Sponsored by:

Incorrectly Registered Import

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2023, 09:16 PM
Chriskarl22
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Incorrectly Registered Import

Hi Guys, Ive been a member here for years through my ownership of a few Imprezas and have always found what I needed from a search so this is my first post.
My latest car is a Widetrack Crystal Grey 05 STI type UK, now here where it gets odd, Its actually a Maltese import (imported from new) these were offered out for cheap at the time and as Malta isnt big enough to get its own model but drives RHD the same as the UK so they got type UK's with a few differences (DCCD was an option not factory, No sigma alarm, less underseal). Now mine was incorrectly registered upon entry to the UK as a WRX, whereas my previous STI type UK very specifically said STI when checked. The vin is GDB, it is STI through and through and I have all the import documents. My issue is the DVLA wont adjust the V5 without proof from Subaru of the model which I cannot get, I have emailed Subaru UK and rang 2 dealers, no reply to the email and the 2 dealers basically just said no. Does anyone work in a Subaru Dealership or know someone who does who can help me and print out a headed sheet of the full spec? I have found vin decoders online which show everything correctly but I cannot see the DVLA accepting that.
Any help would be greatly appreciated and I am happy to pay a reasonable amount if someone does work in a main dealer and can help me.

Thanks
Chris
Old 10 March 2023, 10:20 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

DVLA have registered my Gen5 Legacy as a Gen4, I've been told to write to them and return the log book and they will rectify the mistake...I would send all the docs, including the incorrect V5 to them by recorded post.
Worse case scenario, they will just return everything and say no?
Old 10 March 2023, 01:05 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

You could try Graham Hollidge or Gary at Proven Subaru in Haslemere.
They may be able to get something from Subaru Head Office.
They could perhaps supply you with something on letter headed paper etc, but from experience, DVLA ideally like something from a dealer, and head office too.

I get this at work sometimes, different to your case, but similar :
I work for a different brand, but some of our demos show as incorrect models on V5's. It's where the brand have supplied incorrect DVLA codes to DVLA.
I have to get letters from head office confirming what the vehicles were built as (confirming the full chassis number also), and put that with a letter from my dealership requesting the amendment, and send to DVLA with the original V5. Can then take 4 weeks for the amended V5 to arrive.

Last edited by Hawkeye D; 10 March 2023 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11 March 2023, 03:27 PM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A few years go I had a similar issue. 1996 Classic import registered as a 53 plate. Rang them and they said to return the logbook with a letter and they soon rectified it with the correct info.
Old 11 March 2023, 05:47 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Same here, i had a 1994 WRX it had been registered as a 2.0 GL, guess for cheaper insurance. I rang DVLA and just sent log book in and they changed it no evidence needed.

Originally Posted by imprezagaz
A few years go I had a similar issue. 1996 Classic import registered as a 53 plate. Rang them and they said to return the logbook with a letter and they soon rectified it with the correct info.