Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying new: STI Type UK vs JDM spec or other import sub £22K?

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2003, 11:14 PM
Stu-exScoobOwner
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am thinking of re-entering the Scooby fray - have searched for as much info as I can about buying the MY03 Sti but still have some questions:

- What can I expect from £22/23K? Litchfield Imports say they have an MYO3 UK Spec STi in Black for £21,995 OTR incl RAC Trackstar and CAt1 alarm - this looks like the Euro spec - aside from 261bhp what's the difference and what would it cost to get up to 300bhp?
Does this sound right and what would you want to know before buying?

- What's the SP on buying a JDMspec car? PRO'S vs CONS?

- Also - Litchfield say they can provide the Miltek Exhaust for £795 and it will give 30bhp +
Is this the same/similar mod to the PPP? What's the difference?
http://www.litimports.co.uk/subaru/stiexh.html

Questions questions......any help greatly appreciated.

Old 23 December 2003, 12:12 AM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

i can tell you what i have learned as i have just gone down the same road, and ended up with a my03 sti jdm.

1 the jdm is higher spec, better engine, twin scroll turbo, some car have added as dealer options dccd(driver control central diff). They have rear wash wiper, folding electric mirrors, some come with nice bbs alloys, just depends what you find.

not saying thats all of it, but its some of the stuff i remembered. So the jdm sti is said to be around 310bhp as standard, to which you can add as it has the better engine than the type uk, or euro spec sti.

If you added the miltek to a uk spec or euro spec, you might end up with warranty issues, if IM are honouring your warranty, have to be carefull with that. Where as if you buy a jdm this is also a downside you probably end up with little or no warranty depending where you buy it from, but i guess you can mod all you like without worrying.

Another downpoint is insurance, it will probably be more expensive than the uk sti. Also probably wont come with a tracker. If you buy a jdm model in teh uk, depending where you get it, you can probably get one with warranty but you will pay at least 23-24k for it still without a tracker.

If you import one yourself, it will take time but its cheaper, i had a little look into it but that was about it, im to impatient.

Thats all just some of the bits i have learned while doing it

good luck
Old 23 December 2003, 09:12 AM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Just remember that if you get a JDM make sure its either been remapped for UK fuel or you run octane booster. Or have enough for engine rebuilds in the bank.

Dave.
Old 23 December 2003, 09:29 AM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Stu-exScoobOwner - Having been there, done that with a Litimports Euro (UK) spec STi8 - that is now over 300bhp / 300 lbft - I can hopefully give you some info....

Drop me a quick mail as per profile, and I'll send you back some private info that should help.

Adrian
Old 23 December 2003, 09:53 AM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

the remap thing is said to be pretty much a myth, some of the people who sell them and have been doing for years with a great reputation say you dont need it, saying that i will have mine done just to make sure
Old 23 December 2003, 01:29 PM
Rob99
Scooby Regular

Hmmm similar question really but was after the low down of comparing an STi 8 with PPP against an STi Type C

What issues will I face with both cars
Old 26 December 2003, 01:26 PM
Stu-exScoobOwner
Scooby Regular

Thanks for replying all. Adrian - have emailed you.

Stu
Old 27 December 2003, 04:05 PM
Ady 1
Scooby Regular

Just a simple question for you guy's, being an STi8 Type UK owner now (having owned a JDM Type R V4 for some 4 yrs and 2 blown engines),what is the difference in the engines then as I was told they were identical with the exception being that the UK one was catted up to the eyeballs and the ECU remapped to run on our crap fuel, so why is the JDM engine better????? Quite obviously I have now chosen a sh!te car!!!!!

Ady
Old 27 December 2003, 04:13 PM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

as far as i know, High intensity cast pistons, different crank (stronger), different turbo(twin scroll), good for close to 400bhp, as far as im aware in standard form, so someone fed you a crock of s_hit
Old 27 December 2003, 05:00 PM
Ady 1
Scooby Regular

Jason, how can they sell this thing as an STi then if it ain't remotely like one? Are the internals like a WRX's cos that's not what it says in the glossy literature I got before I bought it?(I feel an EVO coming on here)

Ady

[Edited by Ady 1 - 12/27/2003 5:02:02 PM]
Old 27 December 2003, 05:06 PM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

well its strategically marketed, as "type uk" made to look good and sold by salesmen. Who will of course slag off the jdm sti, as they are trying to sell you a type uk, they will play on warranty issues and parts issues, and try to tell you the uk sti say it is just the same or as good. The reason the salesmen dont have a problem i think is people who know the true differences dont go into showrooms looking at uk stis trying to convince themselves its a better deal, so there is really no one to argue with the sales b-ulls-hit. But i guess different models attract different buyers, someone who just wants a uk car with the warranty may as well go for type uk with ppp, someone who wants the ultimate machine and has enough money to take the risk(unlike me lol) would go for the jdm car. I am glad in the choice i made so far, if you choose the right company, lately there are a few who will give you a decent warranty with a jdm car, all be it they are a little more expensive...you get what you pay for
Old 27 December 2003, 05:18 PM
Ady 1
Scooby Regular

What car do you run Jason? As I said earlier I used to have an STi Type R V4 and the engine let go twice ( fortunately the second time it wasn't in my posession but I believe in both cases it was down to detonation because of the fueling and that meant expensive ECU's on top of an already expensive piece of kit. Still can't get me head round the engine internals being different on UK car (should have gone for the WRX perhaps if that engine is the same!!). Cheers anyway, you've left me feeling quite depressed.

Ady
Old 27 December 2003, 05:22 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

My JDM import has a full warranty to pretty much the same level as the UK Subarus.

There are many companies which will provide a warranty, just make sure you pick a reputable one.

I know Litchfield Imports supplies warranties with its imports. To what level I don't know, but i'm pretty sure they too will be pretty much the same as the Suaru warranty.

Check out http://www.litimports.co.uk/subaru/stijapspec.html and you will see they also come with cat1 alarm, tracker and a remapped ECU. What more do you need?

[Edited by Gedi - 12/27/2003 5:24:22 PM]
Old 27 December 2003, 08:08 PM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

i have an sti8, and as gedi said there are many companies that will do you a decent deal with a warranty, however they are just little more expensive that sourcing one elsewhere, but as i said you get what you pay for
Old 27 December 2003, 09:55 PM
PROBLEMCHILD75
Scooby Regular

I got my year old JDM sti 8 with 12 months warranty