ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Talk me out of going Scooby to Skoda ?

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2002, 08:23 AM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I just have to stick my oar in here, sorry!

I am a sad man, I love my Skoda! I think it is one of the best cars I have owned, as an overall package. Very biased and all my opinion

Economics
Skoda wins this hands down. Purchase price is at least £4k cheaper, if you compare import prices, more (about £8k) if you compare UK prices. Fuel economy, no contest! My overall average is 29.5mpg. This includes 150 miles at Donington (was getting 11mpg) and 62 laps of the Ring (was getting 9mpg). Motorway runs I get mid 30's, best yet is 48.9 cruising at an indicated 70. Servicing, Skoda wins again. You get a choice of service intervals, either fixed 10k of variable (usually 18-20k). Because of my miles and how/where I drive I went fixed. I have had the following:

10k £58
20k £126
30k £98
40k £238 (included a spare coil @ £60 and 4 calliper mounting bolts £12, as spares at my request)
The 50k will be £58

If its a company car, get the Skoda. 192g/km on the emissions as opposed to 225+ from the Scoob. Based on the purchase price, the Skoda wins easily.

Performance
OK, Scoob wins this, sort of! Off the line Scoob has it, combination of traction and gear ratios. Mine are frankly ridiculous (roughly, 48, 75, 115, 138, 172) and it is front wheel drive. Over 110mph (on a track) the Skoda will win, aerodynamics and gearing help. Mid range I would say there is not a lot in it. I have only done comparisons with Davyboy's 01 WRX full de-cat and Gossy's 98 wagon and I would say there is naff all in it once moving. I am only comparing mine here 'cos its so long since mine was standard. I'm running 228bhp and 242 lb/ft.Handling is a tough one to call. Depends what you are used to. The Skoda is very benign and controllable (so long as you don't want to left foot brake, 'cos it won't let you ) Quite tail happy due to roll oversteer, but very, very controlled. Others have been in mine round tracks and can vouch for that. At Donington I was gaining on people through all the fast parts but was loosing out at Melbourne and out onto the start/finish straight.

Interior
Gotta give this to the Skoda, although 01 onwards Scoobs have improved. Part leather, full climate control, 8 speaker, 6 CD changer, all standard. Well screwed together (like most VAG cars) and it seems to have borrowed a lot of parts from Volkswagen and Audi. Boot is massive, although they have stolen rear seat space to make it so. Scoob seats are better for holding you in place round tracks and in the twistys.

The driving experience, well it all depends what you want. I do a lot of miles (48k since end of last September) most on motorways, so I want something I can just cruise in. However, I also enjoy the odd trip to the track (I've done Donington, Castle Coombe, Goodwood and 230 laps of the Ring, all this year). Fun to surprise people with a Skoda! (mine is badged as a 1.4 16v )

As I said at the begining, this is probably very biased and it is my opinion, mind you, I know at least 6 people who have now bought them having been in mine. As for the badge, I love the inverted snobbery of it! Dunno where you are based, but you are welcome to come have a look at mine / go for a play!

Apologies for the length of the post!

[Edited by TaviaRS - 8/5/2002 8:26:37 AM]
Old 08 June 2002, 12:10 PM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

I agree with Ian, just did a search on autotrader website, the cheapest I could find near me. 2001 Y Reg silver with 5k miles £13,495. £2k drop in 1 year, not bad if you ask me. and the search only found 2 results.

[Edited by mannyo - 8/6/2002 12:11:59 PM]
Old 04 August 2002, 03:11 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Question

Thinking about swapping my 99MY hatch for an 01 Octavia RS (Audi TT engine) and chipping to 210/220bhp soon after

Will I regret doing this or am I selling it at the right time ?(before 60k service and not too high mileage to affect trade in)

I see it as a cut price Audi in build, equipment, performance.

Anyone actually DONE it and genuinely not missing their Scooby ?
HELP !

(ps I'm over the Skoda name syndrome as I had a Legacy Turbo when everyone thought that Subaru only made old-mans-cars)
Old 04 August 2002, 03:15 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

SKODASKODASKODASKODASKODA
Old 04 August 2002, 03:19 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Wink

That didn't work (see above).
Try again
Old 04 August 2002, 03:27 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Flat 4X4,

You will find a number of scoobynetters have chosen the Octavia RS as a Scoob alternative. TaviaRS has great fun humbling scoobs on track, even at the ring. He also had it GPS tracked at over 160mph with his 240bhp conversion.

Have you ever sat in an RS? Makes the Scoob interior look cheap and nasty even if the Audi quality half leather seats aren't as grippy as the Scoobs.

The OctaviaRS is well publised as being the best handling FWD car available from Volkswagon Audi Group and the tuning potential is vast as all the VW, Audi tuning firms products fit straight on.

For the price its an absolute bargain, dealers are first class too.

