Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BUYING THIS STI!!! ADVICE AND OPINIONS NEEDED, FROM JAPAN!!

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2023, 12:27 PM
zabbyy
Scooby Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default BUYING THIS STI!!! ADVICE AND OPINIONS NEEDED, FROM JAPAN!!

Hello everybody! Im new to this forum!
Hope everybody is enjoying and healthy.
I was raised and live in japan.
Im new to Subaru world and I have not much knowledge about subarus, I have been a 1jz guy pretty much my whole life.
Im going to buy a subaru as a daily driver and I have come across two options.
I registered to clubwrx before this and people were really nice there in giving advices and opinions.
I wanted to connect with more subaru fanatics so I came across this page as well.
Here are the two options that Im considering in my price range.

First is 2002 BLOBEYE STI
88K miles
almost stock other than maybe muffler and wheels
repainted in midnight-ish purple
timing belt has been changed around 50K miles.
I personally dont like the color but dont hate it either.
But Im loving the compartively low mileage and price.

The showroom said they bought it from a person not from any auto auction, they say that the previous owner said it has not accident history or repair history.
But theres no proof to that.

The O2 sensor is gone so engine check lamp is on but the showroom said they gonna do all the basic maintainence and inspection before they deliver me the car so not to worry about the check lamp.
No apparent oil leaks either

Heres the car

I havent test drove it cause its pretty far but Im willing to go test it if I make my mind up.

So now the second car
2006 Hawkeye STIaround 80k miles.

Mods:

boost guage
turbo timer
hks air intake
​other than that all stock
original paint
timing belt hasnt been changed yet.

Original paint.
Exterior has some defects as shown in pics.
But the main problem is RUST.
This car is from Northern side of Japan and some dude was just using it as a daily, not race driven, but he definitely didnt care about the rust AT ALL.
And Im surprised he didnt change the timing belt either on over 80K miles. It kinda tells me that he wasnt bothering about her health too much or maybe he didnt have the funds to do so, it could be anything.
Thats prolly why I might just get a very very good deal on the car in terms of price but what do you guys think about the car and rust and if its worth giving a chance and treating the rust.
Here is the car.

AND NOW THE RUST AND DEFECTS

Im going to put coilovers on in the future anyway but looking at the struts make me wanna throw up.

thats rear, the sway bars are rusty as well..

the middle part looks okay. Pics were sent by the showroom. Im just hoping its not on the body somewhere. Im not sure.

The steering rack is rustyyyy!

maybe engine member as well.

this is bottom front.

bottom front

that lil rust on the left front fender. It can be treated I guess.

The overfender on the rear quarter is broken.

a lil dent on the hood.

Thats about it for now.
To my knowledge, both cars werent race driven or rally driven. Im really confused. The price on both are pretty much the same. I might get a lower price on hawkeye cause of the rust honestly but It'll add up in fixing it anyway so both cars are around the same mark.

What do you guys say and think? Please share your opinions and advice or anything I should be careful about with these subarus. Thank you very much guys!!

Old 21 December 2023, 12:45 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

Hawk is rusty almost as mine jdm with 78k miles ,i bought mine with plenty of fresh mods- over 7k worth for less than 12k.
Could pay for those A-line hawk max 7k pounds. Will need rear sills cut and painting ,front fender paint front sills treatment to. Than new suspension parts. Tbh thats just temporary job it will need full underbody resto sooner than later=6k pounds or more.
Blob in my opinion is rusty to ,just look on battery clamp,if it's on top it's on the bottom to. Buy one with forged engine with no rust.
This are not best cars in oem spec.
I spent on mine 2.6k on rust and paint,1.7k coilovers over 1k for rear subframe with hardrace trailing arms,Perrin locking down kit,alk,roll centre,drop links etc.550 for fitting.
6.8k engine plus 1.5k few parts( aos,injectors ,coolant pipes ,baffle plate,thermal spacers etc)
600 intercooler, 1k rear brakes. Will need to pay yet 2.5k for my mechanic followed by new ecu around 1.8k and turbo with some additional parts(anti surge fuel pump assembly,turbo sensor) 4.5k fitted
Sold few parts for 3k
32k in total with car and it still needs full underbody resto 🤑

Last edited by JdmSti2006; 21 December 2023 at 05:15 PM.
Old 21 December 2023, 12:50 PM
zabbyy
Scooby Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JdmSti2006
Hawk is rusty almost as mine jdm with 78k miles ,i bought mine with plenty of fresh mods- over 7k worth for less than 12k.
Could pay for those A-line hawk max 7k pounds. Will need rear sills cut and painitng ,front fender paint front sills treatment to. Than new suspension parts. Tbh thats just temporary job it will need full underbody resto sooner than later=6k pounds or more.
Blob in my opinion is rusty to ,just look on battery clamp,if it's on top it's on the bottom to. Buy one with forged engine with no rust.
I am getting it wayyy less than 12k actually.
So you say No to both of these?
Whats the difference between normal sti hawk and A line sti hawk?
And which model has forged engine?
Thanks
Old 21 December 2023, 01:08 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by zabbyy
I am getting it wayyy less than 12k actually.
So you say No to both of these?
Whats the difference between normal sti hawk and A line sti hawk?
And which model has forged engine?
Thanks
Yes but mine had 2k brakes,new wheels for 1.5k,new coilovers 1k,deffis 700,roof scoop 600,engine mounts ,full rcm exhaust new 1.2k ,sway bars etc the one above has no mods.
Difference A line vs sti are; no rear spoiler ,has alcantara black seats with leather,has black centre console,dials etc
And I said 7k pounds in UK in Japan i would not take it for free.

Last edited by JdmSti2006; 21 December 2023 at 05:18 PM.
Old 24 December 2023, 08:20 AM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

The A-line STI is more of a gentlemen’s car hence the leather seats, low spoiler, black calipers etc. We call them a Spec D in the UK for discreet.
I would stay away from rusty models as the bills can go up quite quickly.

Are there any decent quality Bugeye STI models available? They have forged pistons and if the servicing has been good that should be a nice model for a daily.

05 STI would be good for more money being widetrack with probably the best factory drivetrain and auto DCCD ratio for a newage.
Old 24 December 2023, 09:54 AM
Flat4x4-again
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I wouldn't choose to buy a car with rust either, but at 20 years old there will be lots of rusted suspension to try to pull apart and replace.
As above, it has to be cheap?
Old 25 December 2023, 04:34 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

Condition is everything from my experience of owning 2 Subaru's recently, don't rush, take your time, look at a lot of cars before you actually decide to buy one as that will give you a good idea of what you can get for your money, what's your budget ?

You have the advantage of being in Japan, generally cars are in a lot better condition in Japan compared tro the UK due to your better overall climate, yes Japan does have areas where the climate is similar to the UK with snow, cold and rain so generally stay away from cars from those areas ..... Focus your search on cars in Japan that have come from the better areas weather wise, cars that are away from the coast where you get the salt in the air. and obviously the other areas where the weather isn't good all your round. Just remember some of these Subaru's are over 20 years old now, they'll have ongoing 20 year old related issues due to natural ageing of parts especially bushes, suspension and engine wear on the higher mileage cars. A lot of it is common sense, just basically don't rush, take your time, make sure it's been well serviced and looked after, the paint isn't great on Subaru's from what ive seen so inspect that as good as you can, good luck in your searches.
Old 26 December 2023, 09:48 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

If you are on a tight budget, can you afford to run and maintain a 20 year old poor condition car, which is already known to be a money pit?