Sponsored by:

Windscreen Woes....

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2002, 08:36 AM
Makalu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Wasnt sure where to post this one so I'll stick it here and Im sure the Mods will put it where it belongs!

Im feeling very lucky at the moment because a tiny stone licked up by a wagon decided - out of all the free space in the world - to come and hit my windscreen rather than spend the rest of its life in a ditch somewhere. Consequently I have a crack in my MY01 windsreen and need to replace it.

Q. Who has found the best / cheapest windscreen replacment company and any idea how much this is going to cost me?

Thanks in anticipation all,
Mak.
Old 05 August 2002, 08:56 AM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Question

Firstly is it repairable? Most fully comp insurance policies will cover repairs for free, ring them and ask which repairer they would want you to use?

If not repairable most policies have an excess of £50-£60 which allegedly won't affect your premium come renewal time.
Old 05 August 2002, 09:02 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Mak,

If your insurance doesn't cover it with the excess mentioned in the previous post you are looking at a bill around £260!

I saw the number on the invoice I got when I had to have mine replaced, covered thankfully by the insurance and a £60 excess.

Mark
Old 05 August 2002, 09:07 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Time to get some value out of your insurance premium!

Broken windscreens seem to be about the only thing that insurance companies really don't blame you for. My car is 2 1/2 years old and already on its third screen, yet my premiums are actually going down each year. I've declared claims for windscreens before and been told by insurers that they don't even need to know about them.

If you have a fully comp policy, you'll be looking at a £50-60 excess, but for that you should get someone to come out to your home or office and swap the screen while you wait. If you pay for it yourself, it's likely to be £400+.

A word of caution - if you can, watch whoever does it and ensure that they don't damage the clips that hold the screen in, or that they can fit new ones. To cut a long story short, after my second replacement screen was fitted, the windscreen trims came loose and started flapping about in the wind. I couldn't be bothered arguing, and ended up paying another £60 to have it fixed.
Old 05 August 2002, 02:49 PM
Makalu
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys...
A quick call to Tesco's (My insurer) confirms that it will cost me £50 quid and thats it. No ill effects on my policy and no damage to my NCB.

Hurrah!

Mak.
Old 05 August 2002, 06:37 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

My wonderful insurance company have a £300 excess on windscreen claims! Goes in tomorrow for either a £40 repair or £400 quoted for the screen!
Old 05 August 2002, 07:43 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Yeh, mine gets replaced tomorrow am. Some berk in a Merc went past me last Saturday evening and stone chipped me. He could not read the 20mph signs that were right in his face! This on a car that's only 3 weeks old. I ask you.

Luckily my xs is £25. Only problem is I will have to watch the installer like a hawk to ensure that a) he does not scratch my paintwork and b) does not bend the clips holding the screen in.

WB
Old 05 August 2002, 10:17 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I'll second Andy_C with the costs - £50 xs or £400 to do it not through insurance

Mine was put through on M1 first day I went out in it. Whatever hit me lightly grazed the bonnet in two places first to start the chip count [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Autoglass had the screen in stock (Pilkington's) but had to wait about a week for the kosher surround seal strip from Subaru

I've got a bit of a knock on the trim strip across the bottom under the wipers I've now got to investigate / plaster up with something otherwise fine.

Fitter bloke said they were used to doing scooby screens and they were easy to do - dunno what to read into that...

Apple
Old 05 August 2002, 10:22 PM
MowbrayWRX
Scooby Regular

Word of warning people.

Watch your bodywork too. Fitters have a habit of leaning on your wings and guess what yes, two nice dents at the top of the wing where the inner skin of the front wing goes making it difficult for dent removal.

Make sure you get a genuine replacement as there are lots of different ones out there, When I phoned one company they told me that my 02 should have a blue tinted screen, I think not.

The trim that you refer to should be replaced as it will not fit properly again.

Better if you take it to your dealer as the job is easier with TWO fitters making sure it goes in the right place.

Make sure they put any stickers back on , that includes your TAX Disc.

People out there dont know what they are on about, 02 Wagon screens being 1/2 wider than the saloons?????.

Make sure you have your chassis/Vin number handy just in case.

Lessons learned the hard way

Tony S
Old 05 August 2002, 10:47 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Question

Tony

I contacted my local dealer and they said that they'd just get in the RAC to do it and would then probably stick their cut on top for good measure - didn't fancy paying for 2 hours labour if they could get away with it (for the priviledge of using their forecourt)

When you say about using genuine parts - OK for the strip but how do you get a kosher Subaru screen unless the dealer orders it at extortionate rates and do they get an official OES part with the same manufacturer's markings or effectively re-route an aftermarket screen?

Just asking for future reference but I hope not

My Pilkington replacement's the same colour tint as the side windows and looks OK AFAIK.

Apple
Old 05 August 2002, 11:31 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Tony ,

The 01 wagon windscreen _is_ about 1/2" deeper ( top > bottom ) than the saloon. I didn't believe it either until the jokers supplied & fitted the wrong one.
( and I'd even given them the VIN number )

Steve
Old 06 August 2002, 10:41 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Mine did not get fixed today. Bloke could not get the screen surround off. Then he realised he would have to order a new one from a dealer.

Told the fitters office in no uncertain terms yesterday that I did not want my car damagaed in any way by their fitter. Seemed to work as he swaffegered his hands before he started, but left a thousand fingerprints everywhere before he went.

Yes I'm fussy but its me pride & joy. When he next arrives I will do something I hate, ie stand over him while he does the job!

WB
Old 06 August 2002, 10:50 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Just had mine done - £50 quid on the insurance. It was genuine, Iknow cos the guy from autoglass had just picked it up from Lancasters. Job was fine, however "sorry mate, yer tax disk holder broke when I took it out" - ****, more like you gave it a tug clumsly and it ripped, so now I need a new SIDC tax disc holder -"yeh its alright I fitted a new one" not quite the same - Autoglass or SIDC?

andy(mine is pilkington btw)