Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

My first time having a car mapped + the results.

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2021, 09:09 AM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Default My first time having a car mapped + the results.

I've never had a car mapped before, and i've never been down the modding route to this level before so everything is pretty new to me. I bought an Sti hatchback recently a (2008) UK 2.5 version, it had already been forged, closed decked with the 14mm head stud conversion done. The engine itself was built by Andy Williams through East Kent Subaru and mapped by Duncan Graham.

My first priority after buying the car was to get it mapped as it felt a bit laggy and down on torque, after everything i'd read online and listening to other people i contacted Bob Rawle to see if he could map the car for me, i booked it in with Bob to have it mapped in Darlington at TRW. From start to finish i enjoyed every minute of it, TRW is a very welcoming place and Bob is a great guy, his attention to detail and knowledge of Subaru's is incredible, i just listened and took in as much as i could, he helped and guided me on fitting a 3 port boost Solenoid before we started as mine only had a 2 port, again he couldn't have been more helpful.

I won't go into the mapping session as most people will know how one works, and many owners on here will have used Bob to map their cars. My hope before going was that he could sort the car out from feeling laggy and down on torque, i was not expecting these results, the first graph is the one that was done by the previous mapper after the engine was built, it was producing 505nm of torque which i think is around 375lb per foot, i stand to be correccted on that, the second graph is the one that was done by Bob last week. Nothing had changed component wise between maps other than i changed the Mishimoto cone filter which was black and had seen better days, i changed that for an identical brand new one and a 3 port boost solenoid was fitted, everything else stayed the same.

It's not a post about comparing one mapper against another, it's so you can see the results from the previous setup i had to what the results are now.

Last edited by The Joshua Tree; 14 November 2021 at 10:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 14 November 2021, 10:12 AM
neil97rs
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice results and im led to believe Bob does some great work
But thats a virtual dyno and the reuslts are very how shall we say, Vague and guess work. Get it onto a real dyno or even better the same dyno to see what the actual results are and the differences
Old 14 November 2021, 10:51 AM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Bob also mapped my car back in July and i was also very happy with the result I would not hesitate to use him again he also helped me prior to the map as I needed lots of info / guidance/wiring diagrams along the way with my build as i was putting a non DBW built 2.35 engine in my DBW FSTI.

Old 14 November 2021, 04:46 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Good results but Bob would have been equally restricted if he had had a 2 port bcs to deal with.
Old 14 November 2021, 05:52 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

As long as you like the changes thats all that matters.
I couldnt get bob to map my car i asked him if he would and he said yes so i sent him the details / spec and never heard anything back.
Duncan Graham isnt worth a carrot in my opinion. In the end i used Abbey Motor sport, im happy with the work but very up themselves and very expensive.
Old 14 November 2021, 06:05 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Good results but Bob would have been equally restricted if he had had a 2 port bcs to deal with.
Yeh difinitely, Bob as you probably know is really thorough, he asks about things like your current boost solenoid and MAF tube size pretty early on, a fair few weeks before your due to have it mapped allowing you time to order things like a 3 port Boost Solenoid and 4mm internal diameter silicone hose etc.
Old 15 November 2021, 08:34 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

all them long chats are paying off ,, great results dude
Old 15 November 2021, 09:47 AM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by domino46
all them long chats are paying off ,, great results dude
Yeh deffo Steve, people like yourself have been there, seen it and done it, its great to have that kind of advice, your going to listen. I've had good advice from other forum users too which again ive listened too and followed the advice on other things where ive needed opinions and advice.

Last edited by The Joshua Tree; 15 November 2021 at 10:04 AM.
Old 15 November 2021, 10:44 AM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts

On my previous car, I first used Duncan (under advice from the local club) and then used Bob when I was unhappy with the results. The difference in how the car drove was chalk and cheese, I'd never use DG ever again!
I like Bob, he's a genuine guy and very knowledgeable, he just lives too far away from me. I've used Richard Cope at FB Tuning the past couple of times and he is also good and very helpful.
I'm glad you've finally got what you wanted, I know it's been a long road for you. Now it's time to enjoy it!
Old 15 November 2021, 11:19 AM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by adam.pah
On my previous car, I first used Duncan (under advice from the local club) and then used Bob when I was unhappy with the results. The difference in how the car drove was chalk and cheese, I'd never use DG ever again!
I like Bob, he's a genuine guy and very knowledgeable, he just lives too far away from me. I've used Richard Cope at FB Tuning the past couple of times and he is also good and very helpful.
I'm glad you've finally got what you wanted, I know it's been a long road for you. Now it's time to enjoy it!
Things like numbers are nice to have but for me it's how the car drives in the real world, before i took it to Bob to be mapped it felt laggy and down on torque, now it drives a lot purer, it's not hesistant like it was and it doesn't take an age to wind up like it used too, it pulls very hard now esp when you hit boost. I agree with you when you said the difference was like chalk and cheese of how the car drove after a proper map. My previous map was also done by Duncan, i don't know him and i've never met him, it feels like a different car now compared to the one that had Duncan's map on it, a lot more enjoyable and responsive with a lot of torque when you need it.
Old 15 November 2021, 01:08 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

All the facefack lads swear that Duncan is one of the best syvecs mappers in the business funny old business this Subaru tuning game is
nice result bud once your happy all the matters

Old 15 November 2021, 01:42 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO
All the facefack lads swear that Duncan is one of the best syvecs mappers in the business funny old business this Subaru tuning game is
nice result bud once your happy all the matters
I can't comment on his Syvecs mapping or on him as a person as i don't know him, i've never met him. I can only judge him on the map he did on the car i bought which has a stock ECU, lets just say it wasn't good and that's me being kind and diplomatic. Yeh i'm very happy mate with the maps that Bob did, he did me 2, one at 1.2 bar and one at 1.75 bar, it's more how the car drives now, it's like a different car, that's more important to me than the numbers.
Old 15 November 2021, 02:21 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts

I can comment on him mapping a Syvecs S6, it was nearly undrivable it was so bad!