ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Squeaky belt…

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2022, 05:13 PM
Feffers
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Squeaky belt…

Had the car (2005 STI) tucked away in the garage for the last month or so on a trickle charger. Started her yesterday and she sounded like a pig getting rogered by a pineapple. Really loud squeaking from one of the belts. Was fine before hibernation so assume it’s because it’s been sat for a while. Let her run for a while but didn’t get any quieter.

Is this anything to worry about or does something need adjusting? Or will it just clear with some miles? The cam belt was done 2000 miles ago and the power steering belt 500 miles ago so both pretty new.

cheers in advance!
Old 08 January 2022, 05:52 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

alternator belt needs adjusting me thinks
The following users liked this post:
Old 08 January 2022, 06:19 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Turn the steering wheel and see if its smooth or not, mines doing the same, as the old belt snapped. But don't think the one i fitted is wide enough.
Old 09 January 2022, 08:02 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

No harm in driving it, keep local by doing a fixed loop for a few miles. Use the steering lock to lock etc. The little piggy will soon tell you about the painful pineapple again!
I suspect it's the alternator / power steering belt that you can hear, doesn't mean it's knackered.
Colder weather sometimes sees these needing a slight adjustment, even when not in hibernation. Dead easy.

If either of the belts are cracked or perished, replacement is simple and cheap. Loads on YouTube about how to adjust or replace.

Last year I got a new alternator belt and just couldn't get it to fit, felt just a few mm too short. What I did wrong was I was putting it over the crank pulley first, then trying to put it over the top two pulleys (they have belt retaining ridges / guides on them) Took me an hour to realise what a plum I was being lol, so I learnt the hard way.

Because of the belt retaining ridges up top, you need to put the belt over the top two pulleys first, then the crank pulley last - this is the order needed otherwise the belt won't go on.