Sponsored by:

STi fuel....?

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2002, 11:37 AM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably a daft n00b question, but here goes:

Is the MY02 WRX Euro-STi and STi Type UK the same when it comes to ECU mapping and grade of fuel requirements?

Therefore, is a MY02 WRX STi Type UK happy to live on 95RON UL, but happier on SUL - with the same applying to a Euro-STi.

AFAIK the Type UK is a standard Euro-STi with a tracker and an alarm, and that's about it.

Before I take the plunge, I'd appreciate knowing a little more if someone could be kind enough to enlighten me.

Thanks

Shades

PS - Currently looking to go STi, as went to the local Scoob dealer on Saturday and took a standard WRX demo out for a spin and wasn't that impressed. Straight line speed, OK, acceleration, OK, cornering, OK, roundabouts, understeered ridiculously. Nothing set the world on fire as far as performance goes (just OK), and I'm now hoping the STi will...... or at least lights the blue touch-paper!

[Edited by MrShades - 8/19/2002 11:56:53 AM]
Old 19 August 2002, 01:06 PM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

You should consider SUL as the bare minimum - manual recommends 98 RON which in this country = Optimax. I wouldn't even contemplate 95 unless in an absolute emergency. I believe you're correct - the euro sti is identically mechanically to the type uk.

Sti quite a bit different to WRX - expect a bit of frustration till about 3000 rpm - roll on PPP.

Ian
Old 19 August 2002, 02:33 PM
Nick B
Scooby Regular

Shades,
I now drive a Euro spec STI and went through the same fact finding exercise as yourself:
1) Yes the Type UK is the Euro Spec plus CAT 1 Alarm / Tracker and some additional undersealing.
2) 98 Ron recommended in the manual but states that in an emergency you can use 95 Ron fuel (not a bad thing with how hard SUL is to find in the UK. Performance between SUL / Optimax appears to be comparable in mine, but got marginally more mpg out of Optimax for some reason...

Hope this helps.
Nick
Old 19 August 2002, 02:37 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

I would only use 95 for a short period of time and even then not put the car under load(I.e keep it under 4.5K revs). Apparently, When people have test driven an STI with 95 RON fuel it can be heard to det in certain circumstances.

Buy some octane booster, stick it in the boot and use it when you can't find some SUL
Old 19 August 2002, 03:40 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the feedback guys...

...especially Nick B - I may have to pick your brains a little further (where did you get yours from Nick?)

I was intrigued, as the general concensus seems to be UK/Euro STi = SUL, though on here http://www.subaru.co.uk/sti/specs.htm the fuel spec is plainly stated as 95RON minimum.

Does anyone run a UK STi purely on 95 RON?

I'll get there in the end ...

Shades
Old 19 August 2002, 04:09 PM
TomM
Scooby Regular

Dont run your pride and joy on cheap petrol, these engines are built for performance, Optimax makes a difference and is a much much better fuel for performance engines!!! - its proven by geeky scientists and performance car drivers all over the UK!

OK, Ive got an M3 but after 3 tanks the difference was VERY noticeable!, where she would pull right through the rev range before she now pulls like a bloody train right through!!, worth the extra few quid IMHO!!!
Old 19 August 2002, 04:16 PM
swan
Scooby Regular

In SA we can run the WRX on a minimum of 93 and the Sti on 95. Performance is in line with the fuel... I suppose it's something like minimum specs to install one of the MS Windows operating systems - you can run it on that but then be prepared to wait a lot!
Old 20 August 2002, 09:19 AM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

Shades,

Yeah you're right - it does say that in the specs - and probably means the car will move with 95 - but don't expect great performance. Incidentally I was at a BP garage yesterday and their SUL is 98 RON - I always thought BP's was 97

Ian