Sponsored by:

Fixing arches

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2021, 11:48 PM
Bobbyjunk
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing arches

Looking for opinions and peoples past experiences with arch repairs.

I've had my arches repaired, rust cut and welded. How long did the repair last?

I've had my work done about 3 months ago and it looks like the edges have started to rust already. Possibly edges weren't sealed and rust has got into the metal.
Old 24 February 2021, 10:38 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Sounds like a bad repair job if I'm honest mate.

Have you got any pictures
Old 24 February 2021, 01:43 PM
Bobbyjunk
Scooby Newbie

Yeah that's what I thought too

Old 24 February 2021, 05:13 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Doesn't look like they have been finished properly. Do you have any pictures of the work that was carried out.
Old 24 February 2021, 05:33 PM
Bobbyjunk
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
Doesn't look like they have been finished properly. Do you have any pictures of the work that was carried out.
No afraid not. They didnt provide me photos of the work.
I'm going to go back to them and request they fix their work
Old 24 February 2021, 10:47 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Even though rust repairs like that won't last forever in this country, 3 months doesn't seem acceptable. It's a high impact area from stone chips so it might be worth sacrificing some of the smooth paint and stone chipping it, or using some epoxy mastic base on the paint before the colour coat.
The following users liked this post:
Old 24 February 2021, 11:12 PM
Bobbyjunk
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ST-X
Even though rust repairs like that won't last forever in this country, 3 months doesn't seem acceptable. It's a high impact area from stone chips so it might be worth sacrificing some of the smooth paint and stone chipping it, or using some epoxy mastic base on the paint before the colour coat.
Thanks the the reply. I appreciate it.
the car has barely been driven since it's been done.
Old 24 February 2021, 11:18 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bobbyjunk
Thanks the the reply. I appreciate it.
the car has barely been driven since it's been done.
No worries. I've just spotted where you're based, who did the work? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to cause any bad blood with the bodyshop before they look at it. I've spent the last few years chasing rust around my car and found what things work better for me than others through trial and error.
Old 25 February 2021, 08:02 AM
Shane
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Had my classic done 5 years ago and there's no sign of any rust returning, there was a hell of a lot of waxoil and seem sealer used to ensure it wouldn't return and it appears to be working.
Old 25 February 2021, 10:38 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Looking over your pictures it doesn't look like the wheel arches were touched. Now thats fine depending on the level of rust repair required and rust proofing you wanted. Paint doesn't seem to have adhered to the undercoat properly or not a lot of base coats were used. Do you know how many coats of paint and lacquer etc they used.

But with rust appearing there so quickly especially if it hasn't been driven much then I would also suggested taking out your rear carpets/liners in the boot and check for rust there, you should also be able to get a good look on the inner arch.

If you don't mind my asking how much was the repair

Old 25 February 2021, 11:55 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I feel like they may say that your wheels being closer to the arch than standard has increased the impact rate of debris hitting it and therefore wear and tare.

Hope they fix it for you.
Old 28 February 2021, 11:30 AM
Bobbyjunk
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
Looking over your pictures it doesn't look like the wheel arches were touched. Now thats fine depending on the level of rust repair required and rust proofing you wanted. Paint doesn't seem to have adhered to the undercoat properly or not a lot of base coats were used. Do you know how many coats of paint and lacquer etc they used.

But with rust appearing there so quickly especially if it hasn't been driven much then I would also suggested taking out your rear carpets/liners in the boot and check for rust there, you should also be able to get a good look on the inner arch.

If you don't mind my asking how much was the repair
Interesting you say this. The rust is in the same place it got repaired. Now I'm wondering if he did cut the arches out. The guy didnt really tell me much about the repair he done. Thanks I will take a look at my boot
It was £300 a side for the repair work
Old 28 February 2021, 12:44 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Wow £300 a side, if he's not cut and fitted new arches thats a rip off. I did my own arches on an old Vauxhall years ago, didn't cut anything out just sanded the rust back and used rust proofing stuff, then painted. Lasted about 3 years. Thats not been cut out. looks like he's just rubbed it back and painted it. Needs doing again.
Old 28 February 2021, 04:30 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bobbyjunk
Interesting you say this. The rust is in the same place it got repaired. Now I'm wondering if he did cut the arches out. The guy didnt really tell me much about the repair he done. Thanks I will take a look at my boot
It was £300 a side for the repair work
Who was it that did the work? There are some reasonable places in Edinburgh and a lot of terrible ones.

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Wow £300 a side, if he's not cut and fitted new arches thats a rip off. I did my own arches on an old Vauxhall years ago, didn't cut anything out just sanded the rust back and used rust proofing stuff, then painted. Lasted about 3 years. Thats not been cut out. looks like he's just rubbed it back and painted it. Needs doing again.
I'd disagree, I think it has been replaced with fresh metal as the stock arches have a profile to them where the rubber lip sits that looks like a step, whereas that is a smooth continuous contour from the outer panel. That said, the prep work beyond the lip looks pretty poor with painted over stone chips and some sanding marks under the lacquer where they've blended it in.

Last edited by ST-X; 28 February 2021 at 04:35 PM.
Old 28 February 2021, 05:15 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jaygsi
£600 to do that would be worryingly cheap to me. Sanding the surface rust off is not really the order of the day for these.
Old 28 February 2021, 05:39 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm agreeing with James -- £300 seems cheap to cut out and fit new metal. More like rub down and re-paint for £300....

Seem to think I have seen a post where Scobbyclinic were charging a member £750 -£850 a side depending on how bad things were...

Last edited by albob; 28 February 2021 at 05:44 PM.
Old 28 February 2021, 06:32 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

For reference, this is what normal rear arches look like (rust included) with the stepped lip where the rear guard normally sits:

Old 12 April 2021, 12:33 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Guess depends where you live. I'm not talking about inner arch just outer arch, Its not rocket science. One garage did want over a grand.

Just had inner rear arches done by a mate, £300 both sides. Of course this isn't going to fix all the rust issues on the car, but he cut inner arches out till hit solid metal, and cut out any rust in strut turrets and welded new plates in, rust proofed and undersealed took a day to do.

Car is now more solid than it was, should out last a good few years.

Originally Posted by albob
I'm agreeing with James -- £300 seems cheap to cut out and fit new metal. More like rub down and re-paint for £300....

Seem to think I have seen a post where Scobbyclinic were charging a member £750 -£850 a side depending on how bad things were...