PRESS RELEASE - POLICE OFFICER WITH VISION LEADS THE WAY

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2001, 05:34 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Press release from the ABD

POLICE OFFICER WITH VISION LEADS THE WAY

First Cracks Appear in Police Speed Camera Policy.

In the light of the recent announcement by Scotland Yard's Assistant Commissioner Michael Todd that the expansion of speed cameras in London will be frozen, the ABD would like to be the first to congratulate him on his decision.

Assistant Commissioner Todd has quite rightly identified one of the most serious issues relating to the over-zealous application of speed camera technology in the United Kingdom. Since misguided chief police officers and local authorities declared war on predominantly law abiding, upright, tax-paying citizens and adopted the indiscriminate speed camera as their main weapon of mass prosecution, they have alienated hundreds of thousands of people who would normally be their staunchest supporters. Michael Todd has acknowledged the degree of resentment that this kind of aggressive and predatory law enforcement can engender and the subsequent withdrawal of public co-operation that can result.

Other police authorities would do well to take note before they proceed with their proposed doubling of the number of speed cameras on British roads and trebling of the number of tickets issued to ten million a year. In the past the police have always been able to rely on a largely helpful population that saw them as their protectors. If they continue with their obsessive crusade against the safest drivers in Europe, they will soon cease to be seen as protectors and simply become an oppressive enemy in the eyes of many of their former supporters.

The ABD contends that the British people deserve laws that are applied and policed by trained officers able to use judgement and discretion at all times and calls for a moratorium on speed camera expansion followed by a public debate on the use of automated law enforcement in general.

ABD Chairman Brian Gregory commented: "Although speed cameras can perform a useful role when used appropriately to reduce speeds at accident blackspots, the wholesale corruption of the concept from road safety to revenue generation makes it essential that we rethink the entire speed camera strategy."
Old 12 July 2001, 05:38 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

WELL SAID!
Old 12 July 2001, 05:41 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Smile

ABD Fight the good fight

Keep it up.

Ian
Old 12 July 2001, 06:58 PM
nevr
Scooby Regular

why has it taken them so long to come realise the damge these cameras have done. It was policing on the cheap, more cameras and less traffic officers, always was a revenue gathering excercise, no evidence to suggest that it has helped reduce accidents.
Old 12 July 2001, 07:20 PM
Taff
Scooby Regular

Wink

I wonder if he drives a scoobie?

What a guy!
Old 12 July 2001, 07:28 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Top Bloke !!

DJ
Old 12 July 2001, 09:00 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Angry

....about damn time .....

I'm sick of being rammed over a barrel with my trousers round my ankles by these b******* ....one day they'll realise that Joe Public is not a criminal and to get those who are...
Old 12 July 2001, 10:33 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Well at least someone is thinking logically. We need more of these people in the correct positions worldwide. These proper thinking people or rather competent people usually don't last long though. The baddies usually go after them and the law we disagree with always becomes law. I hope the good law becomes and stays that way.

WREXY.
Old 13 July 2001, 12:29 AM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Too late i'm afraid. My sympathy for the police and any assistance i could ever give them got withdrawn the moment i was awarded 3 points for 38mph in a 30 limit on a nice clear day on an empty wide road Most of the ten year olds wielding radar guns down here love the power trip it gives them. Thats the only reason they DON'T want speed camers.

Because it takes away the chance to enter their smug patronising mode when they dish the tickets out.

Rant Over.

Rus

Rus
Old 13 July 2001, 12:34 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hooray!

Let's hope that he's powerful enough to influence all of the other prats who think otherwise.

<I>Matt Oz. Please phone me, I want to talk about motorbikes with you. (0115 913 3199).</I>

Mike.
Old 13 July 2001, 12:42 AM
CraigD
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

RussP
Not much sympathy for you speeding in a 30 limit!
Old 13 July 2001, 07:35 AM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

thankfully he isn't the first person to say this ... these thoughts have been expressed before ... and if they continue to be said often enough ... with a bit of luck ... they might actually get heard and acted upon.
Old 13 July 2001, 09:38 AM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Rich,

To quote Mr.Askew..."I'm sick of being rammed over a barrel with my trousers round my ankles by these b*******"

Sounds like a normal night out in Worcester for you mate! LOL

Matt
Old 13 July 2001, 11:33 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

at last,a copper who doesnt want a carreer and speaky the truthy.
Old 13 July 2001, 01:04 PM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

&gt;&gt;Not much sympathy for you speeding in a 30 limit!&lt;&lt;

Graig, i don't know where you live but overhere we've got some 30mph roads you could land a Boeing 747 on, blindfolded. So why is 30 max? Well, uh, nobody knows, really. Is doing 38 a crime on these roads? Like walking on the grass it is...
Old 13 July 2001, 01:15 PM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

Someone who talks sense at last, lets hope the rest of the senior Police officers and local authorities listen for a change.

Darren.
Old 13 July 2001, 06:44 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

38 in a 30 limit? On a clear Sunday, wide verges, no traffic, no pedestrians (except one ******** copper hidden in a bus shelter), car in good order with tread on the tyres?

Your right, i should have my ***** removed in order to stop this type of vicious crime occuring again

Hadn't realised what a low life i am.
Old 14 July 2001, 07:42 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

There is still hope...

Well said ABD.

Chris
Old 14 July 2001, 08:56 AM
dba
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by CraigD:
<B>RussP
Not much sympathy for you speeding in a 30 limit![/quote]

sorry Chris but can u read the ABD site,your arguement is fundamental to why they exist.
Beleive me,there is more to road safety than "31mph" you are stupid and "29mph" you are law abiding citizen.
Have a read,you may even join!!
Old 14 July 2001, 03:44 PM
scoobydoodette
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs down

Essex Police have obviously got time to waste as the other day they had set up a mobile speed camera (ie hiding behind a van parked on verge) 100 yds before a fixed camera. Presumably to catch the people who slow down just before. Then for good Measure they were on the other side of the road a few days later! I never speed in residential areas, but this paticular road is hardly an accident black spot.
Old 14 July 2001, 05:47 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

Good on that Mr. Todd, deploy speed cameras in accident black spots. Paint them dayglow, fluorescent with pink spots so you can't miss them, and hopefully reduce the number of accidents at that point as a result As for revenue earners, they deserve to be cremated....

With regard to 38 in a 30, well, it all depends on the conditions. How about a dual carriageway at 4am with NO traffic and NO pedestrians about? Is that dangerous? I think not.... but at 8:50 am outside a primary school, you deserve to lose your license. Shame that a lot of officers don't use discretion in a sensible way (perhaps they have to meet a quota? let's not forget that there ARE quite a few "good uns" out there that are just as p155ed off about giving you a ticket as you are at getting one).

As for alienation, how's this? 3 points and 75 quid fine for parking next to (quite a distance actually) a zebra crossing at 4am with no pedestrians and no traffic about? D'oh! Oh, just to add insult to injury, there was a technicality that could've saved the points and fine if it had gone to court, but get this, if acquitted you CANNOT claim back legal expenses (at least in that particular neck of the woods).... so it costs you money to defend youself even if you are truly innocent. D'oh!

Cheers,

Pat.
Old 15 July 2001, 08:45 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Talking

Apologies in advance, but got this joke the other day and thought it was both suitable & funny.

What's the difference between a cop with a speed gun and going down on a woman?

When you go down on a woman you can see the cu*t behind the bush.