Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Forum - Was It You Stuck to my bumper intimidating me/my family

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2002, 06:56 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about a name and shame forum on Scoobynet as it appears only Imprezas do this?
Old 23 July 2002, 06:59 PM
D Noble
Scooby Regular

He He,i'll second that motion
Old 23 July 2002, 07:00 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

Only Imprezas???? 99.9% of the time it happens to me it's a "van with windows" (MPV) LOL
Old 23 July 2002, 07:57 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
[Innocent mode on - 'cos we've all done it]

I was unfortunately stuck to your bumper as I accelerated as you went past the last obstacle expecting you to pull over as there was nothing in any 2/3 lanes for next 1/2 mile but you insisted on staying there blocking the outside lane & holding up traffic - forum

[Innocent mode off]

Said it before & said it again, dipsticks apart, that a "Driver Education Program" or Enforcement, by the police/government, to get people to move over to the left when it is safe to do so, like most times ( ) would speed up the m'ways/dual-c's no end & reduce road rage/intimidation incidents etc etc etc.

For as long as people insist on their right to driving in the middle/ o/side lane of a m'way/dual-c'way when the Highway Code says you should keep left, the longer Paul's rant will exist.

& scoobs do it too BTW - white WRX on M11 thurs/friday last week - can't be ar$ed to wave to a plonker in the middle lane [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 23 July 2002, 08:37 PM
merlin
Scooby Regular

There's a balance to be drawn between hogging the middle lane and changing lanes too frequently. I heard the police talking about this a while ago. They recommended the 10 second rule. If within 10 seconds of moving into the nearside lane you have to move out again to overtake, then you should have stayed in the middle lane.

People (and I include myself in this) don't like to move over if there's a likelihood that by moving over they will get trapped behind slower moving traffic in the middle or near side lanes. Other people are too lazy to move over. The elderly also don't like changing lanes too often... maybe it's because their vision is not all it should be and they think changing lane is too risky...

Can anyone tell me why people tailgate in the fast lane when there's a queue of traffic all doing 80-90? If you let the tailgater by then they gain about a second before they get stuck behind the next car in the queue. By letting them through the cars behind them follows through and again you are trapped in the middle lane behind slower moving traffic.

Agree with Puff on the need for driver education (especially to stop tailgaters) and why can't we undertake like in the US...? In my limited experience of driving down a 7 lane highway in LA, it worked well with all traffic spread evenly between lanes travelling at similar speeds.

IMHO there's no excuse for hogging the middle lanes if the road is relatively empty...
Old 23 July 2002, 10:06 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Merlin

May I draw your attention to driving on the Continent? I understand your points, but drive on most other roads in europe & the lane discipline is unbelievable compared to the UK Drivers are aware of what else is happening around them & position themselves accordingly. Its laziness & arrogance (read potential road rage) that really is the reason for not moving over.

Gotta say that this is my pet hate so 'scuse the rant.
Old 23 July 2002, 10:19 PM
STI MAN
Scooby Regular

I've notices over the last 2-3 years that UK driving is getting pretty appauling.

I was driving in the UK last weekend and apart from the outside lane syndrome, people now seem to have a absolute hatred of anyone trying to overtake, it really pi$$ed me off!

If a psychiatrist were to psycho-analyse it, he might conclude that people see it as "bowing down / giving in / etc", but FFS[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] it's getting bloody dangerous!

No wonder the coppers are so keen with the cameras, wait about 2 years and the majority will be on busses and trains as they are banned from driving

Old 24 July 2002, 12:08 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Angry

It's arrogance, pure and simple. It's "I'm doing 65/70/75/etc so I should be in the FAST lane, and I'm not moving over".
It's dangerous, and it's only in the UK.
Last year I was lucky enough to be driving in South Africa - apart from a lack of traffic, when you do catch somebody, they move over onto the hard shoulder for you to overtake. You say thanks with a flash of the hazards, and they don't feel like they have "given in".
Driving in Europe is much the same - it's a two-way thing for the overtaker and overtakee to ensure that the manouevre is completed safely. People don't accelerate to close the gap you're about to pull into, or pull across the white line (dashed, of course!) as you're about to come past, or flash you once you've pulled in, or tailgate you once you're past, etc, etc...
Old 24 July 2002, 12:36 PM
Makalu
Scooby Regular

My 2c...

Motorway driving and tailgating are slightly different to having a tosser intimidating you on a dual carriageway, 'A' road or back lane.

Powerful cars are well within the financial reach of young (and sometimes aggressive) drivers. And they are not always young lads either. Because they have a 150 Bhp Novatron AX GT they seem to have to prove that they are better / faster than everyone else and to prove this by employing a sort of 'stuck to your towbar' style of driving. As a responsable driver you have two choices - let them get by and ignore them or play along with their dangerous game of cat and mouse. My personal view is that I try to let them pass because I dont know how good a driver they are and a high speed chase game could result in an accident. BUT (Hands Up -im guilty) there have been occaisions when I have known the road well and have had great pleasure in showing them a clean pair of heels.

I can fully understand the feeling of intimidation felt by people who have no interest in being a part of their persuers testosterone/oestrogen fix.

Regarding Motorway driving...
I do 30,000+ miles a year - 80% of this on motorways. I too have been guilty of driving too close to someone who refuses to move over and let me pass because, at the time, I felt so frustrated at their lack of awareness of my presence , I felt the need to let them know I was there and that I wanted to pass them. Once I do get past them, I have to admit that I feel like a real prat for having driven dangerously.

