ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

New owner of a gb270

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2021, 07:55 PM
Smithygb270
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner of a gb270

Hi I recently bought a 2008 hawkeye impreza gb270 and I think I have a cracked exhaust manifold and I'm really struggling to work out wots best to buy I have already ordered a new center section and second cat mot friendly replacement pipe both cobra but want to keep the ppp rear box could I have some help and suggestions please would like to keep first cat as dont want any mot issues or lights on my dash thanks for any help
Old 06 April 2021, 08:28 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Why didn't you go for the PPP downpipe. Get some pictures up.
Old 07 April 2021, 12:08 AM
Smithygb270
Scooby Newbie

Default Jaygsi

Hi I should explain im not by any means a clued up owner I love my cars but I didn't eaven no that ppp was a option I bought the car at the weekend the opportunity arose and iv always wanted one so I took it to be honest mate so now I would like to make it as nice as possible without changing it to much
Old 07 April 2021, 12:47 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 273 Likes on 236 Posts

the only cat you need is the down pipe one , being a wrx i expect it has an up pipe cat ? which you can get rid of and free up a few bhp , plus it will still pass an mot with just the down pipe one , mid section does not need a cat or silencer and having a straight through pipe gives it a nice burble , if you have the ppp back box they are often very quiet even if they are well made , so to get the best noise use a straight through section , what makes you think the manifold is split , not saying it can’t happen but i don’t think it’s a very common issue , more likely to be a gasket i expect , have you had a listen for the noise of a leaking exhaust or are you getting other issues that make you think it’s cracked ?
Old 07 April 2021, 11:12 AM
Smithygb270
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
the only cat you need is the down pipe one , being a wrx i expect it has an up pipe cat ? which you can get rid of and free up a few bhp , plus it will still pass an mot with just the down pipe one , mid section does not need a cat or silencer and having a straight through pipe gives it a nice burble , if you have the ppp back box they are often very quiet even if they are well made , so to get the best noise use a straight through section , what makes you think the manifold is split , not saying it can’t happen but i don’t think it’s a very common issue , more likely to be a gasket i expect , have you had a listen for the noise of a leaking exhaust or are you getting other issues that make you think it’s cracked ?
Hi thank you for your input mate appreciate all the help I can get
I'm getting a noise that years ago I had on a 205 gti I had wich was a cracked manifold and when iv looked up the mot there was a advisory on there wich said slight leak from exhaust didnt specify were tho but i think it is coming from there but i have just looked in to booking it in at japex for its 50k service and timming belt aswell as having them fit the cat mot friendly replacement pipe and centre section so im going to see wot they say while they have it there if it needs a new manifold or not if it does the guy at japex has warned away from the japspeed one i was going to buy do you have any recommended brands for this
thanks
Old 07 April 2021, 11:41 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

hopefully it’s just a gasket , i had to tighten a nut on the manifold and that was job done , there nothing wrong with the standard manifold unless you are chasing horses/bhp or want to get rid of the burble with equal length headers , headers can be prone to failure not all of them but there are quite a few posts on here with them failing , i bought a jdm sti wagon which had headers fitted and they were literally crumbling , if it was me i would stay with what subaru fitted 👍
Old 07 April 2021, 12:08 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

googling subaru cracked manifold , it is normally a failed gasket , the bellows which is the part of the manifold at the front middle of the engine can sometimes fail but it’s not very common , my last fsti did 198k miles and the manifold was still fine , i did change the up pipe for a hayward and scott one , thinking it was leaking but found out later it was fine and was not leaking
Old 07 April 2021, 12:22 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Oh yea forgot about gaskets, had 2 go over the years, easy job to do.
Old 07 April 2021, 12:26 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

googling subaru cracked manifold , it is normally a failed gasket , the bellows which is the part of the manifold at the front middle of the engine can sometimes fail but it’s not very common , my last fsti did 198k miles and the manifold was still fine , i did change the up pipe for a hayward and scott one , thinking it was leaking but found out later it was fine and was not leaking
Old 07 April 2021, 02:19 PM
Smithygb270
Scooby Newbie

Ok thanks alot for the info I will put it in the garage and hopefully just replace gaskets really appreciate the info boys cheers
Old 07 April 2021, 02:52 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

don’t know why my reply went in here twice 😒😂 subaru gaskets are very good so best use them , icp import car parts sell them as a pack , worth buying what you need for the whole system front to back so it can be done there and then if it’s that 👍 fingers crossed it will be tighten it job or a new gasket and not too much £££ 👍
Old 07 April 2021, 03:51 PM
Smithygb270
Scooby Newbie

Excellent I will do exactly that thank you