Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

Blobeye to Hawkeye S12 WRC Replica build

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2021, 08:07 PM
gc8simon
Scooby Regular

Received 57 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Blobeye to Hawkeye S12 WRC Replica build

Evening people, been a member on here for a fair few years now, had numerous subarus throughout the years. Heres a couple some of
you might know me for;

aspen white bugeye

2015 Sti

Fast forward to the start of this year. I have my daily which is a levorg kitted with all the sti styling

i decided that it wasnt quite ticking all the boxes as a subaru, so i got on ebay and ended up buying this Blobeye Wrx, 65k miles, tein coilovers, k sport 8 pot calipers, mapped
to 350bhp. Perfect

Once the car was home, i then sat down to work out what my goal with it would be. I always preferred the hawkeyes and always wanted to build a wrc widebody car. Browsing on facebook i came across ABW WRC hawkeye wings and front bumper locally so i bought them the day after the car

Then i got thinking, if im going to hawkeye swap the front end im going to do it right and have all the front panel painted and wheel arches cleaned up and painted. So i started to tear the car down

Front end is all solid, tiny bits of surface rust here and there but no holes. So next was to get an engine beam and get the car moveable to be recovered into the bodyshop at my work to have some work done. Genuine subaru hawkeye front end purchased also

Front panel all installed and hawkeye front end panels test fitted

Then it was time for paint

Last edited by gc8simon; 17 September 2021 at 08:24 PM.

Popular Reply

20 February 2022, 09:50 AM
gc8simon
Scooby Regular

Morning everyone, finally got the keys to the new house last week and have being busy decorating etc but we have now moved in. Got the hawk moved in and also bought back an old car i use to own as the price was right. So we now have a Wrx-S prodrive hatch, Hawkeye project car, Levorg, and an XV. Im going to sell the levorg so i have some money spare for the cars and house. Anyway onto the photos

Hopefully have some updates for you all next month.
Old 17 September 2021, 08:41 PM
gc8simon
Scooby Regular

Once it was painted it was brought back home ready to rebuild

Recieved bits back from the powdercoaters;

Parcels started turning up for the car and the rebuild in the mean time

Time to bolt on some more bits

couple more bits turning up in the post

Then onto fitting new cambelt kit, timing cover bolt kit, fuji racing A/C delete crank pulley and bolt

Test fit of a few pieces i have recieved

new exhaust manifold turned up, ancillery hose kit and Hub overhaul kit

Then onto the test fit of the mishimoto fmic pipework

And finally upto today.. recieved my odds and sodds brackets back from powdercoaters, so got some new hardware and put the 4 loom covers/radiator mounts on the front panel.

Next jobs are clean and paint steering rack, then overhaul and reinstall with new bolts. Clean and paint driveshafts. Install radiator once ive ordered some slim line fans as the standard ones hit the RCM manifold.

Nearly run out of money now from what i had when i started but i wanted to document the build and share it with a forum. Cheers
The following 3 users liked this post by gc8simon:
Old 17 September 2021, 11:47 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by gc8simon
Once it was painted it was brought back home ready to rebuild

Recieved bits back from the powdercoaters;

Parcels started turning up for the car and the rebuild in the mean time

Time to bolt on some more bits

couple more bits turning up in the post

Then onto fitting new cambelt kit, timing cover bolt kit, fuji racing A/C delete crank pulley and bolt

Test fit of a few pieces i have recieved

new exhaust manifold turned up, ancillery hose kit and Hub overhaul kit

Then onto the test fit of the mishimoto fmic pipework

And finally upto today.. recieved my odds and sodds brackets back from powdercoaters, so got some new hardware and put the 4 loom covers/radiator mounts on the front panel.

Next jobs are clean and paint steering rack, then overhaul and reinstall with new bolts. Clean and paint driveshafts. Install radiator once ive ordered some slim line fans as the standard ones hit the RCM manifold.

