Pulled by unmarket Mondeo A1 North East

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2002, 10:35 AM
RickyD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Good Morning Chaps!

I didn't have a very good yesterday at work! I was there from 7.15am - 5.45pm and I was supposed to have my early finnish at 3.00pm, that' the Automotive industry for you anyway.

To top it all off I got pulled by an unmarked Blue Mondeo on the A1 North bound on the way to Morpeth.

I was luckly only to get away with a £30 mimimum fine.

I was on the mobile phone (works, not mine) and I saw a Mondeo in the fast lane in the corner of my eye and noticed the carmera's on the dashboard, so I chucked the phone on the seat.

He then pointed my over, a mile later we both pulled into a lay-by. The This is my first time I've been pulled in my own car and on a duel carriage way.

He got me into his car asked me why I thought I'd been pulled over, and I replied "Mobile Phone, Sir!". He said that I was speeding and not in proper control of the vehicle..

I was in the slow lane and people were passing me. Then he said you weren't excessive speeding, I hope not, it's a 50mph speed limit down the stretch of road I was on anway.

10 years driving and it's my first time I've been fined, It could have been worse I suppose. He also spotted the radar detector on the windscreen, I though he was going to have a go about that, all he said was what's that and said that they don't work anyway!!

Anyway, at least I didn't get any points..

Cheers

RickyD
Old 17 August 2002, 10:52 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

You couldn't outrun a Mondeo??
Old 17 August 2002, 11:06 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Were you chatting to the Finnish bird on the phone?
Old 17 August 2002, 12:08 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Question

I'll probably get flamed here, but if you can afford to buy a Scoob, then can you not afford the £10-15 it costs for a hand-free kit?

Whenever I have my phone on in the car, I never answer it unless I have the kit attached to my ear - which used to be alot as I was a sales rep!

Even with a hands-free kit, you are distracted and your responses will be slower because you are not concentrating fully on the road.

I am glad you got off with just a fine, but maybe it will make you think about using a hands-free kit next time?

<Flame suit zipped up and ready to go>
Old 17 August 2002, 03:15 PM
sKunk
Scooby Regular

Get a blue-tooth enabled phone, then get a wireless blue-tooth ear speaker and mike.

Very cool and perform WAY better than the crappy ones we have had to use until now :up:
Old 17 August 2002, 11:29 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Talking

Hands free is defo the way to go if you really can't be parted from your phone for 5 bleeding minutes.

Or you could end up with your name up in lights.

Old 17 August 2002, 11:45 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
all your base?
Old 17 August 2002, 11:46 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

will be mine
Old 18 August 2002, 08:31 AM
RickyD
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks for your responses folks

I think I'll get a hands free kit or simply stop using my phone in the car.

Cheers

RickyD
Old 18 August 2002, 09:03 AM
milne555
Scooby Regular

RickyD

Got pulled by the same car myself on A69 - It is a dark blue Mondeo V6 - they also now have a Dark Blue unmarked Volvo V70 estate. Both cars are new to the police fleet of unmarked cars, the Volvo had stopped someone on the A69 in a 51 plate golf GTi.

Look out !

Dave
Old 18 August 2002, 09:54 AM
audio g man
Scooby Regular

Smile

I just wana shoot out the tyres of drivers talking on their mobile.
Old 18 August 2002, 10:43 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

all your base?
Are belong to us of course.

Anyway, do you have stairs in your house?
Old 18 August 2002, 10:55 AM
yoza
BANNED

Red face

Talkin on mobiles whilst drivin distracts you.......OK
SO does listenin to your radio,cd ect so lets ban them as well.
Oh almost forgot,all fit women should be banned from walkin down the pavement coz thats a distraction aswell.......
Wot a load of boll0ck5.......Im not the sharpest tool in the box,but Im quite capable of talking and driving at tha same time.
Yeah smokin should be banned too.....you need to hold the ciggie in your hand so you havent got full control......my ****
Later Yoza
Old 18 August 2002, 11:34 AM
Mr evolution
Scooby Regular

Personally I can't drive with an ear piece in my ear and for me it is safer just to pick the phone up. If other people prefer a hands free then fair enough but people should be able to take individual responsability for driving safely. The instant leftie labour style cries of "phones are bad M'kay " is just sad and annoying.
Old 18 August 2002, 11:41 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Talking

Oh dear.My Nokia hands free plugs in the *** lighter.Big speaker thing,then wire plugs in bottom of phone,which sits in holder.

Phone rings,press button on phone to answer.Thats it.Talk to dashboard like you would passenger.End call press button again.

No juggling with phone while changing gear,dropping it down side of seat etc.Not exactly a hardship to use eh?

I followed an open top motor with the guy on phone.His speed was all over the place,his hand dropped off the wheel at every gear change so he was steering with "zilch".He gave no signals at roundabouts 'cos he was too busy trying to keep it in one lane.Not very well.

Now if he wants to take himself out,no problem.But why should he get in my space uninvited & put his s$$t on me.If thats being lefty,labour,sad & annoying then i'm guilty.Lock me up & throw away the key.

But when "Mr.I can do more than one thing at once" has a blow out,or hits surface water or has to avoid a bit of artic tyre in the fast lane,just pray he hasn't just let go his other hand to grab his note book & pen.And that your tucked up safely in Tory land.
Old 19 August 2002, 03:24 AM
MonkeyJismTea
Scooby Regular

Ok so say everyone gets to take individual responsibility for driving and using your phone(which to be fair you do anyway), let me use a real life example, I am a Paramedic by trade and I went to a motorway accident where a guy had been so busy on his phone he didnt notice the brake lights in front of him, luckily he wasnt injured as he was in a 17 ton truck he admitted it was his fault as he was on the phone, however for the 2 adults and 1 child who were killed and the one child now an orphan I doubt that really helped.

May sound a bit dramatic but its true.

Old 19 August 2002, 01:21 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

You were unlucky to get pulled and it rounded of a bad day.

As to hands free my company just put one in my company van for me as a bonus for good performance of my contracts and i would not want to drive with out it now, i had a different van for a day last week and struggled to go back to the old juggling act of van and phone the only thing i don't like is the fact that change your phone means a new hands free kit at £200 it is a lot of money but i think all companies which supply phones to their staff and with company vehicles should be required to fit one as standard! Now with Blue Tooth the compatabilty issue could be solved so it is not so costly in the long run.
Old 19 August 2002, 01:26 PM
snowcrash
Scooby Regular

All your base...

that is a kick *** site
Old 19 August 2002, 01:27 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

My nokia hands free car kit answers the phone for me turns the radio down then hangs up and turns the radio back up it's brilliant.
Old 19 August 2002, 04:14 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I have answered my phone in the car before but I have since noticed how bad people drive whilst on the phone..

it is easy to think you are fine when you are not..

I have before now pulled along side someone on the motorway after following them driving like a pra77 (slowing down, speeding up, crossing white lines etc) whilst on the phone..
weas on the bike and after a couple of 11000rpm revs he got bored trying to hear what the other person was saying on the phone and put it down.. he probably had no idea why I did it but it made me feel better...

JGM