Sponsored by:

Where are they all coming from? - Prodrive STI type UK

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2002, 10:33 PM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Just been looking on the Autotrader website.

There are numerous low mileage Prodrive STi's for sale with most of them from UK Subaru dealers. I presuming that these are mainly demonstrators but some are quoted as only having done 200 - 250 miles!!!!

They don't seem to be shouting about these much - is this because they would have us think that the model is in short supply & therefore, allow them to charge almost new price for demo cars.

Some are advertised at £26,995 but a few are still listed at £27,495 - this is the new buy price!!!!! Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that as soon as you registered a car in the UK you immediately lose the vat & car tax value from the price. By my quick calculations that would bring the car down to around £25,500 or less!

Surely, demos will be okay if they have only been used on accompanied drives & not for dealer track days?

Maybe there are a few dealers sweating a bit in case they get left with these cars when the presumed MY03 facelift model comes out.

I also heard yesterday that there are no new unregistered official UK Prodrive STI's but around 20 non prodrives left.

Den
Old 18 August 2002, 02:46 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

i get autocar and see loads of sti7's for sale ,some appear to be ex demo's others appear to have been owned with 2-3000 miles on.i think yet again as with p1's subaru have oversaturated the market as when i bought my p1 last year there were plenty to choose from especially ex demo's just like now for the sti's,my local garage has 2 sti's for sale for the last few months and my other local garage has had their demo for sale for 6 months with no interest!!
martin
Old 18 August 2002, 04:19 PM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

Question

Martin

Who is your local garage? Is it T&C Perth? The two STi's they have, are they Prodrive versions & unregistered? Oh, & do you know the colours?

Den
Old 18 August 2002, 04:22 PM
graham pritchard
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

You can bet they have ALL been on dealer track days.
3000miles and 8 sets of tyres!!!
Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.
Old 18 August 2002, 04:35 PM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

Question

If a dealer tells you that a Demo STi has only been on accompamied test drives & no track days should you trust him? If you later found out that you had been misled would you have any comeback on the dealer or Subaru UK (IM)?

Den
Old 18 August 2002, 06:55 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

there are no more prodrive sti's available from i.m. you can get standard ones but any prodrive ones are what the dealer has in stock
Old 18 August 2002, 07:00 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

This is quite funny when I brought my first standard UK turbo in 1998. I was offered 2K above list immediately for it if I wanted to sell seen as I waited 6 months for it I didnt take the offer. This was the good old days when demand out stripped supply .
Old 18 August 2002, 11:01 PM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

Smile

Aye, the dealers can't afford to be so arrogant now can they. I can remember the attitude when asking for extra's or discounts back in 97/98 & being told that if you don't want the car someone else wil gladly take your place!!

Quote 'we don't need to do anything to sell these cars as there are more buyers than cars' - it was true but there is an old saying 'what goes around comes around'

Den
Old 18 August 2002, 11:07 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Den,

The dealers may have them up at 27k - but who pays the screen price?

At the end of the day you've just stated a few good reasons to be able to haggle the price down a few k.

Matt