new forged engine …. Pre map run-in help

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2022, 11:25 AM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Default new forged engine …. Pre map run-in help

Morning all ,
so car has been in for a week and I’m just thinking about when it comes back for me to run in before going to Andy f for map ?
builder is going to change oil after 10 miles and again after 70-80 before a third oil and filter change then I have to do circa 700 before then going back for another filter and oil change and fitting injectors and then a steady drive to Andy.
in the meantime tho it will have a bigger turbo , air intake , turbo intake , pump etc etc so will it be safe and how do you drive it ? Like miss daisy or like you stole it.
when I picked up the car from new it had done 23 miles and dealer said drive steady for 1000 miles , mechanic stuck his head around corner and said give it the beans from now til home 250 miles and I did and it has never used a drop of oil !! Not sure I fancy it tho having speak 6k on engine !
many help from people in the know or have had similar experiences.
there is no hope of a run in map because of distances etc. injectors will be kept out though until just before map.

thanks all.
Old 29 November 2022, 01:50 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

The only thing your running in is the rings, the mechanic was right. Now the other changes aren't going to agree with running in as such so if you can run it in before the turbo etc is fitted all the better.
Old 29 November 2022, 02:49 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Ideally you would have the mapper install a running in map, which limits boost and rPM as well as ensure that fuelling etc is all correct for the new motor. Then it is a case of just driving it normally within those parameters, new engines need a bit of boost which your map should allow, get some varied load on it, A/B roads with some hills are good, I.e don’t drive 700 miles on the motorway cruising at 3k. I did just under 700 miles iirc.
Old 29 November 2022, 03:08 PM
Danjo
Scooby Regular

Received 226 Likes on 128 Posts

Rings bed in a lot faster than people think, your builder would have done most of the “important” work when it comes to bedding the rings in on the initial test drives. It’s just a case of driving it normally. It should have a running in map limiting boost as it won’t be fully mapped for power. The 1000 mile break in period is more about giving the engine a number of heat cycles, making sure there’s no leaks and everything is well before mapping it at full boost.

As has been said, avoid running for long periods at constant revs as this can end up glazing the bores on a fresh build.

Last edited by Danjo; 29 November 2022 at 05:16 PM.
Old 29 November 2022, 03:25 PM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys , useful info. As said in post a running in map is not going to happen as builder and mapper are a big distance apart. So will it be safe to drive around with everything apart from injectors in before map. Builder wasn’t over worried as long as it’s not hammered. But didnt really want to fit injectors before map but it has to be and he said just keep it off boost after leaving him to drive to mapper I only have twisty b roads around me with hills , bends etc not a motorway for about 50 miles lol
im guessing with bigger air intake and turbo the car is going to run fairly rough or will the ecu compensate
Old 29 November 2022, 04:09 PM
Danjo
Scooby Regular

Received 226 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by 4evascoob
Thanks guys , useful info. As said in post a running in map is not going to happen as builder and mapper are a big distance apart. So will it be safe to drive around with everything apart from injectors in before map. Builder wasn’t over worried as long as it’s not hammered. But didnt really want to fit injectors before map but it has to be and he said just keep it off boost after leaving him to drive to mapper I only have twisty b roads around me with hills , bends etc not a motorway for about 50 miles lol
im guessing with bigger air intake and turbo the car is going to run fairly rough or will the ecu compensate
You don’t want to be running around on injectors that haven’t been mapped to suit, fuelling will be well off and it could wash the bores, something you don’t want.
Old 29 November 2022, 05:05 PM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

Yes the plan is to run in , then oil / filter change and fit injectors then drive to get mapped hopefully same day fingers crossed.

Trending Topics

Old 29 November 2022, 05:07 PM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

Or the alternative is to get it built , drive to mapper and get it done in one go ? Or is that to crazy after the initial 20 -30 miles oil change , it’s a 3 hour drive to Andy
Old 29 November 2022, 06:39 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

What oil you goanna run it in on, its an important to ask .
Old 29 November 2022, 07:16 PM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

He did say , the first one was a crappy one I believe then a millers run in from 20-30 miles to the 700 which will be my option I normally use Fuchs 5w 30 fully synthetic
Old 29 November 2022, 07:31 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Youve got to use the boost to expand the rings early on ,there's a very narrow window to get the rings seated , performance academy have a good you tube video on it ,very interesting .
Old 30 November 2022, 08:39 AM
4evascoob
Scooby Regular

Wry interesting videos , found myself going from one to another. About 3 hours !