General opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2020, 10:27 AM
MFD
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default General opinions

Morning,

Just joined up, and hoping to purchase my first Impreza soon. Provisionally sold my Megane RS250 Cup.

Question to the forum is, with circa £14k to spend, where would your money be today and why? I'm torn and looking for some guidance. One minute I'm looking at forged UK hatches, the next at standard JDM bug/blobs/hawks....

Hoping that whatever I buy will be fun to own, but also something that will be desirable in time to come if/when I sell on.

Car will be doing 6k ish a year, occasionally with a wee one in the back.

Opinions please folks!

Old 02 December 2020, 11:07 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 381 Likes on 303 Posts

something like a UK 330S Hatch always seem to command a premium otherwise the likes of a JDM Spec-C would be on my shopping list (as long as your insurer approves)
Old 02 December 2020, 11:12 AM
MFD
Scooby Regular

Yeah, 330s would be great but would need to be forged and not sure that's in budget.

If I can get a Spec C for the money I'd be chuffed.

Any dealers to avoid?

Hurst, powerplay, pole position, DSI motors and a few others seem to be selling and not heard much about any vendor.
Old 02 December 2020, 05:05 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 641 Likes on 467 Posts

Import a nice jdm spec C, should be possible on your budget, but the waiting is a killer.
The following users liked this post:
MFD
Old 02 December 2020, 07:38 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Daily? Weekend car? What are your priorities? Always difficult to offer any meaningful feedback in the absence of context.

Personally I’ve just gone back to a classic for a fun car having had 2 of them before, a blob and a hawk. Nothing post 2007 interests me as I like my cars raw and light. Your taste might be different, and it would be different for me if I had to use it daily.

For further context, I much prefer the R26 to the Mk3 Megane RS
Old 02 December 2020, 07:46 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

This one is in budget and on paper seems to have a pretty awesome spec as well as low miles.

https://www.briandowniecarsales.co.u...02002277776829

I’d want to inspect it as being an Aberdeenshire car it may have been more exposed to the elements than most.

The owner is on here - see post #31 in the “Market values” thread.

ETA: I see the owner has posted on your FB thread

Last edited by plenty; 02 December 2020 at 07:55 PM.
MFD
Old 02 December 2020, 08:02 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

have a look at torque GT
MFD
Old 02 December 2020, 08:19 PM
MFD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by plenty
Daily? Weekend car? What are your priorities? Always difficult to offer any meaningful feedback in the absence of context.

Personally I’ve just gone back to a classic for a fun car having had 2 of them before, a blob and a hawk. Nothing post 2007 interests me as I like my cars raw and light. Your taste might be different, and it would be different for me if I had to use it daily.

For further context, I much prefer the R26 to the Mk3 Megane RS
Boooo. I've had 3 x Mk3 250's and they are so capable. Not saying the R26 isn't but that's another argument!!

Fair comment re context. Daily-ish. Short commute (10miles each way circa 3 or 4 times a week). Occasional track day. Not looking for a race car, but a road car that is competent on track and road.
Old 02 December 2020, 08:26 PM
MFD
Scooby Regular

This one is in budget and on paper seems to have a pretty awesome spec as well as low miles.

https://www.briandowniecarsales.co.u...02002277776829

I’d want to inspect it as being an Aberdeenshire car it may have been more exposed to the elements than most.

The owner is on here - see post #31 in the “Market values” thread.

ETA: I see the owner has posted on your FB thread

Thanks mate. I've had so many enquiries through FB it is hard to filter and keep on top, but this one has caught my eye.

Not the colour I want, but the spec cannot be ignored. Initially confused me being a UK 2.5 with a stroked 2.1...
Old 02 December 2020, 08:49 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MFD
Boooo. I've had 3 x Mk3 250's and they are so capable. Not saying the R26 isn't but that's another argument!!

