Sponsored by:

Subaru GC8 oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2021, 12:25 AM
Nena
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru GC8 oil leak

Hey guys so basically I just bought a classic wrx 1995 and I noticed it has a oil leak that drips on the frame and when driven for a while will lose oil quickly so I’m just wondering if anyone would recommend a good Subaru expert to give the car a full health check and and to basically let me know the full story of what I just bought. The previous owner replaced the block as the timing belt jumped due to the tensioner collapsing so I’m thinking it has something to do with that job but I’d rather have someone who is realible and trustworthy to check it for me. I know of a place in Hillington “Kenny Brown” who’s really good but he’s fully booked atm so any help or info is much appreciated 👍 btw I’m in Glasgow
Old 15 June 2021, 10:09 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Check your PCV valve, make sure its moving and not stuck. Rocker covers is a common issue so check that too.
Old 15 June 2021, 10:21 AM
Nena
Scooby Newbie

Much appreciated for the info bud I’ll give them a check on the weekend fingers crossed it’s something minor because I’m not looking to get the engine removed already 😬 I’ll keep you updated
Old 15 June 2021, 12:42 PM
scooobydont
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Hypertech

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100057630962646

Very well respected in the subaru world. I use Duncan myself.
The following users liked this post:
Old 15 June 2021, 01:07 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

All Subaru's have slight oil leaks. Rockers gaskets are most common thing, and you change spark plug gaskets at the same time, plus breather gaskets I think there called and washer gaskets for all bolts. ICP does full kits easy to do, and not too pricey.

Done them on both Impreza's but one still has a leak, not sure if coming from sump or believe crack seal is also a common one too go.

Any pictures of the car? I want another one.
Old 16 June 2021, 10:29 AM
Nena
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by scooobydont
Hypertech

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100057630962646

Very well respected in the subaru world. I use Duncan myself.
Thanks for the info man I’ll b sure to give them a shout pretty soon !
Old 16 June 2021, 10:46 AM
Nena
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by jaygsi
All Subaru's have slight oil leaks. Rockers gaskets are most common thing, and you change spark plug gaskets at the same time, plus breather gaskets I think there called and washer gaskets for all bolts. ICP does full kits easy to do, and not too pricey.

Done them on both Impreza's but one still has a leak, not sure if coming from sump or believe crack seal is also a common one too go.

Appreciate the reply, pcv is bone dry so it’s not that, it could be crank seal which is fairly easy job..would give me incentive to upgrade the clutch and flywheel if the box came off 😏 mate I know they are bad for leaks I’m currently driving one hour each day and then checking the loss of oil so I know exactly how bad the leak is but it can sit on idle for 20 mins and there will be oil drips on the floor about a 2inch diameter 😬 I just need it fixed because I want to be able to drive long distance with the peace of mind that I won’t need to top up oil every hour haha yeah I got it polished and managed to get a picture before the seagulls decide to visit 🤦🏽‍♂️

Trending Topics

Old 18 June 2021, 10:51 PM
Nena
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by jaygsi

hey man I replied to your message and added a picture of the car but it’s not been approved yet 🤦🏽‍♂️ Rockers are dry and so is sump