Skoda seem to be in a similar position to Subaru 15 years ago when their performance and luxury models were just taking off although Skoda has the advantage of rich parents and a huge parts bin.

Not doing a very good job of talking you out of it am I

Lee
Old 04 August 2002, 03:32 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Cool

Logiclee

I can see where you get your name from - you're thinking exactly the same things that I am !!

I've driven one twice and whilst it's not as quick, I know the tuning potential (had Audis before) and know that I would be happy enough with 210/220bhp from a 'stage 1'-type chip.

On black they also look mean...

Tell me what I won't like please - name ? / FWD not AWD ? etc
Old 04 August 2002, 03:48 PM
benview7
Scooby Regular

You forgot one thing!!!!! You meet a nicer sort of person here on Scoobynet!!!!!!! check out the Skoda Club!!!!!

stick with the scooby, I have had many cars always return to a Scooby even from a Porsche!!!!!

Still want my plate now you have extra cash to buying new cars(lol) make your scooby look like new 2129 MY Cheers Ian
Old 04 August 2002, 05:35 PM
puppypower
Scooby Regular

Let your car do the talking mate.

Go to the Skoda garage park your car next to the RS and listen to the difference on startup.

A Scooby is like a TVR it has such a distinctive noise. Remember why you went for one in the first place.

And it's a bloody SKODA for gods sake man!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04 August 2002, 08:18 PM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

Cough! splutter... compare like with like........chipped RS versus uprated scooby to play fair...

I tried an RS before buying a Seat Leon Cupra (better finish IMHO and with the six speed box same engine and lighter weight even quicker)

Great in the dry though the traction control can spoil the party sometimes.

To the point...In the wet both these cars are a joke compared to a scooby, if you plan to use it in the UK you will soon learn to hate its lack of traction in damp conditions......it took me 3 months to realise my mistake and rejoin the merry band here. Dont make the same mistake!
Old 04 August 2002, 08:23 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Do it mate - you won't be disappointed. I am most pleased with my Tavia, and the only mod I've done so far is adding front mudflaps

The facelift that is in the pipeline for the Scoobs could well affect current values, so go for an RS for a while - if you don't like it, well they currently hold their value quite well, so you can move back to Scoobydom if you so desire.

Since moving from the Scoob to the Skoda I've noticed a few more papery things in my wallet (Mrs SWRTWannabe calls them "Shopping vouchers") too!!
Old 04 August 2002, 09:30 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

OK - Still not sure and need to make a decision in the next couple of days. So:-

Scooby sounds great and has all-weather traction. I'd miss the last one, but I thought the traction control was pretty good on the Scud ???

Scud (with 210bhp as that is like-for-like for me) is not as quick but costs a lot less to run - insurance, 16/20k service intervals, 30mpg.

Can anyone comment on the Scud's handling - from experience ?
As mentioned it's supposed to be pretty good for a VAG car

Oh, what will my 99MY 50k be worth at 60k? They're talking £10k trade in now against a used £12.5k Scud with v low miles.
Do you reckon about £8.5k ?

Old 04 August 2002, 09:41 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Must admit I do like the Skoda !

but never been in one so cant comment further. Go for it ! It makes sense and it'll still be fun

Paul
Old 05 August 2002, 08:44 AM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Tavia

Thanks for that - who did the 228bhp mod - was it just chip or did you go for the (expensive larger turbo) ? I will get a 210/220 chip if I buy the car.

Decision day today - I've driven it and it makes total sense - but I'm 'worried' that I will miss the 4WD and the punch of the Subaru ?

When you say a few others have bought one, are you the only one whose gone from a Scooby ?

Sorry many questions but I am really torn here !

Old 05 August 2002, 08:58 AM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Its a lot more subtle than the Scoob. It doesn't seem to be going as fast as it is, probably because its quieter, slightly softer, and more "insulated" from the outside world ie less NVH, but it is quick. It is actually quite fun to drive, bearing in mind that it is FWD and it is more at home on quick twisties than slow ones. Depends what sort of driving you do and how much security you need (in terms of 4wd).

Mine has had a very conservative chip and has had a full exhaust with free flow cat. Those figures may be low as my exhaust alone gave 15bhp and 35 lb/ft. Remap for others has recently been giving about 220bhp (on a 4x4 and another RS).
Old 05 August 2002, 09:25 AM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Question

I used to be indecisive and now I'm not so sure...
Old 05 August 2002, 09:36 AM
puppypower
Scooby Regular

ITS A BLOODY SKODA!!!!!

Remember why you joined the family in the first place? You will regret it.

I know they have come on leeps and bounds but come on, when someone asks you what you drive, and you say Skoda, forget the RS etc It's still a Skoda.

PP
Old 05 August 2002, 09:41 AM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

And it feels good to say it!

Old 05 August 2002, 11:28 AM
Practos
Scooby Regular

my father has a Tavia, 3000km and the gearbox is totally finished and thats with a driver that never abuses it !

