Key fob programming

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2021, 08:01 AM
mbright81
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key fob programming

Morning

I have an early bug STI import on an X plate. Central locking fob has packed up, it’s not the battery. EBay have replacements and I want to make sure I can program it ok. There’s different methods on you tube but I thought I’d ask on here. Thanks in advance.
Old 21 November 2021, 10:55 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

by the looks of what you have key wise , plus it being a jdm import and they often don’t have any security , you also don’t seem to have the factory immobiliser which were not cat 2 approved any way ? or any other security ? my jdm bug sti wagon , i got a sigma cat 1 installed , it may or may not be the fob could it be actuators or something else that’s the issue , if you still want the fob route there is a chap on facebook who does a lot of scooby key and fob stuff , but if it was me i would cat 1 as a good time to do it , plus cost wise not much more to sort than the fob issue 👍
Old 21 November 2021, 11:01 AM
mbright81
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate. Good advice 👍🏻
Old 21 November 2021, 12:46 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Some come with instructions on how to program them in. Be grateful you don't have the Sigma Subaru immobilizer thats a nightmare if it goes wrong.

Originally Posted by mbright81
Thanks mate. Good advice 👍🏻
Old 21 November 2021, 08:01 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

the classic shapes and some newer models bought to the uk had sigma alarms fitted by subaru uk which were problematic 😂 they were fitted as a lot of the jdm cars had no security , if there was a radio signal nearby or other issue , the alarm fob would not work , plus there were keypad issues , the newer sigma alarms is what i have fitted to mine and have had no problems with , im not familiar with the sigma immobiliser issues i just know about the cat 1 alarm issues
Old 21 November 2021, 09:00 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

The JDM bugeye "possibly" has a similar OEM keyless entry setup to a MY01 UK Impreza (minus the added Sigma alarm arrangements)
Not only did it use a 2 button fob, it could also have a fob key.....

The "registration connectors" mentioned below behind the drivers side A pillar kick panel will be single white connectors....

Old 21 November 2021, 09:39 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I'd love to have mine removed and more modern alarm system fitted.

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
the classic shapes and some newer models bought to the uk had sigma alarms fitted by subaru uk which were problematic 😂 they were fitted as a lot of the jdm cars had no security , if there was a radio signal nearby or other issue , the alarm fob would not work , plus there were keypad issues , the newer sigma alarms is what i have fitted to mine and have had no problems with , im not familiar with the sigma immobiliser issues i just know about the cat 1 alarm issues
Old 22 November 2021, 07:01 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

I’m in the herts area ,there is a chap who is a mobile car security fitter , he does travel further as was doing a job in peterborough before mine , he charges 300£ to fit a new cat 1 alarm with a certificate , he will remove non subaru immobilisers then fit a fresh alarm , i have the sigma cat 1 in mine , im not sure where you live pm me if you need his number , my most recent Fsti had a cat 2 poorly fitted so now it’s a cat 1 after the cat 2 was removed , it’s just peace of mind , on top of that every car has a tracker and an extra bit of security a kill switch or fuel cut , at least the older scoobies are not vulnerable to these all too common keyless car thefts
Old 22 November 2021, 07:21 AM
mbright81
Scooby Regular

Thanks Don

I’ve seen this method on YouTube. I think it’s the most likely. I saw another thread that poor quality battery might be the problem. I’m going to try this first and go from there.
Old 24 November 2021, 08:03 AM
mbright81
Scooby Regular

To anyone interested still. I bought a better quality battery and all is working as it should.

Originally Posted by mbright81
Thanks Don

I’ve seen this method on YouTube. I think it’s the most likely. I saw another thread that poor quality battery might be the problem. I’m going to try this first and go from there.