Looking to buy!

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2007, 10:07 AM
SL25
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy!

Hi all,

I've been lurking on this forum for a while now, just checking things out bit by bit but am after some advice. I did do a search but couldn't find anything, I'm pretty sure these questions will have been asked before though so if there's any threads you could point me towards that would be great.

I currently drive a Nissan 200SX and am looking to purchase a UK 2000 AWD Impreza wagon as my wife is now 7 months pregnant and I want something a little more practical.

I'm off to look at one on Saturday but just wondered if anyone could give me some pointers to look out for. Obviously, a SH is a requirement but are there any common faults on these cars I can keep an eye out for? What are the weak points, if any, with the engines etc?

Any info would be appreciated.
Old 01 August 2007, 10:39 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your looking for the usual performance car problems, clutches, gearboxes, smoking engines really, also noisy diffs, but depends on what year car/model your looking at as there are some year specific problems related to certain models (piston slap on 97/98 models and 99/00 models suffered from MAF problems for example) and if in doubt, pay for an inspection, if the owner is unwilling for you to do this, walk away as they are hiding something.

Tony
Old 01 August 2007, 11:06 AM
SL25
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Tony,

The car I'm viewing on Saturday is a 99 model with 110K on the clock. what sort of issues does this model have with the MAF?

I'll do the usual checks on clutch, smoke, electrics etc but if there are any other pointers that would be great.

Thanks for your help!