Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2023, 03:52 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts
Default AVCS banjo bolt

Hi All,

I recently had a P0011 on my 2007 STi.
I took out the AVCS oil control valve on the passenger side and cleaned it, it was slightly stuck...just.
Leading up to this happening, I had quite a lot of oil go into my catch can, may have been a bit overfilled.
It gave the worst engine idle you could imagine, basically was running on 2 cylinders, anyway....
Reset my CEL / code with my PSi3, CEL out, no codes, happy days.

I am just wondering why? Why did the oil control solenoid hang up? Rebuilt only 20k miles ago, and very regular oil changes etc, perhaps every 4k miles on average.
Reading into it, the banjo bolts for the oil feed lines have mesh type filters that can get clogged.

Thing is, to remove my banjo bolt and clean the filter, it looks like what I think is the fuel rail is directly on top of the banjo bolt.

Stolen from the internet, but how would I get this bolt out without it being a hell of a job?

Old 25 March 2023, 04:16 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

in general the filters that cause any issue are the ones directly into the solenoid housing....
Old 25 March 2023, 04:17 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

just to add with good quality / clean / regular oil then its highly unlikely for the filters to cause an issue or get clogged
Old 25 March 2023, 05:51 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The Subaru Bulletin recommends oil changes every 3250 miles on a twinscroll due to the turbo banjo bolt filters clogging.
You have been warned.
Old 25 March 2023, 05:51 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Yeah I was also wondering that. I'd hope it's clean inside the engine, I really do look after it.
Although the car doesn't have a CEL or codes anymore, it does go quite heavy on the fuel. Sometimes a hot idle can feel just a tiny bit lumpy. Perhaps my front O2 sensor has had it's day, really bad emissions the other day at MOT, the tester said it was showing unburnt fuel, but wouldn't that throw a CEL?
He thinks I could be running pretty rich....
Or perhaps the after cat sensor.

Last edited by Hawkeye D; 25 March 2023 at 05:54 PM.
Old 25 March 2023, 07:30 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D
Yeah I was also wondering that. I'd hope it's clean inside the engine, I really do look after it.
Although the car doesn't have a CEL or codes anymore, it does go quite heavy on the fuel. Sometimes a hot idle can feel just a tiny bit lumpy. Perhaps my front O2 sensor has had it's day, really bad emissions the other day at MOT, the tester said it was showing unburnt fuel, but wouldn't that throw a CEL?
Try an idle relearn first.
Old 25 March 2023, 07:33 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D
Try an idle relearn first.
Old 26 March 2023, 06:18 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

How do you do an idle relearn?
Disconnect the battery for 30 mins?
Or reset the ECU - I can do this via my PSI3 and that's what I did when I cleaned out the oil control valve....

Just remembered something, last year I had this emissions issue at MOT, Len tried a front O2 sensor, and it made no difference, nor did a new MAF.
Bob Rawle was called in in the end to tweak it....I'm stumped.

I'm wondering if my turbo is on it's way, but no smoke, no whining etc....it pulls well, but bottom end performance just isn't like it used to be, then 3500 - 4000 RPM it pulls hard.
The exhaust gets so hot, after switching off it ticks like mad for ages. I can even hear a slight crackling from the rear box, and the exhaust tip is so hot.....maybe they're all like it, but it's not something I'm used to, only since I've had this running issue, could be lean / rich causing the extra heat.

Last edited by Hawkeye D; 26 March 2023 at 06:24 AM.