Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This should give you a laugh, Subaru parts and how it works.

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2022, 03:00 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Default This should give you a laugh, Subaru parts and how it works.

I've had to order a few things recently to do a couple of small jobs, the Si Drive has been playing up on my UK Sti hatch where sometimes it will change from Sport to Sport# but other times it won't. I rang a Subaru dealership that ive used before for parts, i said "Hi, can you gove me a price for the Si Drive unit for a 2008 UK Sti hatchback". I gave them my reg like you usually do and after a bit of tapping on his keyboard he said you can't just buy the Si Drive unit, you have to buy the whole centre console, i went what lol ...... Obviously with having a perfectly good centre console i didn't take them up on that tempting offer, the SI Drive comes out perfectly easily as a separate unit.

The next one is even more comical, i was adjusting the bonnet recently, i had to undo the hydraulic arms that attach to the bonnet, they are just held on with 2 x 10mm bolts on each side. One of the bolt heads shearded off, obviously due to the age of the bolts. I managed to extract the rest of the bolt so while i was on the phone to Subaru ordering something esle i said can you send me 10 of the 10mm bolts that hold the hydraulic support arms to the bonnet, a few mins later he came back and he said we donn't sell the bolts seperately you'll have to order the entire hydraulic arm unit if you need a replacement bolt, again i went lol i'll pass on that offer.

You can get similar bolts no prob from most ironmongers, i just thought to make the postage worthwhile i'd order some and a few spares while i was on the phone. So basically with quite a few things at Subaru it seems you can't order what you actually need, you have to order what its attatched too whether you need it or not. Anyway i found the Si Drive being sold sperate by DL Motorsport so i bought it from there.

Last edited by The Joshua Tree; 25 August 2022 at 03:07 PM.
Old 25 August 2022, 03:19 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Wow, that's mad Rob.
Glad they didn't want to sell you the whole bonnet for a replacement screw!
Old 25 August 2022, 03:41 PM
Flat4x4-again
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I read something similar on a US forum, as im looking for a classic digital clock bulb.
apparently they were told they can only order a complete clock unit if the bulb goes.
Old 25 August 2022, 03:43 PM
nicam49
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

What's really scarey is that a 10mm bolt head can shear off!..... What're they made of... cheese?
Did you manage to extract the rest of the bolt?

Last edited by nicam49; 25 August 2022 at 03:45 PM.
Old 25 August 2022, 04:31 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

I asked subaru for a pair of front tyres , they said they only come with a complete new car and can not be bought on their own 👍😁😂 🤪
The following users liked this post:
Old 25 August 2022, 04:34 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by nicam49
What's really scarey is that a 10mm bolt head can shear off!..... What're they made of... cheese?
I suspect its 6 mm bolt with a 10 mm head pretty easy to shear if seized.
The following users liked this post:
Old 25 August 2022, 05:11 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by The Joshua Tree
I've had to order a few things recently to do a couple of small jobs, the Si Drive has been playing up on my UK Sti hatch where sometimes it will change from Sport to Sport# but other times it won't. I rang a Subaru dealership that ive used before for parts, i said "Hi, can you gove me a price for the Si Drive unit for a 2008 UK Sti hatchback". I gave them my reg like you usually do and after a bit of tapping on his keyboard he said you can't just buy the Si Drive unit, you have to buy the whole centre console, i went what lol ...... Obviously with having a perfectly good centre console i didn't take them up on that tempting offer, the SI Drive comes out perfectly easily as a separate unit.

The next one is even more comical, i was adjusting the bonnet recently, i had to undo the hydraulic arms that attach to the bonnet, they are just held on with 2 x 10mm bolts on each side. One of the bolt heads shearded off, obviously due to the age of the bolts. I managed to extract the rest of the bolt so while i was on the phone to Subaru ordering something esle i said can you send me 10 of the 10mm bolts that hold the hydraulic support arms to the bonnet, a few mins later he came back and he said we donn't sell the bolts seperately you'll have to order the entire hydraulic arm unit if you need a replacement bolt, again i went lol i'll pass on that offer.

You can get similar bolts no prob from most ironmongers, i just thought to make the postage worthwhile i'd order some and a few spares while i was on the phone. So basically with quite a few things at Subaru it seems you can't order what you actually need, you have to order what its attatched too whether you need it or not. Anyway i found the Si Drive being sold sperate by DL Motorsport so i bought it from there.
i ordered those bonnet bolts off partsouq recently when i changed my bonnet over

partsouq have them for $0.26 each
https://partsouq.com/en/search/all?q=904740011

even though you are now sorted - they have SI drive also, though none in stock
https://partsouq.com/en/search/all?q=83251FG000

though if you flag it as a fav it would send you an email when back in stock

partsouq is great

Last edited by Gambit; 25 August 2022 at 05:14 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Gambit:
Old 25 August 2022, 07:58 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nicam49

Old 25 August 2022, 07:59 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Old 25 August 2022, 09:04 PM
nicam49
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Nice job.... 👍..... Threadlocked, eh?
Old 26 August 2022, 07:25 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

In my experience, even if you go ahead and order, they seem incapable of ordering the right part. They couldn't supply me with something as basic as caliper mount bolts correctly.
Old 26 August 2022, 09:44 AM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lockheed
I suspect its 6 mm bolt with a 10 mm head pretty easy to shear if seized.
I think that's what it is, yeh its very easy for you to shear the head off the bolt if its become tight.
Old 26 August 2022, 10:38 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
In my experience, even if you go ahead and order, they seem incapable of ordering the right part. They couldn't supply me with something as basic as caliper mount bolts correctly.
It seems to be difficult to find a capable parts man. I've been fortunate enough to have Unity in Coventry 'around the corner' who have always been helpful and able to source parts for me. They can post parts too, if needed.
Old 26 August 2022, 11:07 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

or use someone that can supply genuine parts (amongst many others) but without the tie and extra cost of the UK dealer network and who has a history of Subaru related products / services for 20+ years.......
The following 2 users liked this post by stockcar: