Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

cant remember if i done one before,,, V3 STI Impreza

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2010, 10:26 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant remember if i done one before,,, V3 STI Impreza

ok, never bothered with doing one for my car before but im now planning on making it interesting rather than just changing what i felt needing doing,,,,, so its sort of gonna be a project im hoping ,,,,, anyway here goes

first of all a few years ago i was planning to go to the ring with my cossie

but someone else prefered the car and decided to steal it instead so that year i had to take my BMW run about,,,,, though i did spend a good day with XRT-Si "ring prepping it for the trip

and what sexy sticker they was and worked well as the car made it there 25 laps and back !!!

though ill admit with *cough* 160k miles on the clock it was never gonna make it back the following year SO as i LOVED my BMW and cause it cost **** all to run i decided to look for a quicker car to take to the Ring,,,,,,,,,, and so the hunt for a BMW M3 was on !!!

i looked at 3 of them,,, didnt feel like a cossie, didnt feel "fun" and,,,,,, the price of parts scared me if im honest so the missus sugested we go take a look at the impreza about 5 miles from the M3 Evo i test drove,,,,,,, and ill admit they are ****ing ugly and had no interst in them,,,,, but you know have to keep the wife sweet and all that,,,, so we took a drive to have a look at this motor

now i told her that this is not a car we are gonna buy, its over what i would spend on a impreza, its a car trader and its JUST to get a idea what they feel like ( basically telling her in a polite way we aint getting a ****ing chavs car !!!)

i took it for a test drive,,,,,,, WORST THING I EVER DONE,,,,,, cause i LOVED it, best car i EVER drove,,, was like a playstation just ****ING LOVED IT,,,,,, so,,,,, without even telliing the missus i came back from the test drive,,,,,,, and paid for it on my debit card with out even knowing ANYTHING about them

turns out its a V3 Impreza STI which has forged engine as standard, 300ish bhp and,,,,,,, oh yeah insurance is 1300 quid a year !!!!!,,,,,,

advice to anyone,,,,, GET A INSURANCE QUOTE BEFORE PAYING FOR A CAR,,,,, Better yet leave just a deposit rather than pay for it in full like a **** i am !!!

so with the new impreza..... a few weeks later it was time to take it to germany to test the car out

it done well if im honest and apart from it being a bit "understeery,,,,,pmsl" i loved it,,, even let Jim Galbally have a lap of the ring in the shed too

He also loved it aswell,,,,,

now time to come home

just just needed a few tweeks like maybe A spare set of wheels,,,, but just the one set pmsl

notice i love these wheels

and erm,,,, something doing with that rhino horn on the bonnet but ill get to the nose later

OK as now i decided to keep the car rather than sell it ( ive yet to actually sell a ****ing car and im 31 now pmsl) i thought i would "mod" the suspension a little bit

basic list is HKS coilovers with adjustable top mounts and pillowball bearings, powerflex bushes EVERYWHERE, wjiteline front and rear roll bars, rear alloy drop links, anti lift kit, steering rack bushes, STI adjustable rear tie bars, and front rose joint drop links,,,,

basically i managed to lower it 25 mill pmsl and hopefully sort that understeer perhaps,,,,,

oh and another set of wheels too,,, wanted 17's for the road and didnt wanna risk my RL7's pmsl

and there it is,,,, ok prob a went a little far on the handling but,,,,,, im happy for now, few more months and its ring time !!!

THEN on a cold febuary morning i woke up to this

OH GOODIE GOODIE GOOODIE GOODIE GOODIE,,,,,,, subaru in the snow,,,,,,, its home turf,,,,,, FINALLY all this stupid money on fuel will pay off,,,,,, i wil DRIVE my subaru in the snow,,,,, my 4wd will save me and i will LAUGH and the people and there 2wd motors,,,,,, I AM THE KING OF THE ROAD !!!!

DOH !!!!

damage aint TOO bad,,, honest pmsl

NOW I CAN LOOSE THAT ****ING RHINO HORN !!!

may aswell get a carbon bonnet as i need a new one i guess

now for the damage

apart from needing new pullys, cam covers, rad, bumper, bonnet, headlamp, slam panel, front panel, and a few other tweeks,,,,,, hardly any damage in the crash pmsl

after a few months the car was done

so i thought i would celebrate the car being finished on time for the ring,,,,,,

with ANOTHER set of wheels,,,,,

and off to germany we go D:

well we got to dover and on the ferry,,,,,,,, all is well........and erm,,,,,,,

and then we get off the ferry and erm

then,, we get going again

until ANOTHER ford !!!

FINALLY,,,,, we make it into germany,, time for a meal

then a few laps is on order

done 2 laps of the ring,,,, first one was told no bonnet pins so had to borrow gaffer tape to "hide" the pins pmsl,,,,, though all we had was grey pmsl

then after the 3rd lap the box was whining and so slowed down ( which im ****ing slow anyway so,,,, this was REAL slow pmsl) and discovered the car was either low on oil or,,,,,, well lets hope it was low on oil and but just incase lets not go back on the ring

clean up all the under neath of it ( and **** me there was loads) refill with some oil ( that i happened to bring with me,,,,, 5 litres aswell but just needed 2 for a top up)and leave overnight,,,,,,, morning comes and NO OIL LEAKS,,,, take it for another lap,,,,,,,, whining box when giving it beans so sod anymore laps this trip, still got the drive home to do,,,,,,,,,

so time to just take a look at others having fun

we all drove home..... though i used another 3 litres of gearbox oil on the journey pmsl

anyway i drove around with it for about another 10k which it whining when driven hard and apart from needing 1 litre every 1k miles it was fine pmsl

WELL now the clutch was slipping,, time for a box change at the same time and ive got a few weeks till the ring so,,,,, well they dont call me lastmin.com for nothing

time for a quick clutch change,,,,and a gearbox

always buy a car with service history,,,, i have a invoice for 1200 quid for a twin plated clutch fitted,,,,,,

guess it was fitted in the boot or something

well the car is finished,,, the morning before i leave for the ring the,,,, well wont go into it but the car dont go in the end !

NOW 3 weeks after a mate of mine is given the keys to my car,,,, then i get the car back the following day with no 3rd gear pmsl

Now this is where i am at right now

gearbox rebuilding,,, my NEW project pmsl

and this is how the car looks at the min

Old 22 October 2010, 11:29 PM
chris_wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what a story gd luck with the box build keep us posted