Nearly run out of money now from what i had when i started but i wanted to document the build and share it with a forum. Cheers
Strong work!
I thought that might be a abw kit when commented on your other thread.
Love it 👍
Old 18 September 2021, 07:44 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

WRC front end but no rear end ???
Old 18 September 2021, 07:50 AM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

Looks fantastic mate, keep up the good work 👍
Old 18 September 2021, 07:50 AM
gc8simon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by domino46
WRC front end but no rear end ???
I havent got to the stage of bodywork yet, but it will be running the ABW rear arch kit.
Old 18 September 2021, 07:52 AM
gc8simon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johno01
Looks fantastic mate, keep up the good work 👍
Thanks mate im im no great rush with the car.
The following users liked this post:
Old 19 September 2021, 08:38 AM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts

Top work Simon. I love reading threads like this and it inspires me to do more on my own cars. I’ve always been a blob guy myself but the hawk WRC looks amazing! Really looking forward to see how it turns out!
Old 19 September 2021, 08:38 PM
gc8simon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by adam.pah
Top work Simon. I love reading threads like this and it inspires me to do more on my own cars. I’ve always been a blob guy myself but the hawk WRC looks amazing! Really looking forward to see how it turns out!
Thanks adam means alot, be worth doing to something like yours to increase the value of it, mine will never be worth a great deal. Well only to me as im 25 and this is the first car i can honestly say im building instead of wheels and and exhaust changes.

Managed to get abit more done this afternoon, got both hubs installed with new shocker bolts washers nuts, balljoint pinch bolts and wishbone cones

Installed the 24mm whiteline front arb and powdercoated brackets, still need to order new nuts and bolts and adjustable end links

Put the mishimoto rad and new rad support plates on but ive misplaced the rubbers for now. Also need to order some slim line fans as the plastic oems foul on the rcm exhaust manifold

Then chucked the wings an bumper back on just to clear some space for the time being, also offered up a stock sti wheel in the arches to see how lost they would look.

Thats all for now. Cheers
The following 2 users liked this post by gc8simon:
Old 20 September 2021, 10:04 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Wow, you're only 25 and already doing these kinds of things? Great things to come from you, I think!

I really like this build
The following 4 users liked this post by Henrik:
Old 26 September 2021, 08:59 PM
gc8simon
Scooby Regular

Thank you all for the kind words so far, done a few new bits this week.. got the steering rack all painted up, installed with powdercoated brackets and new hardware. Also new gaitors, rack ends and whiteline track rods. ( still fighting one side rackend)

Then chucked on the under plate brace with new hardware

Headlights are now installed (need to work on the loom conversion at a later date) Cant get enough of the front end. Bumper needs triming slightly for the fmic core and then i will get nicer fitment around the headlights to wings and need to sort some mesh for the lower opening

On with cleaning up and painting the driveshafts next, need to refill powersteering system, order down pipe gasket and fittings so i can refit the decat and finally order the mishimoto slimline fan kit. Thanks everyone.
The following 4 users liked this post by gc8simon:
Old 27 September 2021, 11:27 AM
grahamc
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

looks damn good!!
Old 28 September 2021, 05:06 AM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

white bug
project is lovely to
paint again whiteline bits to prevent rust
Old 09 October 2021, 06:24 PM
gc8simon
Scooby Regular

More progress to document on the build steering rack is all refurbed now and built back up with powersteering fluid filled. One driveshaft painted and refitted, whiteline adjustable droplinks fitted, abs sensors fitted (few bolts on order still at subaru) and then got the U frame fitted on with new hardware and the whiteline spacers(which turned out to be fitted wrong when i removed them)

Also new genuine hawkeye bonnet latch and bolts and refitted bonnet cable

Ticking off the jobs on the list now, getting somewhere with it. Until i start the interior or back end underneath at least. Cant wait to get these refurbished and fitted too

and just for reflection here was some photo collabs done the other night just to see how far its come so far

The following 3 users liked this post by gc8simon:
Old 09 October 2021, 06:43 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Some more good work, i always stick the wheels underneath too..... Just in case 👍
It shows your thinking properly in regards to working on a car supported with axle stands.
Cant wait to see the end result.
Old 09 October 2021, 06:54 PM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This looks epic and would love to do something similar with my Blob STi. I'd love to see a breakdown of costs. Having just spent £2500 replacing struts, springs, topmounts and all the associated crap that goes with doing that, all OEM, I can imagine this is several levels above that.
Old 09 October 2021, 07:13 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by paulmon
This looks epic and would love to do something similar with my Blob STi. I'd love to see a breakdown of costs. Having just spent £2500 replacing struts, springs, topmounts and all the associated crap that goes with doing that, all OEM, I can imagine this is several levels above that.
I see you joined in 2000 mate, what did you have back then? I’m very interested about the cars of the members of 20 years ago when this place was booming👍👍
Old 09 October 2021, 08:00 PM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johno01
I see you joined in 2000 mate, what did you have back then? I’m very interested about the cars of the members of 20 years ago when this place was booming👍👍
Started with this..

Then bought this in 2001 and did 19K in 12 months. One of, if not the best I car I have owned.

Then had a big break due to family and now have this which sits in the garage and gets pampered but still get my daily WRC style thrills with the GR!!

