Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008+ WRX STI - worth considering? Is it any good?

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2023, 05:29 PM
300bhp/ton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008+ WRX STI - worth considering? Is it any good?

Hi folks, not posted on here for a long time. Used to have a lovely 1999 Turbo 2000 that I unfortunately had to sell a few years back. Have a bit of a hankering for another Impreza as 4 doors and 4 seats would be most handy.

Now I wasn't a fan of the hatchback shape when it came out, not for any real reason other than I've never really been a hatchback sort of person, always had coupes or saloon cars.

But I think I've mellowed and they really appeal now. Prices seem good too, although oddly search engines on places like Autotrader make them hard to find. People also seem to be asking about the same money for the WRX as they are for the WRX STI.

I'm primarily thinking of the WRX STI unless there is a good reason to consider the lower powered WRX? I certainly prefer the wide body styling of the STI (which I think the WRX gained later on). But also like the idea of more power, DCCD and other STI unique bits.

But what are they like? I've never been in one (need to see if I can grab a test drive). Some reviews say they are soft and lean too much? Is this true or just media drivel? Did the WRX STI get different suspension in 2010/11 or was that only the WRX?

Anything to look out for specifically on these? Or are they one to avoid? I see a thread at the top of the page about failed engines. Is this still a concern considering all of these cars are around 10 years or more old these days? I admit my Turbo 2000 ended up with a rebuild and despite having owned classic cars and many a Land Rover, the Impreza was the most costly vehicle I've owned!

Any other views on these? Thanks.
Old 22 July 2023, 07:18 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Our friends son (used to baby sit him from 2 years old so known him most of his life) has a wrx hatch but I’ve not driven it (he has driven our blobeye which is why he always wanted an Impreza) The wrx is slower on paper, but more torque so real world probably doesn’t notice so much but it’s supposed to be around a second slower to 62 and around 15mph slower top end than a new age wrx, so an STI will feel and be much quicker.

Trouble with the 2.5 is weak pistons around the ringland area and head gasket failure due to head bolts stretching. If you go for a uk car I would be looking at one that has already had a forged rebuild by a reputable engine builder.
Either way a uk car is 6 or 7 hundred quid a year to tax (I’ve lost track but a lot)

other option if you want a hatch sti is to get a jdm import. These have much stronger 2 litre twin scroll engine. They don’t have the burble of a uk car as they have equal length headers.
A jdm will more often than not be listed as plg so tax is much lower at around £280 a year, but you have to do your homework because some are not and are the same as a uk one to tax.
flip side is the probability if you pay the lower tax the car is not ulez exempt
Old 24 July 2023, 08:53 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

not strictly true as the 03> JDM 2.0 cars use the exact same Hyperpeutic process to manufacture the pistons and they ultimately do fail due the the brittle nature this results in.........

many cars are perfectly fine but would always undertake an AFR check as the std maps can be too close to Det....
Old 24 July 2023, 12:28 PM
300bhp/ton
Scooby Regular

Doesn't sound overly reassuring tbh. Not against a JDM import, but there doesn't look to be hundreds of these cars available. So availability is somewhat limited. For example, if I have the filter correct, there are only 10 cars listed Nationally on Autotrader....

5 of the 10 are under £10k.

Are they all really ticking time-bombs? I don't really plan on buying a car in need of a major engine rebuild.
Old 24 July 2023, 12:46 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

they never really sold loads to begin with.

with a standard engine youd always have that niggle in the back of your head i reckon. there should be plenty available with forged rebuilds now - although again you take your chances with a rebuild and who done it. Tax is the big put off now for most people, although its always been high tax.

ive had mine (09 STI 330S) now coming close to 8yrs and still love it as much as the day i bought it - which coincidently was £10k back then - i bought mine forged and still it let go few years back although that was running a fair bit more bhp than standard. many a time ive considered changing but literally cant find anything for same value for money that would be in same bracket for enjoyment.
Old 24 July 2023, 01:16 PM
Andycat
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

yes they are all pretty much ticking time bombs (tho not 100% all go) but yes

ask yourself this... can you or would you be ok spending say £4-8k on the engine if it goes ??
Old 24 July 2023, 03:43 PM
300bhp/ton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andycat
ask yourself this... can you or would you be ok spending say £4-8k on the engine if it goes ??
Not really, if it was a £50k exotica or a 40 year old classic you'd probably accept it part of the course. But on an £8k 'reliable' Japanese runabout. an £8k engine rebuild sounds dreadful value for money.

Trending Topics

Old 24 July 2023, 03:49 PM
Andycat
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It may not of course but its why Ive never had a 2.5 (Ive had six 2.0 litre ones) cant justify the big cost if goes wrong
Old 24 July 2023, 06:30 PM
300bhp/ton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andycat
It may not of course but its why Ive never had a 2.5 (Ive had six 2.0 litre ones) cant justify the big cost if goes wrong
As said, my Turbo 2000 needed a rebuild. Out of the blue. Well looked after car, only ever ran it on superunleaded and a standard engine. Out of all the cars I've owned it was sadly the most costly one overall.

