Notices

Lambda Sensor HELP

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2011, 08:08 PM
Darren74
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lambda Sensor HELP

I have the Engine Management light up which has been diagnosed as the Lambda sensor. I bought one which arrived today & decided to change it this afternoon. Now the problem I borrowed my mates proper tool for the sensor but because it is so darn tight I've managed to round the socket part .
Now my thinking is that I'm going to have to remove the whole manifold to get better access to remove the sensor. Has anyone got any other way i could try before resorting to this method. If this is the only way then a how to remove the manifold would be greatly appreciated.
Old 16 December 2011, 10:13 PM
Devious
Scooby Regular

When u say "proper tool" do you mean the socket with the cut out down the side?

Ive found the best way to remove a lamba sensor is using a ring spanner. 22mm if i remember right.

Never rounded one using a spanner. But did have the same problem using the Lamba socket
Old 16 December 2011, 10:22 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

I plan to do this soon too, for the same reason. What needs to be removed to give access to the sensor? It is a 22mm spanner as far as I have been told.
Old 16 December 2011, 10:28 PM
Devious
Scooby Regular

Usually just the under tray and you can get to the sensor. But sometimes i have had to remove part of the heatshield also to gain better access.
Old 16 December 2011, 10:44 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devious
Usually just the under tray and you can get to the sensor. But sometimes i have had to remove part of the heatshield also to gain better access.
Old 17 December 2011, 07:26 AM
Darren74
Scooby Regular

By the way it's a 2004 STi, If you take the offside wheel off there is a small plastic part of the inner wing which gives you access to the sensor but not good access in my opinion. Yes it was the sockect with the cut out. I then tried a ring spanner but due to the position I found it impossible to get the ring end or open end on to the sensor. I think now that I've rounded this off I'm going to have to remove the manifold so I can get a good purchase on it with stilsons or something else.
Old 17 December 2011, 08:27 AM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

they can be as tight as a ducks **** to get out.you might need some heat on it and keep soaking it with some penetrating oil.it is better if you have access to it from under the car really so you can get a better hold of it.
Old 05 January 2012, 04:51 PM
Darren74
Scooby Regular

Default Fault light out

I decdided to pay someone else to do this for me in the end. New sensor was £95 delivered & cost me £156 to get it fitted bearing in mind it was so tight that the manifold had to be removed. Got Sumo Power just down the road from me and had a few bits done there including the sensor & very impressed with them. Nice not having the fault light starring me in the face constantly