ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Noticed increase in clean classic's being broken

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2023, 01:26 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Noticed increase in clean classic's being broken

Keep seeing nice classic's up for breaking, all seem to have good mot history below average miles, seems crazy, thought we'd gone past this now. Even seen a Type R being broken for parts.

Old 21 May 2023, 04:31 PM
Flat4x4-again
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Knackered engines or terminal rust ?
Old 21 May 2023, 10:03 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Nope old mots have no mention of rust, both looked mint and were imports. The engine had just been sold forged.

Originally Posted by Flat4x4-again
Knackered engines or terminal rust ?
Old 22 May 2023, 08:51 AM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

It has to be something that's not cost effective to put right, in this day and age just because a car has a good MOT history it doesn't mean a lot imo as the last UK Sti hatch that i bought should never have passed its previous MOT with several worn bushes, worn ball joints and the track rod ends needed replacing plus a few other things etc, it had only just passed its MOT with no advisories. That lot cost around £1700 to put right.

Another one i viewed prior to that had bad rust on the underside, part of the seam needed welding back together yet that had not long before passed its MOT with flying colours.

Last edited by The Joshua Tree; 22 May 2023 at 08:53 AM.
Old 22 May 2023, 11:57 AM
Flat4x4-again
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by The Joshua Tree
It has to be something that's not cost effective to put right, in this day and age just because a car has a good MOT history it doesn't mean a lot imo as the last UK Sti hatch that i bought should never have passed its previous MOT with several worn bushes, worn ball joints and the track rod ends needed replacing plus a few other things etc, it had only just passed its MOT with no advisories. That lot cost around £1700 to put right.

Another one i viewed prior to that had bad rust on the underside, part of the seam needed welding back together yet that had not long before passed its MOT with flying colours.
With the way that used car prices are these days, any small trader with garage links is going to tart saleable cars up for resale. Unless there's a lot of cost involved when they'll cut their losses and spend time in something else ?
Old 22 May 2023, 12:18 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

I guess so, just crazy because they both looked mint like they'd been well looked after.

Of course underneath could have been different, although both being broken by same guys, so I guessed they had bought them simply to break.

Saying that I've seen a few of the shells being sold after being described as rust free. So I'm that case wouldn't make sense. I will keep an eye on these ones I've seen see if shells go up forsale after.

Originally Posted by The Joshua Tree

Old 22 May 2023, 04:37 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Supply and demand jaygsi
The problem = a lot of parts are no longer being made for these cars, prices of second hand parts increasing, most people that want one of these cars already has one.
The solution = to keep existing cars on the road and maximise profits it’s simply more profitable to break them and sell them as parts. It’s a shame but that’s the way it is.
Old 23 May 2023, 04:32 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

I don't know, this guy is breaking his impreza but wants £4500 for a shell thats had new sills are rear strut turrets. But has 6 speed non dccd for £3500 and modified engine. Looks a nice car only has 85,000 on the cloak.