Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

critique tune/map

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2020, 04:55 PM
Biddysti
Scooby Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default critique tune/map

Hoping someone can give some advice on my current tune. A bit of background knowledge. Car is an impreza wrx sti v3 jdm import with vf23 turbo, front mount intercooler, 550cc injectors, full catless, stainless steel headers, hks mushroom filter, 340 lph fuel pump and running mafless. Not really relevant but I've just recently fitted a fuji racing windage tray, baffle plate, uprated oil pick up pipe and later sump. All mods have been done by myself since buying the car about 12 months ago. I bought a second hand ecu with esl daughter board fitted from a car that had almost identical mods. Fitted and I took to a tuner to have the map tweaked. The guy spent a couple of hours road mapping the car but said he wanted me to change the injectors as the car wasn't starting from cold properly and then return a few days later where he would tweak the map and also fit a 3 port boost solenoid. Needless to say he kept messing me around and I never ended up returning.
At this point I decided to buy the cable and software and have a go myself. I've since fitted a 3 port boost solenoid a 3bar map sensor and an IAT sensor fitted in the intercooler pipe near the throttle body. I've played around with the boost map and wastegate duty cycle map and i'm happy with the results. The car spools so much faster now and I've even turned the boost down. I've tuned the cruise area of the tune using my wideband but i'm a bit apprehensive to mess with the fueling in the WOT area. I'm happy with how the car drives and performs but it looks like its running a bit rich under full boost conditions and I did have to remove quite a bit of fuel in the cruise area.
I've added a column in the log with the formula to convert the wideband signal into an AFR value.
If anyone with any experience or knowledge could give some input it would be much appreciated. I'v attached a copy of a recent 3rd and 4th gear pull.

Cheers.
Attached Files
File Type: csv
Old 30 May 2020, 12:06 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Biddysti
Hoping someone can give some advice on my current tune. A bit of background knowledge. Car is an impreza wrx sti v3 jdm import with vf23 turbo, front mount intercooler, 550cc injectors, full catless, stainless steel headers, hks mushroom filter, 340 lph fuel pump and running mafless. Not really relevant but I've just recently fitted a fuji racing windage tray, baffle plate, uprated oil pick up pipe and later sump. All mods have been done by myself since buying the car about 12 months ago. I bought a second hand ecu with esl daughter board fitted from a car that had almost identical mods. Fitted and I took to a tuner to have the map tweaked. The guy spent a couple of hours road mapping the car but said he wanted me to change the injectors as the car wasn't starting from cold properly and then return a few days later where he would tweak the map and also fit a 3 port boost solenoid. Needless to say he kept messing me around and I never ended up returning.
At this point I decided to buy the cable and software and have a go myself. I've since fitted a 3 port boost solenoid a 3bar map sensor and an IAT sensor fitted in the intercooler pipe near the throttle body. I've played around with the boost map and wastegate duty cycle map and i'm happy with the results. The car spools so much faster now and I've even turned the boost down. I've tuned the cruise area of the tune using my wideband but i'm a bit apprehensive to mess with the fueling in the WOT area. I'm happy with how the car drives and performs but it looks like its running a bit rich under full boost conditions and I did have to remove quite a bit of fuel in the cruise area.
I've added a column in the log with the formula to convert the wideband signal into an AFR value.
If anyone with any experience or knowledge could give some input it would be much appreciated. I'v attached a copy of a recent 3rd and 4th gear pull.

Cheers.
happy to take a look, I've done a few ESL cars but you really need to share the map to go with the log as the log is only half the picture on it's own.
Old 30 May 2020, 11:52 AM
Biddysti
Scooby Newbie

Default Maps

Here's the maps.
Old 30 May 2020, 12:56 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

are you sure your wideband formula/conversion is correct? looks like your sitting at 9 AFR on full throttle which is way to rich. Your IAM is at 16 which is good and your knock counter isn't increasing during your pull which is also good but that AFR (if correct) won't be good for the engine.

You're also overshooting your target boost on spool up - if 1.4bar is your target and your hitting 1.5 then the max duty in that area (4100-4900) needs to be reduced a little to stop that.

*edit* also there's a lot more important tables in the map that you haven't shown yet, be easier to just post the map file up or email it to me so I can compare it properly with the logs.
Old 30 May 2020, 02:05 PM
Biddysti
Scooby Newbie

In just on my way out now but I will email the full file when I get back. If you look at the wastegate duty % when it hits 1.5 bar you'll see it's 69.5% which is what my minimum duty was set to in that range. I've since dropped it to 60%. So I'll see how that affect it. The guy who originally tuned it had the boost set at 1.5. the formula I got from a thread on this forum. I'll do a log on idle later and check that the afr logged matches my wideband gauge. Cheers
Old 30 May 2020, 02:22 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

the formula usually ends up being unique for each car and your target is 1.4bar, if your on a standard engine I'd stick with 1.4bar maybe 1.3bar if it has some miles racked up. the min and max duty should he scaled together so the ECU has a good control range.
Old 31 May 2020, 09:38 AM
Biddysti
Scooby Newbie

Hey bludgod I've emailed the complete map file to you.