Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UK Spec C Hatchback v JDM Spec C Hatchback, possible engine swap ?

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2021, 08:55 AM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Default UK Spec C Hatchback v JDM Spec C Hatchback, possible engine swap ?

A few will know that ive been searching for a hatchback in WR Blue for a while, ideally one that has already been modified but i'm flexible on a few things and will consider other options which i've already done.

I've already viewed a couple of UK hatchbacks over the last few months, and ive seen a lot of photos of them including underside shots, whichever UK hatchback you view its going to have corrosion which i knew anyway, it's just to what level the corrosion is as some will be worse than others. This moves me onto my question.

To get the best conditioned car i can i'm going to have to import one by the looks of things, the only down side is i prefer the 2.5 engine for a few reasons, but only a 2.5 thats already been forged and closed decked, again for obvious reasons. I'm considering importing either a Spec C or an Sti and doing an engine swap, it's not as crazy as it sounds if you do the figures. To buy a UK one you'd probably have to restore the underside, thats £3 - £5k depending on the levels you go too, but even then once you've done the underside the bodywork on the outiside could start showinhg signs of corrosion over time, it could be like opening Pandora's box.

The questions ive got to do with swapping a JDM 2.0 Twin Scroll to a UK 2.5, are the gearboxes different, other than potentially needing the UK gearbox as well would everything else be straight forward ?

As an example of condition, a JDM car i maybe interested in

Old 14 June 2021, 09:00 AM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

Any good mate?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194200136...QAAOSwMYhgxa-i
The following users liked this post:
Old 14 June 2021, 09:08 AM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johno01
Alright Johno, ive viewed it, it's got more corrosion than i'm confortable with and needs some welding, another user on here has seen the underside pics and has advised me against it. It drives well, the suspension is great but it probably needs full restoration underneath, it had a couple of signs of bubbling on the arches too.
Old 14 June 2021, 09:17 AM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Joshua Tree
Alright Johno, ive viewed it, it's got more corrosion than i'm confortable with and needs some welding, another user on here has seen the underside pics and has advised me against it. It drives well, the suspension is great but it probably needs full restoration underneath, it had a couple of signs of bubbling on the arches too.
😂😂 your quick mate! Shocking that it needs welding already
Old 14 June 2021, 09:23 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

I agree the jdm route is often a good option for rust free but it’s not always the case , there are a few jdm auction houses that would be not as good to buy from due to local weather conditions , the issue you are getting is expensive to import at the moment , a Fsti 07 plate about 1 year ago about 12k now it’s in the region of 16k plus for an 04 plate , i would see what’s at importers uk garages first like harlow jap autos , hurst in bedford but can be pricy , the engine swap the 2.5 is my preferred engine , what about a twin scroll jdm 2 litre , less lag than a 2 litre , it maybe a simple bolt in to swap but it could turn into a nightmare , i don’t know enough to say
Old 14 June 2021, 09:52 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
the engine swap the 2.5 is my preferred engine , what about a twin scroll jdm 2 litre , less lag than a 2 litre , it maybe a simple bolt in to swap but it could turn into a nightmare , i don’t know enough to say
JDM Hatches are twin scroll - VF49/53/58/56 depending upon model

Last edited by Don Clark; 14 June 2021 at 09:58 AM.
Old 14 June 2021, 10:14 AM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
the engine swap the 2.5 is my preferred engine , what about a twin scroll jdm 2 litre , less lag than a 2 litre , it maybe a simple bolt in to swap but it could turn into a nightmare , i don’t know enough to say
The 2.5 has more lower down Torque which i prefer, the 2.5 also sounds better and is the more iconic Subaru sounding engine. From what i believe you can use the JDM gearbox with the 2.5 but it's a shorter ratio, also again from what i belive you would just need the 2.5 short block rather than the full engine as the 2.0 twin scroll head will work with the 2.5 short block. It's just something i'm weighing up, it's just another option that i was thinking about as long as its practical and fairly cost effective as i know its not a low cost option.

Personally i would want the 2.5 gearbox as well, ideally the gearbox and full engine from a 2.5. What would negate some of the cost is i'd have a spec C engine and gearbox to sell so it's not all outlay.

Last edited by The Joshua Tree; 14 June 2021 at 10:17 AM.
Old 14 June 2021, 10:17 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

I know you prefer the 2.5 but have you driven a JDM twin scroll. Loads of torque. You will lose the burble though.

£3-£5k for under chassis refresh seems high. If you're willing to take the stuff off yourself its much cheaper. Puts the pictures up of the one the one that you said wasn't worth it.

