Sponsored by:

buying a car from salvage (e.g. copart)

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2021, 12:25 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
Default buying a car from salvage (e.g. copart)

I'm a little bit tempted to pick up an easy project from one of those insurance write-off auctions (such as copart.co.uk).

Has anyone got experience with these guys (or similar)?

The cars I'm looking at are basically Cat N, so nothing majorly wrong with them, but still damaged, so I wouldn't feel guilty about chopping up bodywork etc on "classics"

One thing that confuses me is that some of the cars still show up with valid MOT. Does that mean that it's literally a case of buying the car, having it delivered, and then insuring it? That sounds almost too easy to be true
Old 27 August 2021, 01:20 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

From what I remember mates used to do it years ago, they worked in garages and done bodywork etc. With the youtubers and that the price of cars there went up and most of the time were costing near enough if not more than normal cars. However with COVID I'm not sure what the market looks like now.

With Cat N cars they are non structural but only reason for writeoff was due to it being uneconomical to repair via insurance company. The MOT should be fine unless it has expired.

What were you thinking of buying.
Old 27 August 2021, 02:10 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
From what I remember mates used to do it years ago, they worked in garages and done bodywork etc. With the youtubers and that the price of cars there went up and most of the time were costing near enough if not more than normal cars. However with COVID I'm not sure what the market looks like now.

With Cat N cars they are non structural but only reason for writeoff was due to it being uneconomical to repair via insurance company. The MOT should be fine unless it has expired.
Aha, thank you!

I agree with the prices being all over the shop, especially ebay seems to have gone crazy on all sorts of random things.. Things like lathes, milling machines etc are eye-wateringly expensive now IMO, and same with 2nd hand cars on there too.

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
What were you thinking of buying.
As boring as it sounds, something like this renault https://www.copart.co.uk/lot/5298277...io-renau-sandy - Not a massively expensive car anyway, but for a track day toy I don't want to buy a shiny one

Old 27 August 2021, 02:18 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Brilliant fun cars they are. A mate had one and I'm sure he bought it from there too lol. All depends on price.
Old 27 August 2021, 02:35 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I used to buy a lot of salvage years ago, Copart included, they got very expensive, with all the add on charges, biggest tip I can give is never buy without seeing the car in the flesh, there are a lot of them bought with lots of damage & doctered up to look minor & re submitted in the auction, as well as damage when being delivered & on site, after the auction end, which unless you look at it & I suggest you take lots of your own pictures to prove, Copart are not very agreeable to deal with, after you pay up, I had one I had to re skin the roof after it was damaged from the car transporter upper deck came in contact with it, without proof it was a hard task to get a suitable refund on, & I only bought cars a few months to a year old.
The following users liked this post:
Old 28 August 2021, 04:59 AM
geoffroberts
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Co-part

If buying from copart avoid buying cars with no or little damage. They are private entries and are in for a reason most of the time. You are best sticking to cars entered by insurance companies in my opinion. There are bargains to be had, I picked up a v6 sti ra earlier this year which was fire damaged, inside the cabin was totally burnt out. But the running gear and suspension were not damaged. From memory it was just over 2k with fees (plus vat but we are vat registered). Parts sold for well over double that. Its always a gamble though as you can quite easily buy a bag of ****e! Good company to deal with though.
Old 28 August 2021, 07:26 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by geoffroberts
If buying from copart avoid buying cars with no or little damage. They are private entries and are in for a reason most of the time. You are best sticking to cars entered by insurance companies in my opinion. There are bargains to be had, I picked up a v6 sti ra earlier this year which was fire damaged, inside the cabin was totally burnt out. But the running gear and suspension were not damaged. From memory it was just over 2k with fees (plus vat but we are vat registered). Parts sold for well over double that. Its always a gamble though as you can quite easily buy a bag of ****e! Good company to deal with though.
Stupid question, but how do you know if they've been entered by an insurance company or not? Is it the Category U vs N etc?