by medders:
<B>Dr Evil, what on earth did that ?????
I know people have commented in the past re this, but i didn't know they were that bad! Does everyone have the problem?

Worried now.[/quote]

Dr Evil, kindly posted the image on my behalf because I am a num nuts. As to the cause, it was done last night while cleaning the car with a karcher washer. The nozzle of the washer was at least 3 feet away from the car, the same as I have done since March.

On closer inspection there appears to be a hairline crack where the carbon fibre jobby ends.

Another warranty claim to go alongside a new front bumper and new spoiler.

Stroll on December when I return to BMW fold.
Old 31 July 2001, 11:19 AM
medders
Scooby Regular

Oh dear.
My car is a later model I think as it's armourfended (which has some nice little marks in it)
One chip on the bonnet.

It would appear that the armourfend on the lip will take a hammering. Can you replace this and does it totally protect the paint underneath?

Medders
Old 31 July 2001, 11:27 AM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by medders:
<B>Oh dear.
My car is a later model I think as it's armourfended (which has some nice little marks in it)
One chip on the bonnet.

It would appear that the armourfend on the lip will take a hammering. Can you replace this and does it totally protect the paint underneath?

Medders[/quote]

Mine has the amourfend on the lip spoiler. Unfortunately it doesn't help matters. My car looks like its covered in flies even after it has been cleaned.

All the photos can be view here (hopefully)

Old 31 July 2001, 11:45 AM
jjk
Scooby Regular

Red face

I would love a P1 but cant believe that the finish is so poor for a £31 grand car.
No wonder there is still a brand new one in the showroom near me.

Still - bet it drives great

Jas
Old 31 July 2001, 04:20 PM
Iain P
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

same old story.......small company dabbling in 'mass' production - not a clue about customer useage, environmental conditions and high mileage/durability testing.............
Old 31 July 2001, 06:10 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Paul
May I suggest you speak to Mellow Y and then have a polite word with the service manager at our local dealership (Robinsons).

As they say you may learn something to your advantage

The spoiler is certainly a serious fault, the problems with the spoiler were well documented before you got the car. But IMO if anyone expects to cover the ground at 130+ and not get chipped paintwork they are likely to be dissapointed.

I've not only chips but dents, I believe its something to to with projectiles and velocity.

B
Old 31 July 2001, 06:11 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Double post!

[This message has been edited by banshi (edited 01 August 2001).]
Old 31 July 2001, 09:24 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Mines armourfended all over the front end after getting I.M to agree to having it re-painted at a garage of MY choice