Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where can I re-register my car within a 1000 mile radius?

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2001, 10:43 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After all the sh*t with speed enforcement devices I want to know if there are any countries within say 1000 miles where I can re-register the car ( but not havee to be resident in that country) so that I can avoid prosecution - after all they'd have problems if it was registered, say in the Czech Republic!

I dont know what the further implications of this would be - ie Insurance, MOT's etc, but then again you dont need to own a car to insure it - so I cant see insurance being a problem - I'm not bothered about an address - I'm sure that cant be difficult

Any thoughts anyone - I dont think its such a daft idea if its possible????
Old 21 June 2001, 12:17 AM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

Isle Of Man no MOT lower tax and what emissions !!

Daz.
Old 21 June 2001, 07:55 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Don't bother - insurance probs - if I remember EU regs you have to insure the car in the country it is registered, plus you can only drive it here for so long if you are permanently resident without re-registering it locally - IIRC 6 months.
Old 21 June 2001, 08:09 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by steve McCulloch:
<B>After all the sh*t with speed enforcement devices I want to know if there are any countries within say 1000 miles where I can re-register the car ( but not havee to be resident in that country) so that I can avoid prosecution - after all they'd have problems if it was registered, say in the Czech Republic!

I dont know what the further implications of this would be - ie Insurance, MOT's etc, but then again you dont need to own a car to insure it - so I cant see insurance being a problem - I'm not bothered about an address - I'm sure that cant be difficult

Any thoughts anyone - I dont think its such a daft idea if its possible????[/quote]

You maybe on to something - a number of hauliers now have their trucks (and quite often their businesses) registered over seas to avoid the criminal £5k+ road fund license per wagon, hence why so many british trucks, belonging to british firms have foreign number plates - they must get round it somehow?? Granted they probably spend a fair amount of time overseas, but only trips to and from!

Keep us informed!! The Czech subaru owners club might be in for a great swelling in numbers
Old 21 June 2001, 08:44 AM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Steve

This is a fairly good idea. However, only going to protect you really from being nicked by cameras.

If you get stopped by traffic, they nick you, and not the car. Lets say for instance that you constantly break the law in your car, and you live in azbekistan, eventually they will realise that there is a car doing the rounds that they simply cannot manage to prosecute the driver for, and subsequently there will be a warrant out for your arrest for failure to "produce documents, failure to respond to NIPs etc etc" the list is actually endless. Police issue warrants for arrest for all sorts of reasons, and although you may think your un-traceable the car will still be deamed "marked" and you will be being looked out for..

In theory, a good idea, in practise, might cause you some problems.

Ron
Old 21 June 2001, 09:53 AM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm

I can certainly imagine the European Union countries will be a problem - esp. with the expectation that there will be a Union wide license and points system in the not too distant future - who knows?

As far as being done goes - I have been caught speeding in France

I got a 600 Ff fine

I can live with a £60 fine!

Its the various new stealth devices I'm worried about - I am not saying that I will deliberatley be breaking the law all the time -I'll just get done one time say too often

I want a defence agaisnt the stupidity of the current motoring law - fair enough in most built up areas - totally disgraceful on motorways and non-urban dual carriageways

If the car where registered abroad I dont see how they could trace me at all! - I dont think they have the juristiction to follow it up

Old 21 June 2001, 10:24 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Steve,

Just slow down, it is a lot easier.

Cheers

Ian
Old 21 June 2001, 02:49 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Question

So can you register you car in the IOM easily and do the police not just trace you back to the IOM address and offer you points??

Jon
Old 21 June 2001, 05:08 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Yes I would have thought this was not possible - I looked at Ireland - but thats a no-no as you have to be a resident there to register in Eire