Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Salvaged Car....Could anyone help please ?

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2002, 05:35 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its not illegal to sell a written off car, insurance companies do it every day

basically when a car is what we would call written off it gets categorised by the insurance company and sold to a salvage yard (or auctioned).

Two categories (a+b i think it is is) are that the car cannot be used on the highway again and the log book is returned to dvla and the car only stripped for parts and the shell/chassis must be squashed when the bits are stripped off.

The other two categories mean the car can be sold on regardless of its state. You as the buyer have to satisfy yourself as to what is wrong and what needs fixing etc.

If you are buying it to use and sell on remember that if it has been subject to a total loss claim it will be registered on hpi which will seriously affect its value, it could be on the stolen/recovered register as well and even possibly on the outstanding finance register if the insurance paid out insufficient to cover the settlement figure (rare tho possible).

You can get the vehicle repaired and take it to be inspected and it will get added to another register than shows that a satisfactory repair has been carried out on the vehicle (but it will still show on the other registers, this just shows its been rebuilt properly).

I've bought a couple of scrapped cars in the past, i only tended to get things that were stolen recovered or very light front damage, easier to repair then. If you start looking at cars that don't even sit on the floor straight or crab or have twisted roofs etc its starts getting VERY expensive unless you have access to good/cheap spared and jigging/shelling facilities.

Another point to consider is insuring the vehicle, if its been subjected to a total loss claim some insurance companies may refuse cover if you try to claim for its total value if you crash it after its been repaired.

hope thats some useful info for you.

Another point worth mentioning, slavage traders should tell you why its there, very rarely is it because the alloys have been nicked, its usually more than that
private sellers however if they are not asked do not have to state if its ever been crashed etc, so its always an idea to ask the question.

[Edited by ptholt - 10/6/2002 5:37:57 PM]
Old 06 October 2002, 05:16 PM
The Baron
Scooby Newbie

Question

I have seen a 928s4 that has taken my fancy as price is right and the apparent damage is only denting to the front spoiler, albeit quite bad the car can be driven.....no stereo, speakers or rear quarterpanel window.....(theiving gypsy Ba*****s) The car is not taxed or MOT'd

I have received a photocpoy of the cars V5 form and the engine code and Vin no match up to what it should be form Porsche documentation for the year.

As far as I am aware The only thing I need to safegaurd myself is an HPI check for outstanding debt etc.....

My major worry is that the car's chassis is twisted or that the car has been written off.......The company that has the car for sale seems quite reputable........Has anyone any experience of buying a salvaged car, am I correct in thinking that it is illegal to sell a car that has been written off? Unless stated to the buyer. Does this mean that the car is fully repairable....I think the cars status is Stolen / recovered.....I realise the old moral "let the buyer beware." but there are reasons behind buying such a car.

Any and All assistance much appreciated......

Regards to all

The Baron.
Old 06 October 2002, 05:41 PM
The Baron
Scooby Newbie

Kind thanks....much more info than I had hoped for...it must be quiet for you at work too ;-)

The add does say very light front damage....fingers crossed, Im getting a porsche mechanic to give it the once over, and am hoping that there should be no other problems.

Thank you again for the time you took to help....much appreciated.

Regards

The Baron.
Old 06 October 2002, 10:59 PM
Kenny
Scooby Regular

Be aware also that when a recorded car is registered with a new keeper, the DVLA inform the local plod who will eventually come round and check the car's VIN numbers etc. This is apparently to crack down on ringing where a written off cars ID is transfered onto a stolen one.

I bought one of our 205s as stolen/recovered (cat C) from a local salvage dealer some years back and this happend to us (no probs though). The car is still going strong and cost (at the time) a fraction of the normal selling price.

To put it on the road our insurers required a new MoT and engineer's report.

Just make sure you are happy that you know what you are buying!

Cheers
Ken
Old 07 October 2002, 09:19 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Thats an interesting one Ken, I've had about 5-6 cars from salvage yards and never had the police check anything!

Haven't had one in the last 10-12 months so may be a new thing as it used to stink when you went to a salvage auction and there would just be a burnt out shell with a v5 for sale, no way was that going to be repaired! More like an identical car nicked.
Old 07 October 2002, 09:53 AM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

Be Wary, there is normally more than a "light frontal" damage to write a car off. Think about how much the car "was" valued at. Because the insurance company will normally repair a car "up to" that "current value", so the price of a front panel and bumper would not "alone" of written it off.
Was it stolen/recovered? is there engine/clutch/gearbox/underside/suspension damage.
You are not to know untill you personally view the car,then, prior to purchase, price the bits up you are likely to need,do this by taking a couple of phone numbers with you, then while looking at the car, phone a couple of secondhand bits suppliers. Then, you have all the info you need. you have seen the car "in person", you have some prices for parts, a good guess as to bodyshop prices for painting and a geometry check, and "voila". total car price back on the road.
Now, work it out, is it viable or not, so barring for a few phone calls,you either make a few buck or loose a fortune but before your hand had dipped into your wallet.
Old 07 October 2002, 09:57 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Hence why i went for light front-end.
Once the cars are a few years old the price of them being put in a (for example) volkswagen bodyshop with genuine parts plus there labour rates can push things over the edge.
Also where its been stolen the insurance company may have already paid out on the car (if its taken a while to recover) so when they do recover the car it gets sold as salvage.

VERY good idea to check them out thoroughly, but there are some cheap cars to be had.
My own experience with them has been quite good, its not like your buying it through the paper because the owner knows its about to blow up, so in respect of reliability etc most of the cars i've had like this have been pretty good!

Trending Topics

Old 07 October 2002, 04:20 PM
The Baron
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Thanks to all for your assistance with this. I shall be travelling down south sometime this week to view the beast....and determine the "actual damage."

Is is the done thing to ask if the car can be taken to a garage for a good going over before I place an offer on the car?

I really am a novice at this car buying lark, I've allways been "given" crappy runarounds and my girlfriend bought our current car....so....

My Kind thanks and regards go to all that are helping me.

The Baron.
Old 07 October 2002, 04:27 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Very rare you will be allowed to take it anywhere from my experience. If your lucky they may have the ability to get it on a ramp or in the air for you to look at etc.
Old 07 October 2002, 04:45 PM
The Baron
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

Oh well, I've posted a message asking if anyone knows of a reputable Porsche mechanic in the Blackpool area.....the only thing I am worried about is if its twisted or warped and I dont think that would be able to be determined by even a reputable Mechanic without garage and proper tools.

My nightmare would be to buy one only to find out that I couldnt get an mot for it as the frames's knacked......cheers for the words of wisdom tho :-) I dont feel so alone in my quest.....

Regards as allways

The Baron
Old 07 October 2002, 04:49 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

well it is possible to be misaligned yet still pass an mot.
They dont do any alignemnt checks in an mot really, or not strict ones anyway.
Old 07 October 2002, 04:54 PM
The Baron
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs down

Hmm, well I really dont want to take the risk, I have no inkling to be driving sideyways at 150 plus when I take her to track days......it could be you I use as an airbag for my car, lol

The Baron