Old 14 June 2021, 10:59 AM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
Puts the pictures up of the one the one that you said wasn't worth it.
I'm keeping the pics off the net mate as the lad is still trying to sell his car and he seems decent enough, i genuinley believe he didn't know it was that bad under there, he knew of the rust on the subframe and components which a lot will have, but i don't think he knew it was on the bodywork and in other places. Its for someone viewing it to form their own opinion.

Last edited by The Joshua Tree; 14 June 2021 at 11:00 AM.
Old 14 June 2021, 11:09 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

I'm keeping the pics off the net mate as the lad is still trying to sell his car and he seems decent enough, i genuinley believe he didn't know it was that bad under there, he knew of the rust on the subframe and components which a lot will have, but i don't think he knew it was on the bodywork and in other places. Its for someone viewing it to form their own opinion.
Should have been a MOT failure if I'm honest, Even before it got to that stage it should have been picked up. Thing is if you're going to look at the car you can't get it up on the ramp and there is no way of being able to see it.
Old 14 June 2021, 11:22 AM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Should have been a MOT failure if I'm honest, Even before it got to that stage it should have been picked up. Thing is if you're going to look at the car you can't get it up on the ramp and there is no way of being able to see it.
You've seen the pics, you were really surpised at how bad the condition is, now compare that to the JDM pics above of the underside of that Spec C hence why i posted the thread. A Lot of Uk cars of this age and older will have some form of corrosion and it won't get any better unless its dealt with. some will be worse than others, its not easy finding a UK car thats 12 - 14 years old thats in acceptable condition esp when Subaru's build quality was never known for being the best anyway.
Old 14 June 2021, 11:28 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

You've seen the pics, you were really surpised at how bad the condition is, now compare that to the JDM pics above of the underside of that Spec C hence why i posted the thread. A Lot of Uk cars of this age and older will have some form of corrosion and it won't get any better unless its dealt with. some will be worse than others, its not easy finding a UK car thats 12 - 14 years old thats in acceptable condition esp when Subaru's build quality was never known for being the best anyway.
Mate classics seem in better condition. Its like the underseal was stripped when brand new and left like that

You do have one other option and could work out a bit cheaper. Find a shell and swap the bits over. You can do any paint work and rust repair.
Old 14 June 2021, 11:40 AM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

You do have one other option and could work out a bit cheaper. Find a shell and swap the bits over. You can do any paint work and rust repair.
Unfortunately i don't have the knowledge or experience that someone like Domino aka Steve has, or the contacts or the setup at home to do that sort of thing. You'd have to do a lot of that work yourself to make it cost effective, all i can do is keep on searching and think outside the box a little which is what i'm doing at the min, its a shame that Subaru built these cars so weak to withstand the elements that we have in this country as i think the car itself is great, i'd never been in a hatch up and till this year and a well sorted one is a lot of fun, they make me smile a lot more than my current car does.

Last edited by The Joshua Tree; 14 June 2021 at 11:49 AM.
Old 14 June 2021, 02:26 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately i don't have the knowledge or experience that someone like Domino aka Steve has, or the contacts or the setup at home to do that sort of thing. You'd have to do a lot of that work yourself to make it cost effective, all i can do is keep on searching and think outside the box a little which is what i'm doing at the min, its a shame that Subaru built these cars so weak to withstand the elements that we have in this country as i think the car itself is great, i'd never been in a hatch up and till this year and a well sorted one is a lot of fun, they make me smile a lot more than my current car does.
out of curiosity mate how did you manage to check the underneath in detail? Did he have access to ramps or something? Cheers
Old 14 June 2021, 04:12 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Undo from one car and redo on the other lol. Just messing mate

The going rate in the West Midlands for a non rolling shell to it being swapped over including wiring was about £2k or £3k for a classic. It gets dropped off you pick up the complete car.
Old 14 June 2021, 04:37 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johno01
out of curiosity mate how did you manage to check the underneath in detail? Did he have access to ramps or something? Cheers
Hi Johno, i viewd it from the drive, i took a powerful torch and took some photos while i was there. The owner mentioned that he was having it MOT'd on the following saturday, i asked him if possible if he could take some better pics whilst it was on the ramp, he managed to do that and forwarded them onto me.
Old 14 June 2021, 04:50 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Hi Johno, i viewd it from the drive, i took a powerful torch and took some photos while i was there. The owner mentioned that he was having it MOT'd on the following saturday, i asked him if possible if he could take some better pics whilst it was on the ramp, he managed to do that and forwarded them onto me.
cheers mate
Old 16 June 2021, 06:30 AM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

With every Scoob and Evo I buy I get right underneath and have a poke about

Japan is a island as well so you will get cars that are close to the coast and will suffer from rust