Notices

Hawkeye Xenon Headlight Levelling Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2013, 04:48 PM
Muzza80
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hawkeye Xenon Headlight Levelling Sensor

So my auto-levelling light came on yesterday and surprise surprise when I checked the front sensor on the driver side one of the 3 pins has snapped inside the loom plug..... seems with what I've read online this is a common fault and badly sealed design!

Has anyone found an alternative solution to this as I've just been quoted £229 + VAT for the sensor which is outrageous to be honest.

Obviously this is a MOT failure too which is pretty bad.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Last edited by Muzza80; 15 April 2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 15 April 2013, 04:53 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

when I checked the front sensor on the driver side one of the 3 pint has snapped inside the loom plug
Unsure what you mean by this? if it's just the electrical connector, surely you can remove it and repair it?
Old 15 April 2013, 05:03 PM
Muzza80
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Unsure what you mean by this? if it's just the electrical connector, surely you can remove it and repair it?
The sensor itself has 3 pins and water get's in, one of the pins snaps and this throws up the dash light/points the headlights at the floor (default state)

The sensor is a sealed unit, you cant really replace the pin and even getting what's left of it out of both the sensor and the loom plug is not really doable without drilling it out or something.

There's been a few posts about the same issue:

https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/920477-hawkeye-headlight-levelling.html

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...ing-light.html

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...m-leveler.html
Old 07 August 2013, 12:16 PM
Alwyn Evans
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have exactly the same problem. Did you manage to find a new sensor and loom plug?
Old 07 August 2013, 12:26 PM
Muzza80
Scooby Regular

Hi mate, I got one from a breaker.

I asked for a rear sensor and for them to cut off the plug and a length of the loom too which they did.

I asked for a rear sensor, they don't have the same issue with water ingress as the front due to the way they sit. I've not actually fitted it yet as I managed a bodge by drilling a a tiny hole right next to the pin on the sensor and the socket on the plug then inserted a section of steel wire (or paperclip or solder or something) in the hole.

It's working but I don't know how long it will last, I've the spare sensor/plug for when it does fail though and I'll be sure to seal it up better this time than they do in the factory.

Last edited by Muzza80; 07 August 2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07 August 2013, 12:52 PM
Steve's Sti
Scooby Regular

i fitted a hatch 1.6r front sensor to my hawk with a wee bit of swaping bits its been working fine for two years, 35 quid is a hell of alot better than 230+ vat each!
Old 07 August 2013, 01:01 PM
Muzza80
Scooby Regular

Sounds good! So did the sensor plug that's attached to the main loom on our cars fit the sensor off the Hatch fine? What did you do about the broken pin inside the loom plug (assuming that was your issue?)

Was that price new? What's the bets the sensor is the same bloody part just the linkage differs!

Cheers!
Old 07 August 2013, 01:07 PM
Steve's Sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Muzza80
Sounds good! So did the sensor plug that's attached to the main loom on our cars fit the sensor off the Hatch fine? What did you do about the broken pin inside the loom plug (assuming that was your issue?)

Was that price new? What's the bets the sensor is the same bloody part just the linkage differs!

Cheers!
aye the connector plugged straight in, it was the middle plug if i remember, i had to completely strip the plug then remove the broken part, greased up the connectors then installed. covered any delicate areas with silicone, had to adjust the lights at night by moving the sensor until the were at correct height then bolted all together. Was a gamble but a much much cheaper option, i can't believe they charge so much for something thats empty inside lol

That was second hand but it was like new, the linkages were different but swaping one at a time until it was fine did the trick lol

Last edited by Steve's Sti; 07 August 2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07 August 2013, 01:12 PM
Steve's Sti
Scooby Regular

just seen this!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-For...item4174e93944
Old 07 August 2013, 01:36 PM
Muzza80
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve's Sti
Nice find.

If the broken pin is the issue I'd still be inclined with a rear from a breakers with the plug for £50 or so.

How easy did the loom plug come apart to the point that you were able to access and remove the broken pin?

Cheers!
Old 07 August 2013, 01:40 PM
Steve's Sti
Scooby Regular

plug was easy enough bit fiddly but just unclipped the wires and gently dismantled, used small metal wire to prod it out just patients is needed as its rather fiddly. I didn't have a spare plug so had to make do with what i had, if youve a spare id strip it ready etc i just made sure it was all water tight before i left it
Old 07 August 2013, 01:48 PM
Muzza80
Scooby Regular

I never even thought I'd be able to do that.

