What alarm is this?

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2020, 06:54 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts
Default What alarm is this?

Hi all,

Just curious at this stage, but is this a standard Subaru alarm on my STi Hawk? I don't have a separate fob, just one button on a standard key. I have a small metal tag with a 5 digit number stamped on it.
Isn't this fuse box cover meant to be an empty storage tray for coins etc? I'm wondering if this alarm is standard or after market?

Old 06 December 2020, 07:01 AM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

Looks like the Sigma unit that I think was fitted to all UK Subaru's when they were brought into the country by IM. The car actually has two immobilisers, the Sigma and also the factory fit Subaru one. Sigma works off the button/keypad and the Subaru one works by a little chip hidden inside the key.

That metal tag I don't think has anything to do with the alarm but is actually a way to identify the key if I remember right. Sigma code, assuming it hasn't been changed, should be in your manual wallet.
The following users liked this post:
Old 06 December 2020, 08:08 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RockyRoad
Looks like the Sigma unit that I think was fitted to all UK Subaru's when they were brought into the country by IM. The car actually has two immobilisers, the Sigma and also the factory fit Subaru one. Sigma works off the button/keypad and the Subaru one works by a little chip hidden inside the key.

That metal tag I don't think has anything to do with the alarm but is actually a way to identify the key if I remember right. Sigma code, assuming it hasn't been changed, should be in your manual wallet.
Yep you're right, the metal tag is a key number, just found it in the book.

But no alarm code anywhere that I can find in any of the books.
I want to try and disable it until I can work out why it goes off sometimes after a minute of locking it with the button on the key.
Old 06 December 2020, 08:10 AM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

It's a 4 digit code on a silver sticker on the inside of the actual wallet. Unless somebody has removed it.

I'm sure you can input a code to see what last triggered the alarm. Let me see if I can dig out a manual somewhere.
Old 06 December 2020, 08:22 AM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

This explains how to change your pin:

And to check the last trigger:

To enter the programming PIN code, the alarm system must first be armed and then disarmed using a valid remote key. (or keypad using the PIN code)* 17856 * must then be entered within 30 seconds of disarming the system. This is then followed by a 2digit function code, then another * and then sometimes optional parameters as shown in the following tables.It is important to remember the * key is used to separate the various parts of the code like this:* programming PIN code * function code * parameter #. The # key is pressed at the end of allsequences and is used like the “enter” key on a computer keyboard .

The following users liked this post:
Old 06 December 2020, 12:02 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Thank you very much indeed RR.
Looks like it was my bonnet trigger that set the alarm off last time I got fuel and deafened everyone
That at least gives me an area to zoom in on. The switch doesn't look damaged or chewed, but will keep an eye on it. The bonnet was 100% fully closed when the alarm went off.

It flashed very quickly, but clearly 8 rather than a 4 or a 16 for example.

I'm also keeping an eye on battery voltages at the moment, so may experiment with number 9 above.
Also 4, 7 and 8 for shats / giggles

Massive help (to me and others), thank you again
Old 06 December 2020, 03:30 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

The switch has a plug on it so you can just unplug it to get a multimeter on it. They're not expensive to buy thankfully but if the switch is ok then you're probably going to have a horrible time tracing the wires back through the car.
Old 06 December 2020, 03:57 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Update.

Removed the bonnet trigger and used electrical cleaner on the plug and on the trigger pins. Took off the rubber boot and gave it a good spray. The movement seems fine.

Then over to the earth that is bolted to the NSF inner wing just by the battery. That and an earth from the battery are bolted together. It was nasty old grease covered in muck. Unbolted, cleaned, sanded the washer and eye holes.

Put it all back dry, tightened and fresh grease over the top.
Held my thumb on the trigger switch, locked the car...30 seconds later took my thumb off and the alarm sounded - happy days.

Also left my thumb off the switch, locked the car and the siren went off telling me something was open. All in all the switch seems ok, and now a good clean earth.
The bracket that holds the switch is pretty flexible, so it may have needed just bending slightly to get it to close 100% when the bonnet slams down.

Anyway, I'm confident now that it was perhaps a bad earth, filthy and a little furry etc. Who knows, perhaps these few measures have cured my battery and alarm issue all in one.

Old 01 February 2021, 06:42 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Gutted, alarm went off again tonight. Looks like the last trigger was the bonnet switch again.

Does anyone know the part number? 2007 STi.
I've looked on ebay, they all look ropey and in poor condition....would rather buy a new one if not a silly price. Can't see anything on ICP for it.

Is it even a Subaru part, or maybe a Sigma part number?

Old 01 February 2021, 07:53 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

any quality bonnet switch will do , it will be a sigma part , but just look in ebay for a good one and fit that 👍
Old 02 February 2021, 02:32 PM
ProdriveTim
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had similar problems with my Spec D a few years back - the alarm actually went off when I was driving it at one stage! Cut a long story short, I got the whole thing replaced with amore modern system and never looked back. That said, I hardly ever used the car which I am sure didn't help out.
Old 02 February 2021, 06:48 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

How can I test my bonnet trigger switch and wiring? I have a standard multimeter, nothing special just a £10 Draper one which I use to test my battery.

What setting do I put it to, and what should I be seeing? I need to know how to test the switch and the wiring plug that plugs into the switch.....

Old 02 February 2021, 07:46 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe the switch just needs adjusting.