Fair comment re context. Daily-ish. Short commute (10miles each way circa 3 or 4 times a week). Occasional track day. Not looking for a race car, but a road car that is competent on track and road.
The mk3 is no doubt an objectively better car but the R26 is more fun, imo. Smaller, nimbler, more of an event to drive.

That’s very much a personal thing though - I can’t think of a single car built after 2010 that I prefer to earlier versions.

Assuming you like the mod cons then a hatch or saloon should not be ignored, although I personally think the sweet spot of modernity vs old-school charm is the widetrack blobeye. UK spec gives you the reliable 2.0 plus the burble...
MFD
Old 02 December 2020, 09:00 PM
MFD
Scooby Regular

The mk3 is no doubt an objectively better car but the R26 is more fun, imo. Smaller, nimbler, more of an event to drive.

That’s very much a personal thing though - I can’t think of a single car built after 2010 that I prefer to earlier versions.

Assuming you like the mod cons then a hatch or saloon should not be ignored, although I personally think the sweet spot of modernity vs old-school charm is the widetrack blobeye. UK spec gives you the reliable 2.0 plus the burble...
Yeah, these things are always subjective, but for a modern hatch the Mk3 is still pretty raw. However, I am generally with you on that.

I'm leaning towards a newage widetrack, I really resent paying the big boy tax on UK 2.5's....

Love the burble, but equally love the noise the JDM cars with equals make on full chat!
Old 02 December 2020, 09:05 PM
plenty
Scooby Regular

The noise from JDM cars is very exhaust dependent. H+S the best sounding imo by a long way.

Worth noting the blob has a more rear-biased DCCD compared with the hawk, and its handling is more entertaining as a result.
MFD
Old 02 December 2020, 09:33 PM
MFD
Scooby Regular

The noise from JDM cars is very exhaust dependent. H+S the best sounding imo by a long way.

Worth noting the blob has a more rear-biased DCCD compared with the hawk, and its handling is more entertaining as a result.
Good to know, thanks.

I thought I roughly knew one Impreza from the other until I started looking properly...
Old 03 December 2020, 07:31 PM
MFD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamesfromrugby
Something better than an old impreza would be my choice with 14k.
Where would your dolla be then?
Old 04 December 2020, 11:18 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Could get a nice hawk for that and have the budget to forge the engine. 2.5 is a far better road engine than the 2.0 imo.

P.s. yes that's just thrown a grenade in the room hahahaha
Old 05 December 2020, 07:18 AM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Import a nice jdm spec C, should be possible on your budget, but the waiting is a killer.
I second this 👆. That budget should get you a half decent Spec C although import prices are strong at the moment, usually the fresh imports are far better condition than U.K. cars. I prefer the blobs but then I am biased, not too much difference between the blob and hawk though. I hear good things about Torque GT if you are looking at imports, just make sure you get them to provide the auction sheet or get a carvx report done. I’ve just imported a spec c with Tom at Sprinting Hare JDM, you get a bit more of a personal touch going with someone like that.
MFD
Old 08 December 2020, 08:55 PM
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi.
If you need any help with insurance at all for any model you're looking at then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
Old 08 December 2020, 09:52 PM
Dreep
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

For a start seeing as you are not too far away I would recommend speaking to Chris @ Aberdeenshire Imports. He's imported quite a few cars now for various people on here (all high end, nice stuff too). £14k is a good budget to get something from Japan if you fancied importing.

I've watched the auctions for the past 5-6 months now, whilst looking for a replacement JDM STI and what I will say is the general prices for these cars have hiked quite dramatically. So IMO, the Spec C premium is now getting silly and to the point where it just isn't worth paying the extra for one, especially when you spend the time to do some research and actually see what little differences there really are between a Spec C and a JDM STI of the same model year.

In terms of resale value I suppose it's whether you are looking for something to appreciate in value, or just not lose value. The Spec C and RA cars will continue to appreciate over time although I don't see you losing money on a JDM STI any time soon.