Sponsored by:

football damage

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2002, 01:00 PM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

my wifes car was hit by a football whilst parked on the road outside our house, she saw it happen, just noticed a dent in the wing where it landed, can we do anything about it, shes already confiscated their football
mark
Old 09 July 2002, 01:33 PM
STi go fast
Scooby Regular

has it happened before? if not why not let it go. Its only a car but buy stealing the ball you are causing small children misery....is a bit of metal worth that?

As someone who has experienced recent loss i now feel that life should be a kinder, fairer place with compasion in abbundance.

just my thoughts

STi
Old 09 July 2002, 01:42 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

I burst a squash ball last night...I didnt feel I hit it THAT hard, but it just gave up on me...

So Im looking for a ball to replace it.. Will the football fit my MY01 raquet? What colour is it?

Seriously I doubt you can do anything. "prove" it was the ball caused the dint. Have the kiddies got insurance? Are the parents gonna hand over money on your "say so" that it was them? Theft of footballs is probably an offence, and you'll get into trouble with the rozzers...etc etc etc.
Old 09 July 2002, 01:45 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Angry

Not a lot you can do except for deflating the ball and giving it back. Contact dentmasters and it should cost about 50 quid to fix
Old 09 July 2002, 01:50 PM
ScoobyGrannyDriver
Scooby Regular

Angry

Compasion is all very well but why should car owners constantly have to bear the cost of other peoples irresponsibility?

These days too many children are allowed to do exactly what they like with no consideration of the consequences. I accept that in many areas there are simply not enough open spaces to allow for children to play football without risking damaging property, but that's not the car owners fault. People should be responsible for their own actions and if they cause damage to somebody else's property they should be financially accountable for it. In the case of children, parents should ensure their children are not playing, (or otherwise acting), in such a way as to cause a nuisance.

Just *my* thoughts,

SGD
Old 09 July 2002, 02:31 PM
Attu
Scooby Regular

If they live close to you go and see their parents, they may pay up or their house insurance may cover it ??

Andy
Old 09 July 2002, 02:35 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

must go to parents
if u did nothing - they wouldnt think twice of playing near parked cars again.

if they are not told whats wrong they will do it again.

people get off too lightly these days...
Old 09 July 2002, 02:56 PM
Scoobydick
Scooby Regular

I would kill anyone that disrespected my vehicle if it was in a designated parking area - but if you leave it on the road its tough. Too many of our roads are clogged up with cars on the side even though most of the owners have empty driveways and garages sitting there (not saying you do, but lots of others.) Kids will play football in quiet streets, they always have - if you leave your car there then accept it is at risk and find somewhere safe to keep it. Would you leave £20k cash ramped up at the side of the road - I don't think so. You will probably pay more for your insurance too because of this risk factor
Old 09 July 2002, 02:59 PM
Scoobydick
Scooby Regular

shes already confiscated their football
It would be a different story if vandals had "confiscated" your car stereo.

Life is full of annoyances but you have to learn tolerance. I nearly killed myself with worry a while ago so now I try not to give a monkey's about these things.
Old 09 July 2002, 03:41 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

"Accidently" kick it back to them & into the river

Or basically somewhere that it is impossible for them to get it back...

Do ensure that its not a ralway line or simillar place where to retrieve it they might be killed or seriously hurt

The law says on theft "the intention to deprive" & no puncturing it 'cos its criminal damage.
Old 09 July 2002, 03:51 PM
ChrisS/P1
Scooby Regular

Anyone know the Dentmasters URL. I've tried .co.uk(not registered) & .com (american company).

Old 09 July 2002, 04:18 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"I would kill anyone that disrespected my vehicle "

your vehicle is a hunk of junk!

do i now live in fear of death??

grow up
Old 09 July 2002, 04:22 PM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

i didnt think there was any thing you could do, they are three brothers , always causing trouble, they never play near their own home, always out of sight from their parents, karen had only moved her car so i could put the p1 straight in the garage when i got home from work, it had only been there 10 mins max, normally wouldnt worry but its only 3 months old
mark
Old 09 July 2002, 04:34 PM
Velcro_Pete
Scooby Regular

Angry

This ****'s me off, kids are a nightmare, these days and there folkes don't seem to care.

SO..

1. Cut one the little fingers off each one of them, they will have 9 more so it will not mess them up to much but, trust me it will never happen again.

2. Offer the football back at the cost of the repair to the car.

3. Advise the kids mar and par's, they are doing a bad job bring up there brats and make them take up Hocky or Rugby
Old 09 July 2002, 04:44 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Wink

If you came round a corner and there was your car on the left and a kid on the right, which one would you .........

Old 09 July 2002, 04:55 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

......set your devil dog on.
Old 09 July 2002, 05:07 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
and then which pet food company would you sell the resulting mess to?

what a dilema!!!!
Old 09 July 2002, 05:12 PM
yoza
BANNED

Unhappy

Annoying isnt it!
Youll have to see the parents I think,see how they take the appeal for compensation,dont hold your breath tho.
Ask the parents to keep thier kids away from your car.
Are you fully comp,whats your access...claim for vandal damage maybe.
Basically you are p155ing in the wind........good luck tho.
Old 09 July 2002, 06:12 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Whilst I'm with SGR on this I still think you could be on a loser.

IMO Karen shouldn't have confiscated the ball, as the kids have probably already told mom and dad she took it for no reason.

But as they play out of sight maybe their parents expect them to behave, so a calm and reasoned discussion may resolve things. Quietly explain the incident n ask them to pay for the damage.

Problem is if these kids are trouble what is their response going to be?

We live at the end of a cul de sac and had a similar situation. Although there is a huge amount of mowed open space around us kids from down the road decided to play outside and use the drive as goal! When their ball bounced off the windscreen of the Mondeo I grabbed it went along to the parents and quietly explained if it had hit the Scoobs aluminium bodywork they'd be looking at a grand to replace and repaint.

Can't say the parents were very receptive but they always play by a neighbours house now! Strangely they complain about it to me but never speak to the families involved

I just fail to understand why people let kids play in the street, inevitably they will not be so aware of dangers posed by traffic. And of course should one be injured by a car no one will blame the parents!

BTW A point worth noting is some Local Authority bye laws (e.g. Liverpool ) prohibit playing ball games in the street. I'm sure they don't do it near you do they Yoza
Old 09 July 2002, 06:17 PM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

i would of probably taken the footie at the spare of the moment thing, but thinking back i used to play footie in the road when i was ickle, never damaged anything thought ! well just speak to the parents and send them the bill. and give the footie back.
Old 09 July 2002, 07:02 PM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

Talking

Buy one of those 99p footballs from a garage and give that to them, couldnt dent anything with one of those poxy things.

Failing that, let the ball down and fill it with that cavity filler stuff that goes rock hard then leave the ball in the middle of the road for them to find, take a run up and break a foot !!

Old 09 July 2002, 08:38 PM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

thanks peeps
i think if she sees the kid near the car again she will strangle him, they are that annoying and she's got one hell of a temper
mark