I was literally going to cut the old one off and solder join up the new one as the breaker left a good length of wire on it, if I can do it like this then that will save me the hassle of soldering and making sure it's all watertight.

Cheers!
Old 07 August 2013, 01:52 PM
Steve's Sti
Scooby Regular

aye it took me 10 mins i think at most splits to 5 parts if i remember long time ago i did it, just give the contacts a good clean before you replace strip your old one then next time its a piece lol
Old 12 October 2015, 10:46 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Just found this thread -some useful info thanks.

I have bought a new front level sensor for my RB320. I have since found out that the plug is also corroded and unsuable - does anyone know where I can buy one of these separately (preferably new).

Thanks,

Ian.
Old 15 October 2015, 09:45 AM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Hi, has anyone had a similar issue that can help with this? Thanks, Ian.
Old 24 October 2015, 05:05 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Still looking for a plug - does anyone know where I can get one (new or second hand)?

Thanks,

Ian.
Old 24 October 2015, 05:08 PM
Steve's Sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ian E
Still looking for a plug - does anyone know where I can get one (new or second hand)?

Thanks,

Ian.
Is the plug really bad? Usually just a pin breaks inside, at a guess any of the breakers will have what you need failing that main dealer probably can get you one just depends on connector, you might get lucky and its a common connector and can get replacement online
Old 24 October 2015, 08:37 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Is the plug really bad? Usually just a pin breaks inside, at a guess any of the breakers will have what you need failing that main dealer probably can get you one just depends on connector, you might get lucky and its a common connector and can get replacement online
Many thanks for the reply.

Yes I am told the existing plug can't be used due to corrosion etc. I have tried some of the breakers but not found one yet. I will check with the Main Dealer but from what I have heard they aren't available.
Old 24 October 2015, 08:45 PM
Steve's Sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ian E
Many thanks for the reply.

Yes I am told the existing plug can't be used due to corrosion etc. I have tried some of the breakers but not found one yet. I will check with the Main Dealer but from what I have heard they aren't available.

Thing is unless the plastic is chewed up you can replace the female pins in the connector, the subarus from hawk onwards have these even a 1.5 hatch there is plenty out there

Cheers
Steve
Old 25 October 2015, 12:24 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Thing is unless the plastic is chewed up you can replace the female pins in the connector, the subarus from hawk onwards have these even a 1.5 hatch there is plenty out there

Cheers
Steve
Thanks
Old 09 November 2015, 11:10 AM
JWalle
Scooby Regular

The warning light has just come up on my dash, a few weeks before it would flash up and go but is now on permanently. Could it possibly be linked with me fitting a new battery?

I'm not the most handiest of people, but would anyone be able to point me in the direction of where to look for the sensors as I have no idea what i'm looking for.
Old 09 November 2015, 11:55 AM
Steve's Sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JWalle
The warning light has just come up on my dash, a few weeks before it would flash up and go but is now on permanently. Could it possibly be linked with me fitting a new battery?

I'm not the most handiest of people, but would anyone be able to point me in the direction of where to look for the sensors as I have no idea what i'm looking for.

Jack driverd side up and remove both wheels, attached to the wishbones is the sensor with plastic arms. From what i have noticed all the sensors are the same however the legs are different lengths, check that water hasnt got into the box or the connector. The easiest way to know is if the lights are higher or lower from normal, make sure no moisture gets in to them
Old 09 November 2015, 01:44 PM
JWalle
Scooby Regular

Thanks for coming back so quick Steve. I think there may be moisture as the lights sit slightly higher than usual I believe. If there isn't any moisture, is there a reset procedure or something? If it needs replacing is it a cheap and simple fix?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09 November 2015, 01:55 PM
Steve's Sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JWalle
Thanks for coming back so quick Steve. I think there may be moisture as the lights sit slightly higher than usual I believe. If there isn't any moisture, is there a reset procedure or something? If it needs replacing is it a cheap and simple fix?

Thanks in advance!

If there isnt significant moisture check the pin isnt broken in the connector if it is you will need another sensor buy 2nd hand and fully seal the unit, ive sealed mines and removed the arms so headlights stay in same position