I can also say from my experience that the majority of 'lane hoggers' on the motorway seem to be (white) Vans who dont bother to use their mirrors ("why should I, Im bigger than them..."), BMW 3 series drivers (mainly young male but quite a few female drivers) and bl**dy people carriers travelling at warp factor nine because it has a 3.0L V6 lump underneath it. Again, I try whenever possible to let them pass me - I "drive my own race" as the F1 drivers say.

Final words - Be Aware, Be Safe... let the other guy kill himself - he doesnt need your help!

(Sorry for sounding off on this... young idiots and motorway bullies are my top pet hates about driving in this country!)
Mak.

Old 24 July 2002, 01:02 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry

Mak

You've pushed my 'rant' button there - people carriers and micro carriers.

Arrrgh!

I've seen loads of these being driven at warp factor 9 in every condition, even on the school run and outside schools

I've come to the conclusion that due to financial circumstance or family commitments, these people are forced to drive 'comfy buses' (people carriers) or 'posh super minis' (A2/A class) against their will. They try to drive them like normal sports saloons when clearly they're not. It must be a frustration thing

F
Old 24 July 2002, 01:24 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

If you are not in the overtaking line doing 70 / 80 / 90 /100 mph, why would anybody sit on your bumper?
Old 24 July 2002, 05:14 PM
Kempo
Scooby Regular

<flame mode on>
There is absolutely no need to tail gate a car on the motorway, when it is far easier to undertake those cars using the inside and middle lanes that are completely empty
<flame mode off>

Seriously though, people hogging lanes and failing to move back to the inside once thay have completed an overtake really get me, but people intimidating other road users on single / dual carriageway roads which are busy is out of order!

Paul
edited for spelling

[Edited by Kempo - 7/24/2002 5:15:23 PM]
Old 24 July 2002, 05:57 PM
snowcrash
Scooby Regular

what about the buggers who drive 40mph in a national and then 40mph in a 30 past a school!!!!! i see this happening everyday on my way to work...

worst culprits MPV's, Land Rover's, Buses, Corsa's etc etc etc.. i always make a point of slowing down past those areas - and tailgate when they are going friggin slow on the national...)
Old 24 July 2002, 06:08 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One speed man.....

second only to middle lane man.

Yes, one speed man annoys the hell out of me, they slow me down on empty stretched of nat speed limit, only for me to let them go, as I make a point of not speeding through all the local villages round here.

Paul
Old 24 July 2002, 07:34 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

If you think the lane discipline is bad in the UK, try driving in the US(Florida) - Scary Stuff!!!:O
Old 24 July 2002, 09:23 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
taking over in middle lane is against the law?
Old 24 July 2002, 10:55 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Bluenose - They drive on the wrong side of the road - no wonder you were scared .

let's not forget flat-cap man
Old 25 July 2002, 10:17 AM
airhead
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

my 2 cents worth.

I thought that driving ettequette was bad in the UK, but coming to NZ it is just bl**dy awful. I'm sure NZ has as many road deaths as the uk, despite having 3.8m population compared to ~56m for the uk.
I'll put money on NZ having some of the worst road accident stats per head of population for any OECD country.

Lane Disipline is bad. Coming out home last night, the emptyish 3 lane higway had 2 cars ahead of me in a gap of say 0.5km. Both were in the fast lane, not even the middle lane. I undertook them swiftly from the slow lane, and moved over (smoothly & gently) to the fast lane to overtake normal density traffic. Seems people here are totally oblivious to what is around them.

My pet hate is people driving 2 inches from my bumper. Anoying evan if traffic is crawling for 60mins on the 30km crawl to work. No excuse for it, and dangerous in the typical stop/start conditions I experience daily. The closer they get, the slower I go. Most learn to back off if they want a smooth journey. Fast traffic, I just pull over and let them sit on someone elses @rse instead.

Also have a very boy racer image over here. Whilst writing this our local neighbour (Mr Skyline), has just done his nightly, boy racer/high revs/load exhaust/burn off with dump valve/routine - yes this is a residential road. Recognise the sound of his car now.

Also, filling up with fuel this evening, another skyline (differant one) had to do a MASSIVE wheel spin/fast take off mid petrol station. Maybe he saw the scooby and thought I would be impressed - yeah right bro !! Pl*nker !!!.

NB - Both skylines are old and dated, GTS I think, some of which are 4 door !! Not like the iconised GT-R !!

SA driving was a breeze. Driving up the N7, most people are well mannered and pull over into the yellow lane to let you through.
Seen some horrific driving on the N1 though, especially trucks.

Rant Over....for now.
Old 25 July 2002, 10:29 AM
airhead
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

PS - got this article from a kiwi motoring mag about this guy (motoring corrospondant) who went on hols to th uk, and just had to write an editorial about how civilised they were over there, and how everyone let other people in.

Doesn't happen here, people do not let other people out, and there are quite a few piles of red and white glass (plastic) at intersections. I'm sure most of NZ is ok, but auckland is, in a word, mental.

The state highway system has to be the best example of road congestion/public transport integration failure in the world.

Rant over..for tonight anyway.
Old 25 July 2002, 11:30 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

You lot should try driving in Germany then when no bugger moves out the way especially th Mercs.