Old 05 December 2021, 04:34 PM
gc8simon
Scooby Regular

Time to bring this upto date, progress has now stopped due to buying a new house and christmas etc. Front end is all rebuilt now suspension wise minus a few little bits in the engine bay and the front brakes.

then put the wheels back on, wheeled it outside to wash off all the dust and see how it looked

Thats it for now, the new house comes with a double space garage so more room for the car and to work on it. Will update more in the new year.
Old 05 December 2021, 08:26 PM
RRP1STI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Looking good👍
Old 06 December 2021, 07:50 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts

Looks awesome mate! Hopefully it won't be on hold for too long.
Old 12 December 2021, 02:11 PM
Kaosone
Scooby Regular

Received 86 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by lockheed
Strong work!
I thought that might be a abw kit when commented on your other thread.
Love it 👍
Did you really need to quote a post with 50 pictures in it, just to make that statement

Originally Posted by adam.pah
Looks awesome mate! Hopefully it won't be on hold for too long.
That!!!

Last edited by Kaosone; 12 December 2021 at 02:41 PM.
Old 20 February 2022, 09:50 AM
gc8simon
Scooby Regular

Morning everyone, finally got the keys to the new house last week and have being busy decorating etc but we have now moved in. Got the hawk moved in and also bought back an old car i use to own as the price was right. So we now have a Wrx-S prodrive hatch, Hawkeye project car, Levorg, and an XV. Im going to sell the levorg so i have some money spare for the cars and house. Anyway onto the photos

Hopefully have some updates for you all next month.
The following 10 users liked this post by gc8simon:
AbbasSTI, adam.pah, Dave Y, DazzlerRB5, Henrik, johno01, Jonny Cut Corners, Kaosone, Russell38, welder029 and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 20 February 2022, 04:30 PM
RRP1STI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Looking good!👌
Old 05 March 2022, 08:03 PM
gc8simon
Scooby Regular

Finally on with some progress shots

as you can see full back end is stripped and i am impressed with how clean it is. No holes as of yet, still need to drop the gearbox cradle off but need to get something to support the gearbox with, then its onto hours of wire wheeling and getting stuff ready for powdercoat
Old 05 March 2022, 09:30 PM
Kaosone
Scooby Regular

I keep threatening to do this to mine, the fact that while it’s apart you might of well do all of it makes it expensive & time consuming.

Are you am going all out removing rust, seal & paint the underside & protect. Powdercoat subframes, lateral & trailing arms, diff cradle, gearbox brace etc & new bushes all round?
Old 06 March 2022, 08:40 AM
gc8simon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kaosone
I keep threatening to do this to mine, the fact that while it’s apart you might of well do all of it makes it expensive & time consuming.

Are you am going all out removing rust, seal & paint the underside & protect. Powdercoat subframes, lateral & trailing arms, diff cradle, gearbox brace etc & new bushes all round?
Yes i know what you mean, luckily when i bought this i said i was in no rush for it to be done and i have other means of transport. And yes the underneath is all going to be taken back, rust treated, primed then tinted raptor paint (same as the front arches - 02C) then most worn out parts will be bought new oem, probably all new bolts and fixtures same as the front. Everything will get powdercoated but at the moment very tempted to buy the Sti pink lateral pillowball arms and trailing arm kit. If i do it will set me back another £1000 otherwise il press all bushings out and just get the standards powdercoated and rebushed.
Old 06 March 2022, 08:45 AM
Kaosone
Scooby Regular

A grand on arms

Aren’t the WhiteLine ones half that?
Old 06 March 2022, 10:58 AM
gc8simon
Scooby Regular

Yes something like that, or there are hardrace arms etc. Havent made my mind up yet, ive always wanted the Sti labelled arms but even just to rebush oem arms means i can spend a grand somewhere else, on a CAE shifter perhaps.
Old 19 June 2022, 08:45 PM
gc8simon
Scooby Regular

Figured it was probably time i add some upto date photos of the project, spent countless hours chasing out rust but i have now got both rear arches bare metal'd rust killed and primed(they were solid) and chassis legs done;

Then ive picked up a group A replica exhaust and a couple of other bits here and there, working on meshing the lower bumper grill and then chucked on the Wrc inspired pieces i have so far to boost my motivation;

I have ordered a tubular rear subframe and my new wheels which may turn up this coming week. Lots more to do and lots more money required but thats it upto date for now. Cheers
The following 5 users liked this post by gc8simon:

Quick Reply: Blobeye to Hawkeye S12 WRC Replica build