Sponsored by:

Bike carrier thingy..

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2001, 04:58 PM
JasonHook
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi
I've got a 99 Turbo saloon and I want to be able to transport my bicycles around. Do I need to have a roof rack or can I use on the types that go on the boot or use the fiesta?

Obviously I'm worried about the high level spoiler getting in the way...

Thanks
Jason
Old 26 July 2001, 05:31 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

The high level spoiler does get in the way of some, but not all boot mounted racks. You also have to worry about lights and reg. plate visibility - you should really have a trailer board which requires cabling etc.

OK with a UK car as you have a steel boot - STi's are aluminium and should not have bikes hanging from them.......

Thule (and probably others) do excellent roof mounted kits. I've got the Thule system and I rate it way better than boot racks I've ever used.

Higher initial cost, but much more stable and easier to use - it just feels better having a load on the roof compared to a couple of bikes swinging off the back of your boot. It's also much quicker to load / unload bikes from the roof and you can get into the boot with the bikes loaded - it's amazing how the thing you need is always in the boot once you've loaded your bikes !
Old 26 July 2001, 06:05 PM
Luke
BANNED

As Alistair mentions THULE are the ones to buy. I carry about £5000 worth of bikes on mine and feel happy with it. Also It helps from a security point to have them on the top.
Old 26 July 2001, 06:10 PM
Luke
BANNED

As Alistair mentions THULE are the ones to buy. I carry about £5000 worth of bikes on mine and feel happy with it. Also It helps from a security point to have them on the top.