Might have to go back to the drawing board on this. I'm not exactly risk adverse, but I don't really have any want to buy a vehicle with the expectation of an engine rebuild. The rebuilds just aren't good value for money either. You can buy a near 500bhp crate engine V8 from GM for less money with a warranty. A shame as I'd really convinced myself one of these would be a good fit otherwise.
Old 24 July 2023, 06:36 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

You can buy a crate subaru engine also if you want being the RA block will also have revised pistons

https://rogerclarkmotorsport.co.uk/p...sembly-type-ra

Then as @stockcar highlights just get it mapped accordingly as std map can run lean
Old 25 July 2023, 08:50 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Gambit
You can buy a crate subaru engine also if you want being the RA block will also have revised pistons

Then as @stockcar highlights just get it mapped accordingly as std map can run lean
ICP have the same for £2,400.
That would be my plan if my engine ever let go. It would still cost circa £5k (if not more) to remove the engine, skim the heads, change all gaskets, fluids, labour to fit new etc.
Old 25 July 2023, 09:39 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by fpan
ICP have the same for £2,400.
That would be my plan if my engine ever let go. It would still cost circa £5k (if not more) to remove the engine, skim the heads, change all gaskets, fluids, labour to fit new etc.
^ this... I would guesstimate that a set of forged pistons + rods + crank and rebore of the std block isn't going to be any more expensive than that brand new short block, sadly, so still ends up costing a lot of money.
Old 25 July 2023, 10:24 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

and ultimately on average I bet there is a reduced % that actually ever fail, whether 2.0 or 2.5...........
BMW M cars snap cranks probably just as often but people don't seem to demonise them in the same way??
The following 3 users liked this post by stockcar:
Old 25 July 2023, 11:19 AM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

5-6k for fresh rebuild is nothing comparing to other brands gearboxes-gtr for example or engines builds-m5 or AMG engine.
We just spent 4k swapping ford 1.6 ecoboost used engine. Yes all in with new clutch,fluids,used turbo etc.
And another 500-2nd time -for electric power steering rack .

Old 25 July 2023, 11:25 AM
300bhp/ton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stockcar
and ultimately on average I bet there is a reduced % that actually ever fail, whether 2.0 or 2.5...........
BMW M cars snap cranks probably just as often but people don't seem to demonise them in the same way??
Don't know about BMW M cars. Not interested in them either if honest. I think the issue here is, on a £7000-10,000 car. A £5-8k+ engine rebuild is a huge percentage of the value of the vehicle. And not being mean, the Impreza is not exactly an exotic car, it is a bit humdrum as a rapid daily with all weather capability. I have no want to buy it as a 'toy'. I'd be looking at it as an affordable 4 door 4 seater car I could use any day of the week. Not trying to be down on the marque or model, wouldn't be posting here if I had no interest in them. But having owned a Turbo 2000, a car I lusted after for years. It was great when you were on it. But completely boring and uneventful if driving normally, to the point of being boring. I have no greater expectations from latter models. I own other cars I'd much rather pump money into for engine rebuilds.
Old 25 July 2023, 11:26 AM
300bhp/ton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JdmSti2006
5-6k for fresh rebuild is nothing comparing to other brands gearboxes-gtr for example or engines builds-m5 or AMG engine.
Not really apple to apples though. What GTR's can you buy for under £10k and style themselves as a brand built around reliability the way Subaru do.
Old 25 July 2023, 11:28 AM
300bhp/ton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gambit

Seems like an awful lot of money still. And that is just a short engine, how much is it really going to cost to get it built and fitted to the vehicle?
Old 25 July 2023, 11:28 AM
300bhp/ton
Scooby Regular

Aside from the engine. Nobody has mentioned suspension or handling. Was there a change in the 2010 timeframe here or are they all soft and leany as the media suggests?
Old 25 July 2023, 12:08 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Not really apple to apples though. What GTR's can you buy for under £10k and style themselves as a brand built around reliability the way Subaru do.
35k gtr ,gearbox will cost You over 15k to rebuild add engine to it
just front bbk will cost You 4k
5k is just a laugh for fresh sti engine
way easier to swallow sti engine build costs thats it
Yes hatch suspension is soft,would prefer to add 8k for latest sti shape,comparing hatch suspension to newage it's like comparing apples to oranges same for 2.5l vs 2.0l

Last edited by JdmSti2006; 25 July 2023 at 12:13 PM.
Old 26 July 2023, 08:17 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Aside from the engine. Nobody has mentioned suspension or handling. Was there a change in the 2010 timeframe here or are they all soft and leany as the media suggests?
Anything you don't like about the suspension is easily rectified with bushing upgrades.....or you buy a 20th Anniversary or Spec C version, both of which handle just fine. 2010 saw a revision in the front control arm to a rear pillowball and spec c shocks all round on UK model.
Old 27 July 2023, 04:57 PM
cjmc
Scooby Newbie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 20th and absolutely love it... I have always been a hatchback man after owning a bunch of them R5, numerous golfs, Fiesta RST, Megane, etc ... this is the most fun i have had in a car, sticks to the road like glue and power response is impressive - apart from an uprated fuel pump mine is standard - 320 bhp from the last power run... I have been on country roads with motorbikes struggle to pull away ... ok it does not have the burble but to be honest I am not fussed about that, i drove it from Oxfordshire to Edinburgh and was comfy, good fun, and is VERY quiet on the inside... its a quieter motor but sings when you put your foot down... as a daily i would have no issue with it, you would certainly rack up some Nectar points at Esso if it was though
Old 30 July 2023, 11:45 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

Seen the comments above , a gtr rebuilt box is around 14k and engine going forged with rods is the same sort of cost , plus they are more fiddly to work on , had to change cooling fans , it was a front end off took me two days , I wish it was as straight forward as my foz , 20 minutes to swap out fans , a scooby gives a lot more feed back than the gtr , they are great cars super fast , but if I could only have one car it would still be a 2.5 Fsti , just had the engine fully forged a mere 6k v a gtr at ouch money , the elh give better top end and a bit more power v uelh , you loose most of the noise but a lot of fun 👍😁
The following 2 users liked this post by Vxr2010: