Sponsored by:

Cat D Question

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2011, 01:43 PM
biggi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat D Question

Is it risky buying a cat d car and do insurance companies class this as a special case, will it lead to high premiums, will they insure the car, who do u recommend and finally do u need to declare this as no questions are asked!!!!

HELP ME PLEASE!!!
Old 08 March 2011, 01:45 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

They do ask you, but I believe it will only affect the payout value, should something happen.
Old 08 March 2011, 01:49 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joey_turbo
They do ask you, but I believe it will only affect the payout value, should something happen.
Yep if anything happens to the car you get a smaller payout that's it
Old 08 March 2011, 01:59 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Car is worth less, so insuer will payout less if its written off/stolen.

Sometimes the only reason a car is classfied as Cat D is because of a silly scratch/scuff, vandalism or even damage from attempted theft where the total repair costs (including courtesy/rental cars, claims for lost earning etc. can run into thousands for silly repairs etc) outweighing the value of the car. This is epescially noted in cases where the car can't be repaired in a timely manner.

So Cat D cannot be used as an indicator of the car's actual condition or what kind of inccident it was involved in, as it has zero relation to its structural integrity or the severity of damage; just that it was too minor to be Cat C. Best go over it with a fine tooth comb to find what repairs have been done, and teh quality of workmanship done (you should not be able to detect a good repair)...sometimes entering the reg number into google reveal pictures from salvage auctions.

Remember you can easily buy a non-Cat registered car thats been repaired by an insurer that has suffered much more severe damage than a Cat D car. But is repaired because its worth more (nearly new car, for example), but it will show zero record of its accident history. This is how stupid our motor industry is .

Last edited by ALi-B; 08 March 2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08 March 2011, 02:06 PM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

I bought a Cat C Mk2 Golf GTi a few years ago.

I was never asked whether it had ever been written off when I insured it, I'm sure it would have been on the insurance data base had I claimed on it though.
Old 08 March 2011, 02:15 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have thought by not declaring it may lead to your insurance being void in the event of a claim for non disclosure wouldn't it?
Old 08 March 2011, 02:20 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adidas
I bought a Cat C Mk2 Golf GTi a few years ago.

I was never asked whether it had ever been written off when I insured it, I'm sure it would have been on the insurance data base had I claimed on it though.
That's when it normally comes to light when you make a claim, hpi is well worth the money when you buy the car as it's a kick in the nuts if you need to make a claim for 10k and they offer 6 due to it being on the list
I've had loads of cat d's and c's , my m3 had osf corner damage nothing to major , as a st car it was a 25k car as cat c all repaired I paid 18 and it was as good as any other
Old 08 March 2011, 05:53 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

nearly every car i have owned has been a write off of some sort and never at insurance time have i been asked if the car is a write off or not, on two non fault claims i got the full value of the car,
people also believe that a cat d cant be worse than cat c, a cat c can have only a scratch and a cat d can have the back end off, its down to the estimator at the time, what category it goes on unless of core the roof has been cut off or fire damage.
Old 10 March 2011, 10:35 AM
biggi
Scooby Regular

Nice one, I am having the car inspected by a company called autolign, this inspection also changes the status on the hpi report which is a bounus, if the car passes this then I am back in a STI lol, I did say that I was leaving Subaru ownership but I cant pull my self to do it.
Old 10 March 2011, 10:41 AM
tom g
Scooby Regular

it still tells all its been a write off at hpi check time.
Old 10 March 2011, 12:45 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

Have yourself a browse through there mate, you start to relise that a cat d can actually have ALOT more damage than a cat c in some case's? I just guess its down to the assessor at the time.

http://www.copart.co.uk/c2/homeSearc...ageRange=99999