Attn Stevethevet

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2002, 09:29 AM
jjk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi Stevethevet
Can you let me know some more info about your FQ300 - STI7 experience.
I have a WRSport RB5 which I love.
I test drove the STI7 (not for long though) and did not fall in love with it. Got back into mine and didnt want to change mine.
I also drove the FQ300 which I quite liked.
I wont be selling for a while but when I do I would rather have the FQ300 I think.
I would be very interested and grateful if you let me know what made you change your mind as test driving a car is obvoiusly totally different to owning one.

Many thanks

Jas
Old 18 July 2002, 02:31 PM
jjk
Scooby Regular

BTTT
Old 18 July 2002, 04:51 PM
Stevethevet
Scooby Regular

Hi Jas. Really pushed for time at the minute! Will be back later with a full rundown. Bet you can't wait!!!

Cheers Steve.
Old 19 July 2002, 12:26 AM
Stevethevet
Scooby Regular

Hi Jas.

To be fair to the FQ300 my problems were with Mitsubishi UK more than the car itself. I am quite sure the Evo is a great car but..

I had a very similar experience to yourself. I had a MY99 Turbo which I loved but at 3 years old wanted a new car. Drove the STi and felt the handling, body control, composure and grip were awesome but was disappointed with acceleration. The FQ was very fast and that won me over.

Delivery was a nightmare!!! To cut a long story short, I was lied to (not an overexaggeration I promise you), fed misinformation and generally treated poorly by the dealer which resulted in a loss of a lot of time and money on my part. The car was delivered late and faulty. Lots of small niggly faults, e.g. scratch on sill, fog light switch not working, exhaust loose and set off-centre etc, etc but two quite major faults - steering and gearbox. The dealer messed me around for weeks and could not/would not sort the car so in the end I asked for my money back (and got it immediately).

The STi 7 was delivered within 9 days of ordering in PERFECT condition.

Having had the benefit of driving the FQ300 for 5 (miserable) weeks and now the STi 7 for 2 (fantastic) weeks I feel quite strongly that the STi is, in fact, the better car all round. It seems not so quick in a straight line (although the car is so much more civilised than the evo, performance is deceptive and I'm beginning to realise the STi is faster than it, at first, appears) but it is superior to the Evo in practically every other way (as I mentioned above). I am delighted with the way it behaves and believe that on most A roads the difference between the STi and the Evo would be too close to call. PPP should move things up a gear also.

Even if Mitsubishi brought out the best performance car ever produced for half the price of the Evo I would not buy one of their cars again based on my experience with Mitsubishi UK. I know there will be good and bad dealers and maybe I was a bit unlucky, but mud sticks.

At the end of the day though, the STi is a fantastic car (anyone who thinks the ride is firm, take an Evo over a bumpy A-road!) and I would recommend it to anyone. I know lots of people will disagree with me and I would be interested to hear others views on the subject. At the end of the day it is all down to personal choice and I am, now, delighted with mine.

Best wishes, Steve.

P.S. If you would be interested in the FULL story (yawn) I can mail you a copy of my 4 page complaining letter to the MD of Mitsubishi UK outlining all the issues. By the way, he never replied (Quelle surprise).
Old 19 July 2002, 08:10 AM
jjk
Scooby Regular

Hi Steve

Many thanks for replying, much appreciated.
Would be interested in seeing your letter of complaint.
I have also had disgraceful service from a Mitsubishi dealer in the Reading area. I bought a new Westfield from them as they were for a while the only official distributor of Westfields in the South.
I had many problems with the car and had to take it back to the dealer about 10 times in a year.
The service manager was one of the worst I have had the experience to deal with.
Because of this I would never buy a car from this dealership again.
Good service is not much to expect when you are spending 1000's of pounds and no matter how nice a car is, if you get poor service then the shine and excitement of the car is soon numbed.
Be intersting to know if it is the same dealer but let me know offline.
Many thanks for this useful info as this gives me a real picture of ownership.
I must also say that my scooby ownership (touch wood) has been great and the service of 2 main dealers very good.

Happy motoring and look forward to your reply.

Jas
Old 19 July 2002, 09:51 AM
Stevethevet
Scooby Regular

Hi Jas,

Interesting to hear of your experience. I started a thread on the "Lancer Register" about Mitsubishi UK Level of Service, soon after I had the problem and had loads of replies saying how awful they were generally. So it's not just you and I that have had poor service.

My experience with my Subaru dealers (three and a half years) has been absolutely brilliant in every way and I would not hesitate to recommend them, and Subaru to anyone.

I will mail you a copy of the letter.

Cheers Steve.
Old 19 July 2002, 10:16 AM
jjk
Scooby Regular

Cheers Steve

YHM

jas
Old 20 July 2002, 11:34 AM
daz b
Scooby Regular

Angry

Steve, a friend of mine brought a ex-demo evo vi 2500 miles on clock at 3500 miles the clutch packed in the dealer said clutch a none warranty item ( they told him his driving must have been to "extreme".Friend offered to buy clutch if they fitted it for free,they refused "not there problem"

Clutch cost £1250 incl fitting

Friend cancelled 2 L200 pick ups (4 his business)

I cancelled evo and brought a scooby

I have had a few warranty claims on sub incl small clutch prob,all done no trouble

Dazz
Old 20 July 2002, 04:16 PM
Stevethevet
Scooby Regular

Daz b.

That's interesting. I've heard a lot of bad things about Mitsubishi UK poor customer service and as you know experienced it myself.

My experience so far with Subaru (three and a half years) has been fantastic. As I mentioned before I wouldn't touch a Mitsubishi again no matter how good the car. It's no good having a great car and loads of hassle keeping it on the road.

Steve.
Old 21 July 2002, 02:13 AM
daz b
Scooby Regular

Steve

can't agree with you more i would love a mits rs sprint 320bhp 26k etc but no chance,I think mit uk will lose alot of customers with there stance on customer relations

Dazz