Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2021, 06:51 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Headlight levelling sensor

Hi all,

2007 STi.
I saw on Friday that my headlight levelling sensor (the rear one) has broken. The connecting rod looks a bit like a ball jointed drop link, it's snapped clean in half.

However, I'm not getting a warning light on the dash, and I think the beam is ok, I don't think the beam has dropped downwards as a default setting.
The sensor looks easy enough to change, but I've seen the price of these sensors and it's shocking.

Can I just remove it, JB Weld the rod and strengthen it with some wire perhaps, or just leave it?
Old 04 April 2021, 07:20 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 273 Likes on 236 Posts

I would repair it , if it can be welded then do that ,i don’t think wire will last it will probably be 10 £ to weld it , they come up on ebay on and off
Old 04 April 2021, 07:49 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

I just wonder why's it's snapped....
Old 04 April 2021, 10:07 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 754 Likes on 625 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D
I just wonder why's it's snapped....
Seized ball joint/s.
If you are lucky you may find one of these or similar on the web

Old 04 April 2021, 11:15 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Thank you Don. Mission aborted. Top section came off fine - 2 bolts and a plastic retainer, unplugged sensor - easy.

Bottom part, took off the one bolt, but seemed stuck to the lower arm, looked like the bracket on the lower arm was going to shear, couldn't separate them. So put the top half back and plugged the sensor back in for now. No dash warning light - there was when I had the sensor unplugged of course.

The flat steel bar is completely bent like a horse shoe.... the bottom joint is seized, and the car has been up in the air several times recently. Bottom left, that's not a sneaky allen holding a lower arm bracket to the lower arm is it? It's this piece that I couldn't separate from the lower sensor bracket. My car is becoming a polished turd!

Last edited by Hawkeye D; 04 April 2021 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04 April 2021, 12:01 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Don , a question please , and sorry a slight hi jack of post 👍 on an unrelated parts question , so i took out the maf on the fsti to give it a clean it had a piece of metal clearly designed for the purpose , it was restricting the air flow hole at the bottom by about half , so the piece of metal was half the size of the maf air hole and stuck on to the maf , not there on the other fsti , any thoughts as to why or benefits please
Old 04 April 2021, 01:58 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Thank you Don. Mission aborted. Top section came off fine - 2 bolts and a plastic retainer, unplugged sensor - easy.

Bottom part, took off the one bolt, but seemed stuck to the lower arm, looked like the bracket on the lower arm was going to shear, couldn't separate them. So put the top half back and plugged the sensor back in for now. No dash warning light - there was when I had the sensor unplugged of course.

The flat steel bar is completely bent like a horse shoe.... the bottom joint is seized, and the car has been up in the air several times recently. Bottom left, that's not a sneaky allen holding a lower arm bracket to the lower arm is it? It's this piece that I couldn't separate from the lower sensor bracket. My car is becoming a polished turd!

A couple of links for the arm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/8012983719

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REAR-OEM-...-/132768585440

It should attach to the lateral link with just a single nut plus a location tang. Although some images of the sensor for the same item (84031FE000) show different shaped mount bracket.

Last edited by Don Clark; 04 April 2021 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04 April 2021, 02:17 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
Don , a question please , and sorry a slight hi jack of post 👍 on an unrelated parts question , so i took out the maf on the fsti to give it a clean it had a piece of metal clearly designed for the purpose , it was restricting the air flow hole at the bottom by about half , so the piece of metal was half the size of the maf air hole and stuck on to the maf , not there on the other fsti , any thoughts as to why or benefits please
Standard OEM maf with IAT for the FSTi is the same as the WRX STi 22680AA310

Had it been mapped in Japan? Does it have a non standard ECU??
Sounds as if it is trying to fudge the air flow value to the ECU
Old 04 April 2021, 03:01 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Brilliant, thanks Don
Old 04 April 2021, 04:02 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Hi Don Ecutek map in japan , re mapped here by FB tuning , hopefully ecu will re learn rather than needing a re map again , i can’t see any point in having it there so it’s been removed , if any thing is it not a help as it’s showing less air flow rather than more ?
Old 04 April 2021, 11:49 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi all,

2007 STi.
I saw on Friday that my headlight levelling sensor (the rear one) has broken. The connecting rod looks a bit like a ball jointed drop link, it's snapped clean in half.

However, I'm not getting a warning light on the dash, and I think the beam is ok, I don't think the beam has dropped downwards as a default setting.
The sensor looks easy enough to change, but I've seen the price of these sensors and it's shocking.

Can I just remove it, JB Weld the rod and strengthen it with some wire perhaps, or just leave it?
https://www.importcarparts.co.uk/par...y=&searchPart=
Old 05 April 2021, 07:18 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Yep, and ouch! Going to run without for now, I never carry anything in the boot or passengers or tow anything for that matter.
As long as the warning light stays out then that's good enough for me.
Next up would be to unplug the headlight levelling module which I believe is somewhere behind the glovebox, but I'm unsure of what to look for.....

I could do that and hope that the light beam stays normal and doesn't default to the ground!
Old 05 April 2021, 04:21 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep, and ouch! Going to run without for now, I never carry anything in the boot or passengers or tow anything for that matter.
As long as the warning light stays out then that's good enough for me.
Next up would be to unplug the headlight levelling module which I believe is somewhere behind the glovebox, but I'm unsure of what to look for.....

I could do that and hope that the light beam stays normal and doesn't default to the ground!
https://www.morepartz.co.uk/shop/ecu...ubaru/impreza/

I have not tried disconnecting this myself. :-)

also look here

https://www.morepartz.co.uk/shop/hea...ubaru/impreza/

Last edited by Beastie; 05 April 2021 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05 April 2021, 05:00 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

based on the fsti , once you disconnect the plug at the back of the light it won’t move , there is often an adjustment screw for height any way , i don’t even notice it working on one of my fsti even though it is working 👍
Old 07 April 2021, 06:49 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Had similar problems with mine, check out the links.

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-and-rear.html

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...here-from.html
Old 08 April 2021, 06:46 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Thank you Norm