U get what U pay for.
Old 05 August 2002, 11:36 AM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

I've made a Very Tough Decision to keep the Subaru after 'doing the deal' on a Skoda. Literally a knife-edge choice.

I would say to anyone with any anti-Skoda feelings or to those who don't know much about them to put your prejudices to one side. I've spent a lot of time looking into the RS Octavia -its excellent

They are brilliantly built, have an Audi-esque interior and have a very strong engine that can be easily modded. The handling and brakes are also very fine.

If you are thinking that it's time to swap from a 98/99 Subaru and don't want to pay £18k+ for a WRX with less performance or £15k+ for a Civic Type R, 2001 51 Plate Octavias are yours for under £13k.

In six month's time I may change my mind. If they decide to bring in the estate (Combi) RS to the UK that would tip the balance for me.

Old 05 August 2002, 11:55 AM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

puppypower,
Thats the feeling I had towards skoda until I drove one, which I now own by the way. now I think completely the other way. its a great car and the RS is a cheap way to get Audi TT performance for much less cash.

practos,
I guess all cars have there niggles, but TaviaRS has done nearly 50k miles in his RS and apart from a couple of ignition coil failures (common failure on all VAG 1.8T engines not just skoda). has had no problems, this from a Skoda that has done more than 250 laps of the nurburgring, and other trackdays. I have 20k miles on mine and have had no trouble at all.

I guess another thing to look at is residual values. I dont know about scoobs but in the 12 months I have had mine, I have lost proberbly about £3000 on the price I paid because skoda cant make the RS fast enough and there is a 3 month waiting list as each car is custom built.
Old 05 August 2002, 01:08 PM
TurboBoost
Scooby Regular

Might be wise to check out the Leon Cupra R before spending money trying to get a Skoda up to the same spec.
Old 05 August 2002, 01:13 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Turboboost - I've already decided to stay with the Subaru (FOR NOW)

Brilliant value though if you don't need a 6 speed box in a Leon R

51 plate with low miles - £13k (Already has 17" wheels / S3 discs)
AmD or Jabbasport remap - £500 (Takes it to 220bhp)

But you can get a low mileage RS for £13k plus £500 for an AMD or Jabbasport remap
Old 05 August 2002, 01:18 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

The majority of those who knock the Skoda are those who haven't bothered looking at one or driving it.

Best people to get a demo off are TaviaRS (erm an RS ) and ianc (1.8T 4X4 estate)

There is nothing wrong with them apart from the fact that Skoda aren't looking at seriously tuning these cars!!!

The potential for these as a track wepaon is phenomenal!

I had the pleasure of driving TaviaRS's car and I have to say it was an eye opener and I was VERY impressed

Michelle
Old 05 August 2002, 01:23 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

I think the RS is a cracking car. Whats a name anyway - if the car is good then the car is good. Any of you actually remember that the Subaru brand used to stand proud amongst farmer and country types ??? - thought not.

You can't even get a WRX Sport for Octavia RS money - and even if you could - the skoda would leave it for dead.

I seriously thought of one when switching the P1 to a PD150 golf but I decided to plump for oil burner. Our fun car now hits 0-60 in 3.1 seconds and 100 in less than 9. The golf does a fine job of a daily driver - when you can't actually exploit the power and handling of a subaru most of the time.

As for left foot braking - the Golf won't let you do it either - must be the ASR/ESP doing its stuff - if you left foot to balance the car on a corner it won't let you get back on the gas for about 1-2 seconds which sucks.

They VAG cars are defo quite rolly to drive....I managed to get lift-off oversteer at 15mph the other day on a dry roundabout without even trying in the 150 oil burner - crazy stuff. (note to self - the oil burner is not a P1 - drive accordingly)

Still - I reckon the RS is a great car - and one to be proud of too.

Ian.

[Edited by igratton - 8/5/2002 1:29:00 PM]
Old 06 August 2002, 03:16 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Drove Ian Cs Skoda 4x4 1.8T estate with chip to 222bhp at Elvington. Very nice to drive,lovely interior and going like a train at 2000rpm. Depending what you want this car warrants serious consideration.
With the badge taken off the back it could be a real Q-Car.
Old 06 August 2002, 04:55 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Wink

Practus,

You get more than what you paid for.

That is for Skoda money you get the same running gear as the VW's and Audi's with the 1.8T engine/5speed box.

Lee
Old 06 August 2002, 07:49 AM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Or for the real Q car effect (as suggested by Harvey) you could always do this:

Old 06 August 2002, 09:03 AM
ianc
Scooby Regular

hehe, yes harvey I'm considering it, just can't decide which badge to go for.

1.9 SDI maybe, but then there are some quick diesels about these days, so may gor the 1.6 route.
Old 06 August 2002, 09:05 AM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

Dont forget there are some quick 1.6's as well

Quick Reply: Talk me out of going Scooby to Skoda ?